Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-22-2016, 07:56 AM

1,223 posts, read 2,266,259 times

Advertisements

So right now I think I am approaching a commuting nightmare scenario. Me and my wife are newlyweds without kids. We do enjoy occasional nights out in the city and more often go to dinners for fun. I just started a job in crystal city which pays significantly more money. My wife is in between jobs and going to school twice a week in Richmond. Good news, she just got offered her dream job. Bad news, it's in RICHMOND. Now I am in this scenario where we may be working 2 hours apart. Now I considered the option of one of us giving up our job fully understand that is possible. What I would like to know is what would do to make this awful scenario doable?

a) Live in Fredericksburg and sacrifice social life. I would have VRE and slug/carpool as options and she would drive an hour.

b) Live in Woodbrige/Lorton which is about as close as we would want to stay on the DC side but significantly lengthen her commute to 75-80 minutes (not very chivalrous to me). I would have several options to keep my commute in the "somewhat reasonable" range.

c) Live in the Richmond-area with lower cost of living, decent city amenities, easy commute but an absolute nightmare of a commute for me.

d) other suggestions?

note: I already know that one person giving up their job is an option.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-22-2016, 08:03 AM

857 posts, read 843,957 times
Personally, I would say living in Fredericksburg is a more reasonable choice that would not be a huge nightmare commuting wise for either one of you. It is 1.5hrs via VRE from Old Town Fburg to Crystal City and about 45mins to an hour to Richmond; not too terrible. While the Fburg social scene does lack (trust me I know; lived there for 8 years and just recently moved north), it seems to be a better option here IMO. For social stuff you could always drive to Richmond (easier than heading north by any means), or just hit up a few restaurants in downtown Fburg.

Old 04-22-2016, 08:10 AM

Forgot to add to the original post. I do not see how living in Woodbridge would be any more beneficial than Fburg; while closer to DC, I'd say Fburg has more shopping (regular store options) and is not such a terrible commute for either one of you. You'd also get more for your $. Also, they did just recently open a new VRE station in Spotsy, so using either that one or one in Fburg should be easier now since I would imagine a lot of folks from points south of Fburg used the one downtown resulting in more congestion.

Old 04-22-2016, 08:10 AM

2,262 posts, read 2,398,522 times
Fredericksburg though is far from Arlington -- I wouldn't recommend that commute even if a person is slugging, taking VRE, etc. It's just brutal no matter how you slice it. At least if you guys are in Woodbridge/Dumfries you're close-ish to Arlington so your commute is tolerable and your wife will have a reverse commute. May not be ideal but it won't be as awful as yours would be going from Fredericksburg to Crystal City.

Old 04-22-2016, 08:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NOVA_guy View Post
Fredericksburg though is far from Arlington -- I wouldn't recommend that commute even if a person is slugging. It's just brutal. At least if you guys are in Woodbridge/Dumfries you're close-ish to Arlington so your commute is tolerable and your wife will have a reverse commute. May not be ideal but it won't be as awful as yours would be going from Fredericksburg to Crystal City.

I would second that if driving, but given the VRE, if that choice is possible with work location, work times, etc. it is doable.

Old 04-22-2016, 08:15 AM

2,262 posts, read 2,398,522 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MedvedActual View Post
I would second that if driving, but given the VRE, if that choice is possible with work location, work times, etc. it is doable.
It may be doable but would the person be happy? No matter what mode of transportation you're using, it's still long. I used to live in Stafford and slugging helped but it felt like my entire day was centered around my commute. I couldn't imagine going even further south to Fredericksburg.

Old 04-22-2016, 08:15 AM

6,558 posts, read 8,389,581 times
I think living in Fredericksburg would be the better option while utilizing VRE for your commute north.

Maybe it won't be comparable to a social life in Richmond or Arlington/DC but I think you would be able to develop a decent social life in Fredericksburg.

Old 04-22-2016, 08:25 AM

6,558 posts, read 8,389,581 times
Quote:
It may be doable but would the person be happy? No matter what mode of transportation you're using, it's still long. I used to live in Stafford and slugging helped but it felt like my entire day was centered around my commute. I couldn't imagine going even further south to Fredericksburg.
If OP were to choose Woodbridge and decided to drive, it would be about an hour.

If he lived in Fredericksburg and took the train, it would add 30 minutes to his commute while cutting down his wife's commute by about 30 minutes which IMO, has some benefits - less gas, less wear & tear, and safer overall(oftentimes when it snows in NoVA, it's raining in Fredericksburg and the more time spent on I95 increases the risk for an accident).

So OP's commute would be 90 minutes while his wife's would be about an hour. I'm not sure of the reverse commute being a benefit because once you hit Fredericksburg, I suspect many people are commuting south toward & around Richmond.

And like MedVed said, they'll get more bang for their buck as far as housing and nightlife in Woodbridge is nearly nonexistent.

Last edited by HokieFan; 04-22-2016 at 08:35 AM..

Old 04-22-2016, 08:26 AM

Quote:

Agree that it is not an ideal situation by any means, but neither is for two people who live together having jobs 100 miles apart - especially in an extremely congested area that we live in. To me, Fburg is kind of in the middle vs. say Woodbridge which, regardless of a reverse commute for his wife, still adds a few miles to her trip. Suppose between those two choices it's up to the OP to decide.

Old 04-22-2016, 08:33 AM

1,630 posts, read 2,359,253 times
@OP: Where do you currently live?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia