Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-25-2016, 02:44 PM

31 posts, read 50,994 times

Advertisements

Hi, all - looking for some advice!

My family and I are moving to the DC area from Los Angeles next year and are considering Northern Virginia. (We're also open to Maryland.) Currently, we're looking at Great Falls, but have only just started our research. We're hoping for some recommendations about the best places to look.

- We both work from home, so commute is not an issue.
- We're in our late 30s/mid 40s, have one child, and will be looking to have two more children. Hoping for a family-friendly area with excellent public schools, low crime, and large lots. We currently have zero backyard in Los Angeles, which is one of the main reasons we're moving.
- Our budget is no more than $900K. Hoping to find something in the $800K range.
- Wishlist is 4 BR, 3 BA
- We're open to a tear-down or renovation
- Liberal attitude (or at least not wildly conservative) and nice neighbors who aren't overly materialistic/have their heads firmly on their shoulders would be a plus
- My husband would like to be close(ish) to a metro, so that we can get into DC easily on the weekends for museums with the kids, etc.

Would love to hear any thoughts or recommendations.

Thanks!

Last edited by lothcreb; 04-25-2016 at 02:59 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-25-2016, 02:58 PM

2,768 posts, read 3,504,333 times
Great Falls is a nice area but that's the last place I would go if you're looking for down to earth people who aren't overly materialistic. It's actually one of the only areas in Fairfax County that votes Republican but it's not a wildly conservative area -- more like tax the other guy but not me.

Old 04-25-2016, 03:00 PM

Ah, good to know, thank you. Any recommendations for other places we might look?

Old 04-25-2016, 03:05 PM

5,125 posts, read 10,043,162 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lothcreb View Post
Ah, good to know, thank you. Any recommendations for other places we might look?
I don't live in Great Falls, but I don't agree fully with the prior characterization by gomason.

There are many expensive homes in GF, but if you don't need to worry about commuting you can find a nice house with an acre of more for under $900K. In general, prices will drop the further west you head. You can drive to the Wiehle Avenue Metro station in Reston to go downtown (although weekend service on Metro leaves something to be desired).

On the other hand, if you meant 1/2 acre when you referred to a "large lot," rather than an acre or more, there are other places you can look that are closer to DC and attract more liberal residents. Oakton and Vienna are two such places that come to mind.

Old 04-25-2016, 03:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JD984 View Post
I don't live in Great Falls, but I don't agree fully with the prior characterization by gomason.

There are many expensive homes in GF, but if you don't need to worry about commuting you can find a nice house with an acre of more for under $900K. In general, prices will drop the further west you head.
Thank you so much, this is very helpful!

I've seen some threads talking about how traffic is a nightmare around there, but since we won't be commuting from DC and are also coming from LA, I don't mind being fairly far out. The most important thing for us is finding a nice place to raise our children with some space. After years of LA townhouse-living (and prior to that, NYC), we want to stretch our legs and enjoy a little green space!

Old 04-25-2016, 03:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JD984 View Post
On the other hand, if you meant 1/2 acre when you referred to a "large lot," rather than an acre or more, there are other places you can look that are closer to DC and attract more liberal residents. Oakton and Vienna are two such places that come to mind.
For some reason, the second part of your response didn't show up for me earlier, so I missed this bit.

Ideally, we'd like an acre, but no less than half an acre. I'll add Oakton and Vienna to the list, however, because if it's a half-acre in a brilliant school district and a nice home that we can stay in for decades, I think that's a fair trade-off.

Old 04-25-2016, 03:26 PM

9,863 posts, read 13,990,300 times
If you both work remotely, why are you choosing to move to the DC are? I assume you can live anywhere. Your answer to this question might help us tailor the recommendations.

Old 04-25-2016, 03:31 PM

1,304 posts, read 2,411,011 times
Agreed with Vienna and Oakton - a lot of those homes will be from the 70s/80s although most are well maintained. You will find a lot more inventory between .5-1 acre than you will over an acre.

Old 04-25-2016, 03:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by spencgr View Post
If you both work remotely, why are you choosing to move to the DC are? I assume you can live anywhere. Your answer to this question might help us tailor the recommendations.
Good question. My husband used to live in DC and loves the area, both of our best friends/their families live there, we love the museums and cultural aspects, and we like politics.

Equally importantly, we can get nearly twice the house for the money in the suburbs as we could anywhere in Los Angeles. For my husband, the culture and the city itself are draws; for me, our home will be the most important thing.

We've both spent years paying through the nose in cities like New York, LA, and London, and so we're looking for a large house with a backyard, instead of a tiny apartment or cramped townhouse that costs more than $4000 a month for 1350 square feet.

Old 04-25-2016, 03:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by spencgr View Post
And by the way, you're right: anywhere in the country (with relatively like-minded people and high quality of life for our children) is fair game. I've toyed with Portland, Atlanta, Austin, and Boston, but my husband is in love with DC, and I'm happy with that as being our likely place.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia