Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-02-2016, 02:57 PM

526 posts, read 900,485 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by spencgr View Post
495 to Tysons from Alexandria would be a BREEZE if you are wiling to pay for the HOT lanes.
True, the HOT lanes would be a lot faster, but you have to figure in the time to get to 495 as well. Alexandria covers a huge area.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-03-2016, 07:54 AM

110 posts, read 123,833 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vectorhead View Post
True, the HOT lanes would be a lot faster, but you have to figure in the time to get to 495 as well. Alexandria covers a huge area.
How long would the commute take on the hot lanes? Not really familiar with them, how is the cost to get on a hot lane?

Old 05-03-2016, 09:03 AM

526 posts, read 900,485 times
The cost varies depending on the traffic. I don't work in Tysons any more so I don't know how expensive they usually are. I would guess that from the start of the HOV lanes (at the mixing bowl) to Route 7 or 123 would be 10-15 minutes. No way really to estimate total commute since Alexandria is so large. You had to add in the time it would take to get to the HOV lanes from wherever you are in Alexandria and the time to get from the HOV lanes to your office.

Old 05-11-2016, 09:09 PM

671 posts, read 1,117,998 times
You could get to Tyson's along the GW Parkway from Alexandria. There is traffic up to the exits to DC but it is easier then the beltway. Take Rt123 through Mclean to Tysons/

Old 05-12-2016, 07:55 AM

2,189 posts, read 3,314,866 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SafariMonkey View Post
Thank you. I was told that the commute from Alexandria to Tysons was brutal
By this region's traffic standards, it's far from brutal. People come on here asking about far worse commutes than this. The beltway can be a headache at times but you do have the option of HOT lanes as others mentioned.

Old 05-12-2016, 11:14 PM

10,915 posts, read 31,385,275 times
Actually, if he does not mind driving, his commute is a reverse commute for the most part. Traffic slows a bit approaching Alexandria in the mornings, from Springfield, but it's nothing like the delays approaching Tysons. Once over the Wilson Bridge, there's really no traffic to Annapolis as it's all headed into the city. He would need to go through Alexandria, not through Tysons as the Beltway is slow in both directions in Maryland, whereas the delays through Alexandria are not as signficiant.

If you were to look at transferring to the Baltimore office, look into the financial aspects as well, such as potential salary changes because of cost of living, taxes, etc. You'd want to be somewhere in Howard County for a comparable school environment to Fairfax County. Off the top of my head, Elicott City would likely be a good fit, about 30 minutes to Downtown Baltimore and 45 minutes to Annapolis.

Bethesda might not be a great location, either, to which to transfer offices. Schools are fine, but housing can be more expensive than Vienna in surrounding areas of Bethesda, Chevy Chase, Potomac, etc. Plus, the Beltway can be slow in both directions at rush hour in the area, so it could take as long to get to Annapolis as areas slightly further away.

Georgetown is more expensive, hassles for vehicles, and the area is not as family-friendly with the presence of younger people, college students, restaurants, bars, etc. that is very different than Maple Avenue or Church Street. Plus, it can be a hassle to get out of the city quickly to get to Annapolis, so you might not get any advantages over an area that you like in Vienna. I used to drive from Georgetown to Baltimore and it sometimes took as long to get to my house from The Beltway as it did to get to Baltimore on 95. Luckily, that was not a permanent need to commute as it was a finite window for which I had to go to Baltimore, but the hassles of DC might not be worth it, especially with a family.

Having a parent within close proximity for emergencies and normal evening activities is a good plan, provided the other party in the relationship does not mind a slightly longer drive that is not terribly stressful. If you're established in Vienna, and you both enjoy it, I might stay put and see how things go for the first few months, and then make a decision as to the best place to live. Vienna has a real town, which you would not find in unincorporated Alexandria in Fairfax County as it's suburban housing developments anchored by shopping plazas off the GW Parkway, Route 1, and in Kingstowne.

City-Data Terms of Service
City-Data FAQs

Old 05-14-2016, 02:32 PM

671 posts, read 1,117,998 times
You asked about hot lane costs-play around with this https://www.expresslanes.com/historic-rates
Rates go up when the HOT lanes fill up

Old 05-15-2016, 06:56 AM

2 posts, read 1,946 times
Default Baltimore office best option

I you transfer to the Baltimore office and look at Severna Park, that might be your best option. Their schools are rated as high or higher than Vienna and you are looking at a 30min or less commute to both Baltimore and Annapolis.

On the Maryland side Crofton has good schools and slightly longer commute to Baltimore.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia