Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-11-2016, 03:36 PM

97 posts, read 104,181 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by boyd888 View Post
The Nissan dealer might fail you anyway for the missing cats. Take it some random gas station (exxon, shell etc) and it should no pass no problems assuming there are no codes.
Makes sense, not like I wont have cats at all? haha..I just wanted to know if they do an emissions test, as in hook up some dealio to test how much is coming out.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-11-2016, 03:41 PM

239 posts, read 280,688 times
Ah, so I imagine you would fail the safety inspection from the missing rear cats.

Generally,
Virginia State Police - Safety Division

17. – INSPECT AIR POLLUTION CONTROL SYSTEM OF 1973 AND SUBSEQUENT MODELS FOR:

Installation.
No parts removed, disconnected or rendered inoperable.
(NOTE: This includes the catalytic converter and the fuel tank filler pipe.)

And specifically LIS > Administrative Code > 19VAC30-70-310

2. Any of the essential parts of the pollution control system or devices on vehicles manufactured for the model year 1973 or for subsequent model years have been removed, rendered inoperative or disconnected. This includes any belt, valve, pump, hose line, cap, cannister, catalytic converter and the restrictor in the gasoline tank filler neck on vehicles required to use unleaded fuel.
NOTE: In order to determine if a motor vehicle was originally equipped with emissions control equipment, refer to the vehicle's emissions control information label which is usually located in the engine compartment.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vivithemage View Post
also curious, the yearly car tax in fairfax county, is that the only tax you have to pay? Or is there a separate state tax as well?
The county tax is yearly, it's based on the value of the vehicle so you can write that off on your taxes.

There's no separate state tax, it's essentially the registration/renewal fee from the DMV (which you can't write off on your income taxes, unless of course it's a business expense).

Old 05-11-2016, 03:43 PM

Well, there are still cat, just not all of them? haha... I might just sell the truck before I move, its only worth 4-5k anyway. Cats are going to be north of 1k-2k.

Old 05-11-2016, 03:57 PM

1,304 posts, read 2,424,595 times
What blindside mentioned is true, which why I said the car is more likely to be failed at a dealership where they know the details of the car. A gas station that is most interested in churning as many cars as they can through the inspection line is not going to care about your secondary cats nor would they even know (or care) that an Xterra should have four cats. I have literally been in and out - inspection and emissions - in under ten minutes in the past. They don't even put the car on a lift.

There are lots of people with secondary cat deletes - especially sports cars like M3s, Corvettes, etc - that have no issues passing inspection.

Old 05-11-2016, 05:32 PM

4,709 posts, read 12,668,849 times
Quote:
What blindside mentioned is true, which why I said the car is more likely to be failed at a dealership where they know the details of the car. A gas station that is most interested in churning as many cars as they can through the inspection line is not going to care about your secondary cats nor would they even know (or care) that an Xterra should have four cats. I have literally been in and out - inspection and emissions - in under ten minutes in the past. They don't even put the car on a lift.

There are lots of people with secondary cat deletes - especially sports cars like M3s, Corvettes, etc - that have no issues passing inspection.

You ain't doing in and out inspections in under 10 minutes anymore....unless there is no line and the inspection bay is empty.

Not now that the Safety Inspection is on-line with the State Police....their computer will only accept one inspection transaction per every 15 minutes. I imagine that their theory is that it takes at least that long to perform a proper inspection.

So, best case, that's four cars per hour, period. If the station owner wants to do more, that means equipping another inspection bay and hiring another inspector. Unlikely at all but the busiest stations...

Old 05-11-2016, 05:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RiotAct41 View Post
The car tax is by county, there's no State Tax on personal automobiles. Unless you count the VA registration fee

I have no clue when it comes to the answer to the emissions question.
There is a State tax on vehicles....Sales and Use Tax. Currently, 4% of the sales price, I believe.

It is a one-time tax paid when the vehicle is titled. After that there is only the annual State registration fee (license plate fee).

HOWEVER, the State sales/use tax is exempted if the vehicle is coming from another State without any change in ownership AND the owner can either prove that sales tax was paid in the other State OR that they have had the vehicle titled in the other State for more than one year.

Old 05-11-2016, 09:08 PM

Quote:

It sounds like they don't even do an emissions test then? Just throw it in the bay, check for a CEL and collect their cash?

Quote:
Originally Posted by car54 View Post
There is a State tax on vehicles....Sales and Use Tax. Currently, 4% of the sales price, I believe.

It is a one-time tax paid when the vehicle is titled. After that there is only the annual State registration fee (license plate fee).

HOWEVER, the State sales/use tax is exempted if the vehicle is coming from another State without any change in ownership AND the owner can either prove that sales tax was paid in the other State OR that they have had the vehicle titled in the other State for more than one year.
Good deal, I won't have to pay sales tax twice then, haha. Why would they care if it's owned within a year? I have a second vehicle that I have only owned for about 6 months now, and about 10 months when I get out there. Will I be paying sales tax on it again?

Old 05-11-2016, 09:45 PM

Quote:
...I have a second vehicle that I have only owned for about 6 months now, and about 10 months when I get out there. Will I be paying sales tax on it again?

Not if you can show you paid tax on it in the State you're coming from.

Old 05-12-2016, 05:21 AM

239 posts, read 280,688 times
Quote:
I have a second vehicle that I have only owned for about 6 months now, and about 10 months when I get out there. Will I be paying sales tax on it again?
You will need to show evidence that you paid the sales tax in your previous state.

Specifically, § 58.1-2403. Exemptions

10. Being registered for the first time in the Commonwealth and the applicant holds a valid, assignable title or registration issued to him by another state or a branch of the United States Armed Forces and (i) has owned the vehicle for longer than 12 months or (ii) has owned the vehicle for less than 12 months and provides evidence of a sales tax paid to another state. However, when a vehicle has been purchased by the applicant within the last 12 months and the applicant is unable to provide evidence of a sales tax paid to another state, the applicant shall pay the Virginia sales tax based on the fair market value of the vehicle at the time of registration in Virginia;

You're lucky that you don't have to pay the difference in sales tax if VA tax rate is higher than the state you bought the car in. This is in the case in CA where in some cases the sales and use tax is as high as 10%.

Old 05-12-2016, 06:05 AM

540 posts, read 790,255 times
FYI - some of the emissions tests are being done roadside now using some sort of air pollution monitors. I didn't even have to go in for my emissions inspection (my VA inspection is off-cycle from my emissions). I just got something in the mail saying that I had passed and that I should send in my $18 or whatever it is.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
View detailed profiles of: