Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-30-2016, 11:14 AM

26,700 posts, read 41,718,665 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by JD984 View Post
I'd recommend that anyone who wants to waste time identifying the "worst" neighborhoods in Fairfax County look at the Census Explorer tool (check for median HHI by census tract) and see how relatively small the pockets of poverty are in Fairfax compared to other places in the DC region, not to mention the country.

Census Explorer

FWIW, if the West End of Alexandria City and the areas off the western part of Columbia Pike in Arlington were in Fairfax County, both would make this list.
In honesty I have to disagree about the West End and Columbia Pike (for the most part.) I lived in both of those areas for a considerable timeframe and while no one will put them in a BEST neighborhood in Northern VA list, they have enough amenities and a decent mix of people to keep them out of the worst category. Now when my lease ends, I'm getting far away from Columbia Pike, not because it is a bad area, but the commute is ridiculous to Fairfax.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-30-2016, 12:10 PM

5,125 posts, read 10,085,417 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Dissenter View Post
In honesty I have to disagree about the West End and Columbia Pike (for the most part.) I lived in both of those areas for a considerable timeframe and while no one will put them in a BEST neighborhood in Northern VA list, they have enough amenities and a decent mix of people to keep them out of the worst category. Now when my lease ends, I'm getting far away from Columbia Pike, not because it is a bad area, but the commute is ridiculous to Fairfax.
You're entitled to your opinion, but as a factual matter:

- several census tracks in the Carlin Springs area (western Arlington off Columbia Pike) have lower incomes - which is really what means "bad" or "worst" in these parts - than either Culmore or Bailey's Crossroads;

- Hammond MS in the West End of Alexandria City has a poverty rate about 15% higher than Glasgow MS, the middle school that students who live in Culmore and Bailey's attend;

- the Bren Mar Park area off Edsall Road has median incomes around $90K, which is lower than average for Fairfax, but considerably higher-income than the areas immediately to the east in Alexandria City (the Lincolnia area in Fairfax near Landmark, on the other hand, is similar to parts of the West End in Alexandria City).

Old 05-30-2016, 02:31 PM

2,825 posts, read 6,889,151 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JD984 View Post
You're entitled to your opinion, but as a factual matter:

- several census tracks in the Carlin Springs area (western Arlington off Columbia Pike) have lower incomes - which is really what means "bad" or "worst" in these parts - than either Culmore or Bailey's Crossroads;

- Hammond MS in the West End of Alexandria City has a poverty rate about 15% higher than Glasgow MS, the middle school that students who live in Culmore and Bailey's attend;

- the Bren Mar Park area off Edsall Road has median incomes around $90K,..
Except Bren Mar JD, you keep inserting areas that are NOT. In Fairfax County

This discussion is limited to *only*. Fairfax County

The worst ffx county *neighborhood* is no doubt much better than 80% of any neighborhood in the USA BUT that is not in the discussion. This discussion explores the disappointment of being stationed into a ffx county neighborhood that does not live up to the reputation and expectation of this county's nationally well known reputation

Please stop dragging in non-Fairfax County neighborhoods

Old 05-30-2016, 04:38 PM

2,090 posts, read 4,244,907 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by qtbrye View Post
Yes, I guess the area around Hunter's Woods Elementary and Shopping Center. That's off of South Lakes, right? So that's what I've always known the area as hence my mention. I had a friend that lived in one of the apartment complex, first floor level, and I'd feel uneasy coming to and leaving that area. There's always random group of dudes that would be walking around, and they don't seem to be the types that take an evening stroll after dinner to chit-chat. My gf at the time (now wife) also expressed her nervousness as well, which she doesn't have anywhere else.

I get that you've probably live in Reston for a long time and nothing has happened to you so you think I'm nuts for listing the area on my list. I'm sure the place is great, but my experiences were (I don't go there anymore) different.

Again, this is all relative. I've lived in third world country that's a hundred times worse than anything you guys can imagine
As I guessed you are confused as to what is included in the South Lakes area of Reston. The area you refer to above (though near South Lakes Drive) is not the South Lakes Area of Reston. What you are describing is Hunters Woods. South Lakes is the area around Lake Thoreau and Lake Audubon. (Yes I think you are nut for listing South Lakes on your list.)

https://www.google.com/maps/@38.9359...5324,15z?hl=en

Old 05-30-2016, 07:25 PM

22,451 posts, read 11,972,828 times
There are parts of Herndon that aren't great. The townhouses in Reflection Lake, for example. At one time, back in the 80s, it was a good spot to get a starter home. I wouldn't recommend doing so now. In fact, I once recalled reading an article in a local newspaper that said since Reflection Lake is outside of the incorporated part of Herndon, any calls to the police get sent to the Fairfax County Police---and the substation isn't that close so by the time the police get there, the perps are often long gone.

The townhouses in Four Seasons aren't great either. Like Reflection Lake, a lot of them are now overcrowded flophouses. Chandon also has problems with overcrowded flophouses. Also, the area off Alabama Avenue between Elden Street and Herndon Parkway, isn't the best.

Old 05-31-2016, 07:38 AM

170 posts, read 199,195 times
This is quite the fairfaxunderground thread

Old 05-31-2016, 08:34 AM

346 posts, read 550,415 times
I guess I'll apologize, then, as you seem to be very protective of your neighborhood. I named South Lakes in my list because the area was off of South Lakes Drive from my memory.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JfromReston View Post
As I guessed you are confused as to what is included in the South Lakes area of Reston. The area you refer to above (though near South Lakes Drive) is not the South Lakes Area of Reston. What you are describing is Hunters Woods. South Lakes is the area around Lake Thoreau and Lake Audubon. (Yes I think you are nut for listing South Lakes on your list.)

https://www.google.com/maps/@38.9359...5324,15z?hl=en

Old 05-31-2016, 08:42 AM

2,189 posts, read 3,314,866 times
It's probably a knee jerk reaction to say South Lakes, because the HS used to have a somewhat bad rep. At least I used to hear people talk bad about it. I think it's improved, as have a lot of schools that used to be looked down upon. When I lived in Falls Church 10 years ago I used to hear similar things about Falls Church HS but have heard nothing but good things coming out of there recently.

Old 05-31-2016, 09:05 AM

2 posts, read 11,341 times
Default Not racial - just the facts, Danno

Let's not get our knickers in a knot so early in the week, Spencgr. Culmore is factually what the person posted: very low income and mostly Hispanic with a sprinkle of Asians who work their butts off to get out of that neighborhood ASAP! How would I know? Grew up in a nearby neighborhood that was and still is middle to upper class. My BFF/husband grew up in Culmore along with his brothers and hard working Asian parents who had food left on their doorstep by church folks when their dad passed away and all the boys were in High School and mom worked 24/7 so CPS wouldn't take her kids away. Do they call it a bad neighborhood? You bet! And they lived there in the 1980's. It's never improved, and sometimes the really bad ones wander over into the Lake Barcroft area, drink beer on the beaches, swim at night, and drown. They're trespassing of course, but do they care? Nah - just checking out how the over half lives, literally steps away from them. My brother's bike was stolen, my husband's bike was stolen, and it's hands-down the one area that you will not catch white folks walking thru on purpose. Just sayin'....facts are facts and not meant to call one group of people "bad neighbors". Just a lower-income group of people that sometimes resort to desperate, illegal activity. County needs to work on that area, IMHO. Get them assistance, find them decent jobs, and help them move out and be productive citizens! Then tear that dump down and build some kind of YMCA center for people to work at or their kids to attend after school to break that cycle of poverty.

Quote:
Originally Posted by spencgr View Post
EGAD!!!! An older building dwelling AND Hispanics?!?!?!?

Run!!!!

Yup, I knew this would turn racial. Just had been waiting for the "Hispanics make bad neighbors" post.

Old 05-31-2016, 10:38 AM

5,125 posts, read 10,085,417 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by leighland View Post
Except Bren Mar JD, you keep inserting areas that are NOT. In Fairfax County

This discussion is limited to *only*. Fairfax County

The worst ffx county *neighborhood* is no doubt much better than 80% of any neighborhood in the USA BUT that is not in the discussion. This discussion explores the disappointment of being stationed into a ffx county neighborhood that does not live up to the reputation and expectation of this county's nationally well known reputation

Please stop dragging in non-Fairfax County neighborhoods
The Dissenter first compared Fairfax neighborhoods to his current digs in Arlington and prior digs in Alexandria (#24 and #31). I responded to his posts (#27 and #32). Had he not done so, I would not have discussed any non-Fairfax County neighborhoods on this thread. In fact, I might not have even posted on the thread at all, as it seemed like an ugly exercise from the get-go that was destined to lead to the predictable bashing of a handful of places in the county where more low-income blacks and Hispanics live. It does beg the question as to exactly how many times these areas have to be called out.

Last edited by JD984; 05-31-2016 at 10:48 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
View detailed profiles of: