Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-11-2016, 06:54 AM

53 posts, read 74,292 times

Advertisements

I'd rather have well paid teachers and better schools for our kids than an extra $4 in my pocket when I go out to eat with my wife at a nice restaurant.

Yes it is a consumption tax, but not all consumption taxes are inherently bad.

What matters is how the money is spent after it is collected. If spent properly and the county doesn't lose sight of the actual goal of improving our schools, it is money well spent. Anyone bothered by this tax is probably better served making sure the schools put it to good use.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-11-2016, 11:54 AM

504 posts, read 1,212,654 times
It's not totally unavoidable. Just look for places with Cash Only signs or have cash payment option. I frequently dine and order take-outs at two places that have cash option. I even pay for my kids sport training and school tutoring weekly by cash, in envelopes.

Old 06-11-2016, 05:53 PM

3,109 posts, read 2,970,654 times
more franchises, more robots.....There are no famous restaurants in Fairfax County, mostly various versions of franchises that you would find in Phoenix or Columbus. It's a very anti-small business kind of place. I've had much better meals in Oakland, California, but the Left has chased most of them away, too. Street food is illegal for all intents and purposes. People don't line up at Olive Garden because there are good dining options.....Government cafeterias during the week, and barf in a bag on weekends.....pathetic.

Old 06-11-2016, 06:10 PM

4,709 posts, read 12,674,787 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hal Roach View Post
more franchises, more robots.....There are no famous restaurants in Fairfax County....
My theory as to why this is: the people that operate "famous restaurants" don't need to come here.

They are successful where they are.

Old 06-11-2016, 06:15 PM

239 posts, read 281,035 times
Quote:
more franchises, more robots.....There are no famous restaurants in Fairfax County, mostly various versions of franchises that you would find in Phoenix or Columbus. It's a very anti-small business kind of place. I've had much better meals in Oakland, California, but the Left has chased most of them away, too. Street food is illegal for all intents and purposes. People don't line up at Olive Garden because there are good dining options.....Government cafeterias during the week, and barf in a bag on weekends.....pathetic.
The food in Berkeley/Oakland is truly one of a kind. Probably the best and most varied I've had in the United States (though I haven't been to Portland which I hear is quite good as well).

Outside of having a generally foodie culture, the restrictions against "formula retail" or "formula establishments" certainly keeps the chain stores to a minimum and allows small businesses and new restaurants to thrive.

Old 06-12-2016, 01:59 AM

I finally watched Porlandia after many recs...pretty funny stuff. Portland is a pretender city that was suppose to be the city of the future, complete with strict growth control and greenbelts, which only caused gridlock and high rents. Smoked Salmon from the Indians is the best thing they've got going, and that obviously isn't anything new and innovative. As far as Berkland...I agree that they have helped some of these smaller places, but land prices are outrageous, and of course, that =high rents. Genova Deli was the latest victim...90 years in Oakland...couldn't handle the proposed rent increase, but they could have bought that shop on Telegraph for 40K in 1980, I would say. I think any small restaurant almost needs to set themselves up as a REIT, and make pennies with the restaurant but a big payoff in the land...that's how Hollywood Park Race Track operated...look at some of those Georgetown locations...and when you don't have rent increases; you have a huge edge on the competition. It seems like the landlords look at it two ways....charge them a lot, and they will fail half the time, or charge them a lot, and if they do well, jack up the rent at the first chance.

Old 06-12-2016, 02:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by car54 View Post
My theory as to why this is: the people that operate "famous restaurants" don't need to come here.

They are successful where they are.
yes, and none of them are in Fairfax County. So much opposition to big box stores...what about Big Box restaurants? I would take Home Depot over an Olive Garden, 4 Cracker Barrels, and 31 Starbux, any day of the week.

What is the most famous restaurant in FFX County? Italian? Mostly fake Greek stuff...Seafood? Those who grew up on day caught fish wouldn't go near it. Mexican? Mexico and Central America are worlds apart. Chinese? fake Vietnamese goods (ironic, only in Nova would people serve fake Chinese food). Thai? like Mexican the best places are cheap with high turnover, and you can't get that in environments where people are fighting for parking places in strip mall lots. Soul? Gotta cross the riva.

Last edited by Hal Roach; 06-12-2016 at 03:46 AM..

Old 06-12-2016, 06:09 AM

9,879 posts, read 14,125,760 times
Quote:
yes, and none of them are in Fairfax County. So much opposition to big box stores...what about Big Box restaurants? I would take Home Depot over an Olive Garden, 4 Cracker Barrels, and 31 Starbux, any day of the week.

What is the most famous restaurant in FFX County? Italian? Mostly fake Greek stuff...Seafood? Those who grew up on day caught fish wouldn't go near it. Mexican? Mexico and Central America are worlds apart. Chinese? fake Vietnamese goods (ironic, only in Nova would people serve fake Chinese food). Thai? like Mexican the best places are cheap with high turnover, and you can't get that in environments where people are fighting for parking places in strip mall lots. Soul? Gotta cross the riva.
not sure I understand your point? Why does something have to be "famous" to be good or a non- chain? If you are trying to say, that you cannot get great, non-chain food in FFX, you're crazy. Yes, there are a lot more large chains than my taste prefers, but the good food is there, too.

Old 06-12-2016, 06:37 AM

name a couple that are highly rated on tripadvisor, that visitors would go anywhere out of there way to dine at....but for Government workers; it's all about the kids menu and soda refills.

So this "crazy" person is waiting for your response on:
great Italian?
great Mexican?
great Thai?
great Steak?
great seafood?
and please minimize corporate slime....

Old 06-12-2016, 06:55 AM

1,077 posts, read 1,784,967 times
I don't really get this criticism of food options in Fairfax County. I've lived in many places, including Berkeley since that's where I went to college. The range of options for eating out in Fairfax County and Northern Virginia is tremendous - maybe not the range you'd find in the Bay Area, but pretty darn incredible compared to, say, the suburbs of Philadelphia where about all you can find is a pizza or Chinese place around every corner. Sure, you have chains here, but there are tons of small, ethnic options everywhere. The shopping center nearest me alone has a local Thai place, Chinese place, and a Greek-run family restaurant that actually makes some pretty good pizza (in addition to a couple chain options). Go about 10 minutes from where I live to the central Springfield area, and you'll find many more options. Sure, there are some chain restaurants in the area too, but there are many more options. There's a little Thai place we tried once and quite enjoyed because the Ethiopian place next door we wanted to try was closed. I really enjoy El Paso for Mexican - I took my family who live in San Diego there while they were visiting, and they said they enjoyed it more than any of the Mexican they can get in San Diego.

Regardless, I'm not sure what the point is. There is no meals tax currently, so it's not like there is some tax that has been arguably destroying the restaurant scene in the area. Maybe a meals tax will have an adverse effect on people eating out, but I tend to think it won't. I just don't think the vast majority of people are going to pay any attention to an extra 4 pennies on every dollar they spend eating out. I'm not convinced it is a worthwhile tax, but I am also not convinced it will have any adverse effect on the restaurant industry.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia