Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-17-2008, 10:33 AM

15,402 posts, read 28,944,197 times

Advertisements

I don't know much about Haymarket, but isn't that horse country? Maybe you could get involved in a horse riding group. Master Gardeners is big out there, too (I believe). They have a Merrifield Garden Center out there, and Merrifield has excellent free classes on Saturdays. That might be a place people hang out. Or maybe you could start a club of your own.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-17-2008, 03:26 PM

847 posts, read 3,353,483 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fairfax Mom View Post
car54 you are funny - sorry for being a NJ whiner - I hate whiners - there are many nice things about this area or I would not be here. I have a very strange sense of humor and I guess people dont get me here.
I am dating myself - I remember going to a bagel shop - the bagels were being made all day long - you could smell the bagels down the entire block - the windows were steamed over - a bunch of big fat guys in white aprons making HUGE bagels - they only made and sold bagels - NOTHING ELSE - you could not even buy a soda there - aaaah - those were the days....

I remember a doughnut place like that on the lower east side. They just made doughnuts, just one type of doughnut (a dense cakey one), and they'd dip it in whatever kind of coating or glaze or nuts you wanted. And that was that.

Old 02-18-2008, 12:46 PM

1,726 posts, read 5,860,907 times
If you want good NY style pizza, try Ciro's NY Style in Centreville, or Buon Appetito in Chantilly.

Bagels? I wouldn't know, because I don't really like bagels. I prefer whole wheat pita.

Old 02-20-2008, 02:56 AM

29 posts, read 133,644 times
Haymarket used to be horse country, but I think that's more Gilbert's Corner and beyond now. Haymarket/Gainesville/Bull Run is like high-end housing and golf-course communities. No knock on that, there's definitely a need ... but it's waaaay out. I mean like 20 mins. from Manassas and 45 from Woodbridge, if you're looking at it from a PWC perspective.

If you're looking at it from D.C., the first exits on 66 are in the 70s and Haymarket is in the low 40s, so about 30 miles or so. Which is about the same distance as, what, Dumfries going down I-95?

I'm from South Jersey originally, although I grew up in Boston (LONG story) ... what I've learned since being here, and travelling a lot for work, is that those places are unique for the character in their people, and neighborhoods and of course speech patterns and food. (Seriously, I'll slap the next person who cooks me a Steak-Umm and calls it a Philly Cheesesteak)

No. Va. is definitely a melting pot of cultures. Virginia as a whole has so much history and so much native personality, but a lot of it is further out into the country, or in Richmond, Tidewater or Southwestern Va.

It always makes me wonder how anyone can get elected here, appealing to folks who are basically from D.C., folks who are basically from Tennessee, WV and Kentucky, folks who are military, or old-time Richmonders. It's a heck of a state.

Then again, I guess that's why our governors make pretty influential senators.

Here's a tip for NJ folks looking to hold on to a piece of home. Keep rooting for the Giants or Yankees or Eagles or whoever. You'll find there are a lot of us down here, and those folks will give you a taste of home. Shoot, if you can't make it up to a game, they might point you towards a little hideout like Philly Tavern in Old Town Manassas, where it's safe to hate the Redskins and ask for wiz with.

As for an NY spot, I'll ask around. There must be some.

Old 02-20-2008, 02:57 AM

29 posts, read 133,644 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vanyali View Post
I remember a doughnut place like that on the lower east side. They just made doughnuts, just one type of doughnut (a dense cakey one), and they'd dip it in whatever kind of coating or glaze or nuts you wanted. And that was that.
There's one in D.C., someone just brought them into work the other day.

Emily's, Emiliano's ... something. I'll have to find out.

Old 02-20-2008, 08:48 AM

566 posts, read 2,985,058 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by normie View Post
I don't know much about Haymarket, but isn't that horse country? Maybe you could get involved in a horse riding group. Master Gardeners is big out there, too (I believe). They have a Merrifield Garden Center out there, and Merrifield has excellent free classes on Saturdays. That might be a place people hang out. Or maybe you could start a club of your own.
It still is pretty tied to the horse or "horsey" community as they like to say. If I have to stand behind another mother/daughter in the grocery store talking about how they have to practice their canter and counter canter, I'm going to puke!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia