U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-17-2016, 12:40 PM

7,962 posts, read 9,710,285 times

Advertisements

All - This is not necessarily NoVA related, except it stems from the awful storm in Middleburg last night. We have extensive window and siding damage. Not sure about the roof. A gentleman just showed up at my door (Expert Roofing and Siding) offering a free roof inspection and mentioned that myself (the homeowner) is in a much better position if a contractor or expert is there when the adjuster arrives. So, my questions are..

1) Is it better to have the contractor there with an adjuster?
2) Anyone heard of these "Expert" guys? Online review seem very positive.
3) Is there a better way to go about this?

I could move this to the House subforum, but I trust a lot of you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-17-2016, 01:43 PM

519 posts, read 702,374 times
We had to get our roof replaced twice in the three years the second time we were stationed in Colorado Springs. If you had significant window and siding damage then it's practically a sure thing that you'll need a new roof. I was amazed at how few roof dings per <square meter? shingle? can't remember> that it took to make a new roof necessary.

After a storm like that "experts" will pop up out of nowhere. We went through this in the late 90s and the advice then was not to talk to anyone whose business wasn't in the phone book. That at least would show that they were established and didn't just grab a clipboard and declare themselves experts when they saw an opportunity to make money. Checking on the internet for references is today's equivalent and it sounds like you did that.

I can't remember a lot of details and it was a long time ago but I don't think we ever had the adjuster and the contractor looking at the roof together.

Sorry this happened -- it's a pain!

Old 06-17-2016, 07:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vectorhead View Post
After a storm like that "experts" will pop up out of nowhere.
Seriously! They are like sharks. I've had five people show up at my door today.

Old 06-18-2016, 07:17 PM

2,005 posts, read 3,539,071 times
We went through this in our neighborhood 7 or 8 years ago. I found it better to go with a local contractor with good references rather then the ambulance chasers who knocked on the door.

Old 06-19-2016, 04:55 AM

734 posts, read 1,733,937 times
Agreed with the other posters. If you haven't had to replace your roof before, ask a neighbor who has (had) a newer roof or siding and ask who they used and if they would use them again. Any legitimate established contractor also knows how to deal with insurance companies and adjusters.

We are going through this in Lake Ridge from the hail storm in early May. According to my roofer (who had replaced our roof only 4 years ago), many of the storm chasers don't have VA licenses. They contact local roofers and ask to use their names and licenses to solicit business. They promise to pay the roofer 20% in return. However, assuming all of the work gets done (some skip town the moment they get your deposit check), the work will probably be of questionable quality at best.

Also, many of the door-to-door sharks try to induce people to commit insurance fraud while also breaking VA law. My roofer was standing next me when one of the door-to-door solicitors came by (he asked me to introduce him as my neighbor). First, he was not wearing a badge with a photo ID and a solicitor's license, as required by VA law. Then, he saw that the insurance company had marked up our siding and roof. He promised that, if we wanted his company to only do the roofing work, the invoice we received would list all approved work as completed so that we "could get the money we deserved from the insurance company."

In my neighborhood, 2 or 3 of the storm chasers have 50+ homes apiece. Either they are scheduled out through the summer or fall, or they are hiring whatever live bodies they can find from the local 7-11 day laborer pool. Either way, I would never choose someone who comes door-to-door or contacts me via phone to fix something like this.

Old 06-19-2016, 05:19 AM

Thanks for the great advice. I've chosen a contractor (reccomendation a very trusted and knowledgeable source) and ignored the Storm Chasers. He does, though, also think it wise to have the contractor there with the insurance adjuster. Specifically, so all parties are on the same page.

Old 06-19-2016, 05:20 AM

4,521 posts, read 5,234,330 times
Lightbulb Adjuster vs. Contractor with Adjuster

Great question.

In my recent experience, much better to have both there at the same time. My trusted contractor " reported" back that the adjuster was short on some areas and even skipped areas on his estimate. The adjuster works for my insurance company, not me. I updated my insurance company that their (our?) adjuster spent less than 5 min walking around the house, skipped areas outright, and was argumentative. My contractor provided me additional photos and this storyline to me which I gave to insurance company. I didn't even get a phone call from the adjuster (I was unable to be there during inspection). Can't imagine if only my?/our? adjuster was there by himself what my estimate would have been for total damages.

Trying to get a trusted contractor is the most important step in my assessment. Lots of opinions on how to best approach this but I've explained one example on the importance. Our recent truck claim was worse but that's a different post.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
View detailed profiles of:
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or