Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-22-2016, 05:31 PM

1,304 posts, read 2,418,031 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayInVa View Post
What did I post that was incorrect? Please educate me. Are you saying the fine for failure to obey a highway sign (which is probably what the OP was charged with) is not already at the maximum the law allows? I find that very hard to believe, but if you can cite some evidence that would be great.
The maximum fine for failure to obey a highway sign is $250. The prepay (if you mail it in/guilty) is $97. If you go to court the judge could theoretically fine you whatever up to $250.

Did you not learn this in your one day of traffic court?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-22-2016, 05:52 PM

6 posts, read 3,602 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by boyd888 View Post
The maximum fine for failure to obey a highway sign is $250. The prepay (if you mail it in/guilty) is $97. If you go to court the judge could theoretically fine you whatever up to $250.

Did you not learn this in your one day of traffic court?
Nice ad hominem attack. Really sorry that I answered a question from the OP on a message board that is for sharing opinions and never once said I was an expert or attorney. What was I thinking?

This was the closest I could find to back up your statement (imagine that an actual link!). It does say the maximum can be above the uniform fine: http://www.courts.state.va.us/courts...0_schedule.pdf

How often does that actually happen? Maybe the two experts can fill us in? And I can amend my post with something like: "Disclaimer: In theory you might have to pay a higher fine by going to court, but in practice it almost never happens. Remember I never said I was an attorney and already stated I only observed a single day of court and never once said I was an expert so this is only an opinion." Would that work or should I expect another attack in reply?

Old 06-22-2016, 06:57 PM

1,304 posts, read 2,418,031 times
46.2-113. Unless otherwisestated, these violations shall constitute traffic infractions punishable by afine of not more than that provided for a Class 4 misdemeanor under 18.2-11 [(d) For Class 4 misdemeanors, a fine of not more than $250.]

A higher fine is most likely to be applied to people with very poor records (like -10 points) that didn't prepay and then don't show up to court (so they are tried in absentia) or people that are rude to the officer/judge.

If found guilty and you have a good record it is VERY common for the judge to give you a break on the fine, especially for speeding tickets where the actual fine could be close to $150. Like $150 down to $50 or something. Plus court costs, of course. Gotta get those court costs.

Old 06-22-2016, 07:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by boyd888 View Post
46.2-113. Unless otherwisestated, these violations shall constitute traffic infractions punishable by afine of not more than that provided for a Class 4 misdemeanor under 18.2-11 [(d) For Class 4 misdemeanors, a fine of not more than $250.]

A higher fine is most likely to be applied to people with very poor records (like -10 points) that didn't prepay and then don't show up to court (so they are tried in absentia) or people that are rude to the officer/judge.

If found guilty and you have a good record it is VERY common for the judge to give you a break on the fine, especially for speeding tickets where the actual fine could be close to $150. Like $150 down to $50 or something. Plus court costs, of course. Gotta get those court costs.
Thanks for the link. I did not know the judge could fine you more than the amount on your ticket

Your info on the likelihood of being fined more than the amount of the ticket agrees with my original opinion: "if you have a good driving record and don't mind spending a day in court it's probably worth challenging the ticket"

Old 06-22-2016, 07:15 PM

2,768 posts, read 3,516,694 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JayInVa View Post
Nice ad hominem attack. Really sorry that I answered a question from the OP on a message board that is for sharing opinions and never once said I was an expert or attorney. What was I thinking?

This was the closest I could find to back up your statement (imagine that an actual link!). It does say the maximum can be above the uniform fine: http://www.courts.state.va.us/courts...0_schedule.pdf

How often does that actually happen? Maybe the two experts can fill us in? And I can amend my post with something like: "Disclaimer: In theory you might have to pay a higher fine by going to court, but in practice it almost never happens. Remember I never said I was an attorney and already stated I only observed a single day of court and never once said I was an expert so this is only an opinion." Would that work or should I expect another attack in reply?
I'm sorry Jay. This is example 1a why I have been trying to avoid this board lately. Too many hateful angry people.

Of course theoretically you could be fined $250 if you don't prepay, but theoretically unicorns also exist. And actually, in my experience, WORST CASE is that the fine gets lowered like $20-$30.

Old 06-23-2016, 02:30 AM

7,670 posts, read 14,198,666 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gomason View Post
I'm sorry Jay. This is example 1a why I have been trying to avoid this board lately. Too many hateful angry people.

Of course theoretically you could be fined $250 if you don't prepay, but theoretically unicorns also exist. And actually, in my experience, WORST CASE is that the fine gets lowered like $20-$30.

Hateful and angry? LOL. We're just trying to stop someone from spreading inaccurate information. Actually you're the one who comes on here angry with your responses and you're often here just to drag things down.

Old 06-23-2016, 05:49 AM

9,512 posts, read 9,033,995 times
Quote:

What any city data user can do is go over and post in the politics and controversy forum and your skin will toughen in record time. The NOVA forum page is thankfully tame.

Old 06-23-2016, 05:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigfoot424 View Post
Hateful and angry? LOL. We're just trying to stop someone from spreading inaccurate information. Actually you're the one who comes on here angry with your responses and you're often here just to drag things down.
Actually you started with ad hominem attacks, then moved to a straw man. Then when I tried to clarify your run on sentence you "corrected" me because I said the equivalent of "The sun will come up tomorrow" and it's technically possible the sun could go Nova before tomorrow so I was "wrong".

Old 06-23-2016, 09:49 PM

2,768 posts, read 3,516,694 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigfoot424 View Post
If you have anything constructive to add, feel free to post. I've worked in politics my whole life -- you wont get under my skin.

FYI, since you were a cop in PWC, do you know absolutely anything about this intersection? Must make you an expert about jurisdictions 40+ miles away.

Last edited by gomason; 06-23-2016 at 09:57 PM..

Old 06-24-2016, 03:04 AM

7,670 posts, read 14,198,666 times
Quote:
If you have anything constructive to add, feel free to post. I've worked in politics my whole life -- you wont get under my skin.

FYI, since you were a cop in PWC, do you know absolutely anything about this intersection? Must make you an expert about jurisdictions 40+ miles away.

I'm not trying to get under your skin. Just posting facts. You're quite often a very negative person here and have been known to post incorrect info. As far as the intersection what's this have to do with the price of Tea in China? I was addressing the posters very incorrect info on the ticket/fine and never addressed the issue at the intersection. Please read a little more slowly if necessary.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia