U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-29-2016, 03:39 AM

23,566 posts, read 33,287,625 times

Advertisements

One thing I hate about 66 in particular is that shoulder lane being closed/open. I take 66 East home late in the afternoon (6 pm ish) from work. When that lane is closed, getting on from Rt 50 is down right dangerous as everyone wants to merge on right away and avoid getting stuck riding in that closed lane. Merging is easier when that lane is open. I know why that lane is closed when it is closed, I'm saying it should have never been built like that in the first place.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-29-2016, 06:02 AM

1,688 posts, read 1,346,290 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BarqCider View Post
i find drivers on 95 be way crazier/drive worse than those on 66. How , now that still amazes me. I deliver packages during the weekend and sometimes as far as woodbridge.
People on 95 drive pretty erratically. Especially the closer you get to DC, the worse the traffic gets and the more on edge everyone seems. You see all kinds of craziness.

But the same could be said for 66 as well.

Old 07-01-2016, 08:46 AM

1,424 posts, read 2,083,867 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NOVA_guy View Post
People on 95 drive pretty erratically. Especially the closer you get to DC, the worse the traffic gets and the more on edge everyone seems. You see all kinds of craziness.

But the same could be said for 66 as well.
Yeah, the drivers are as bad for idiotic weaving and tailgating as New Jersey

Old 07-05-2016, 11:53 AM

4,826 posts, read 2,876,130 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlesaf3 View Post
Yeah, the drivers are as bad for idiotic weaving and tailgating as New Jersey
In the morning going into the city I see people cutting from the highway into the on-ramp lanes and onto the shoulders and traveling that way. When it starts to get too bad I see police start to pull them over for driving on the shoulders.. Not sure what they are charged with but if it is reckless driving I am sure they wish they would have risked the traffic.

But the answer to the OP's question is almost always clear. If you are thinking about this on either highway then you know deep down in your heart that the traffic on the other is much, much, better than the one you are on.

Old 07-07-2016, 08:19 AM

650 posts, read 365,636 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Dissenter View Post
It is funny. I thought one of the big pluses of being back here was being closer to my hometown in Hampton Roads and VA Beach, in four years in being back, I've been down there exactly twice, neither trip during summer. It is just not worth it to deal with the traffic.
Spot on. I used to go to Norfolk for my job and I told them I wasn't going to do it any more. No matter when I left, I'd get stuck in traffic--to Norfolk and back. If it wasn't construction, it was an accident. On 95 and 64. What used to be a 2 1/2 hour trip was consistently turning into a 3 1/2 hour (or longer) trip.

--

Old 07-07-2016, 10:40 AM

94 posts, read 83,855 times
If you are going North say to Pittsburgh or MD, you have the horrendous American Legion bridge backups every day not to mention I70 and I270 jams where MD refuses to add needed lanes for the traffic flow. Good luck if you try to work around to 15 North as that is huge bottleneck in Leesburg...I don't know why they don't give some though to reducing that bottleneck. So you pretty much gotta head west on 7 to Winchester adding 45-min to what should be a 4 hr trip to Pgh.

Old 07-08-2016, 09:39 AM

92 posts, read 109,424 times
The question is, what is worse I66 or I95. I have driven I66 EVERY day for 15 years so I have some credibility. Ill take I66 over I95 anytime! Every single morning there seems to be an accident on I95. You cant say the same for I66. YES, there ARE accidents but NOT every day. Just too many people looking down at their cell phones and not closing the gaps. Close the gaps please!

Old 07-08-2016, 09:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill790 View Post
Spot on. I used to go to Norfolk for my job and I told them I wasn't going to do it any more. No matter when I left, I'd get stuck in traffic--to Norfolk and back. If it wasn't construction, it was an accident. On 95 and 64. What used to be a 2 1/2 hour trip was consistently turning into a 3 1/2 hour (or longer) trip.

--
These days if it is only a 3 1/2 hour trip to Norfolk, you are lucky. I know there is some construction on I-64 near Williamsburg which will only make it worse. Never mind that portion of 64 from Hampton to Williamsburg is pretty accident prone too.

Old 07-08-2016, 10:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HDTBill View Post
If you are going North say to Pittsburgh or MD, you have the horrendous American Legion bridge backups every day not to mention I70 and I270 jams where MD refuses to add needed lanes for the traffic flow. Good luck if you try to work around to 15 North as that is huge bottleneck in Leesburg...I don't know why they don't give some though to reducing that bottleneck. So you pretty much gotta head west on 7 to Winchester adding 45-min to what should be a 4 hr trip to Pgh.
I frequently go to Ohio and the last two times I had to leave after work to get there. Going from Ballston to Hagerstown was a guaranteed 2-2 1/2 hour trip. My next trip there, my friends and I are leaving at midnight to avoid traffic.

Old 07-08-2016, 02:53 PM

159 posts, read 227,445 times
This thread is a needed laugh this week. It is like asking which side of your ass is bigger ;-)

To answer the OP's question, both are terrible at different times of the day, week, season and year. However I think the 66 design is more dangerous for disabled motorists and creates more choke points from Rosalyn to Gainsville. 95 of course has more volume.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia