Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-26-2016, 05:24 PM

3 posts, read 2,241 times

Advertisements

Why are schools in Reston and Herndon so poorly rated on greatschools and schooldigger? I'm rental hunting and while these seem to be popular cities for work and entertainment (as well as proximity to DC), what's wrong with the schools?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-26-2016, 05:53 PM

2,825 posts, read 6,882,372 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by p_luck02 View Post
Why are schools in Reston and Herndon so poorly rated on greatschools and schooldigger? I'm rental hunting and while these seem to be popular cities for work and entertainment (as well as proximity to DC), what's wrong with the schools?
You can go to Fairfax County Public Schools and look up the esol/free lunch/free breakfast, standardized test results and % special ed kids in each schools

Here is the statistical info for Dogwood Elementary in Reston
[url=http://schoolprofiles.fcps.edu/schlprfl/f?p=108:13:0::NO::P0_CURRENT_SCHOOL_ID:336]FCPS - School Profiles - Dogwood ES - Demographics[/url]

I find school digger/great schools is not accurate in Nova

But I found great schools very helpful in San Diego where the info is hidden/cloaked/shoved in red tape

The city of Alexandria also has lower performing schools and Alex is certainly fancy dancy

On the whole, the majority of FCPS are vastly superior to the rest of the us, including its lower performing school

Old 06-27-2016, 07:00 AM

2,189 posts, read 3,310,435 times
There's a couple things you have to keep in mind with greatschools ratings. My understanding is it's basically a percentile rating e.g. if a school has a 7 it means it's basically in the 70th percentile in Virginia. The problem with that is Virginia is loaded with good schools especially in Northern Virginia, which means good schools can end up with mediocre ratings. A simple example, say you have 10 schools in Virginia and 8 are very good, 2 are bad. Some of those very good schools will have to end up getting a low greatschools score simply by the way they do it.

Another thing is they mainly use test scores to determine their ratings. That may be fine for high schools but I'm not sure how indicative a test score is of an elementary school's quality, but that's just my personal opinion.

With that said there are 2 elementary schools in Reston and Herndon I'd avoid. Dogwood mentioned above is one. I believe the other is Hutchinson.

Old 06-27-2016, 07:12 PM

14 posts, read 10,820 times
What about Coates Elem in Herndon?

Old 07-06-2016, 09:51 PM

3 posts, read 2,569 times
We've got a short term rental in Fairfax, but we are looking at purchasing a home in Herndon (near husband's job). The home is currently zoned for Clearview, Herndon middle, and Herndon High... We've been warned about school rezoning in Virginia, (where we are from this wasn't ever an occurrence)... Can anyone offer more advice or information about rezoning, and the Herndon area in general? Crime is something that is also very low where we are from... The home we are looking at is in the Kings Chase subdivision.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia