U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-27-2016, 09:17 PM

10 posts, read 10,189 times

Advertisements

Can anyone please provide me with any experiences they've had within the Falls Church City school district? I'm intrigued by the fact that it is separate from Fairfax county's school system. We are moving from a very small district in Westchester, NY this summer and are a little weary of the giant county school districts. Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-28-2016, 06:43 AM

3 posts, read 2,312 times
Great schools. Among the best public schools in the country. It broke away from Fairfax County back in the late 40's/early 50's to become one of the first integrated school districts. About 2,500 students total in the tiny town and for that reason real estate prices are very high. But you get what you pay for.

Old 06-28-2016, 07:20 AM

10 posts, read 10,189 times
What is the feeling in the town? Is it welcoming to newcomers? We're looking for a place with a sense of community.

Old 06-28-2016, 07:23 AM

1,688 posts, read 1,346,290 times
Technically, Falls Church is a town, but it's not your typical town if that's what you're thinking.

Old 06-28-2016, 07:46 AM

2,185 posts, read 2,644,589 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yogamamaofboys View Post
Can anyone please provide me with any experiences they've had within the Falls Church City school district? I'm intrigued by the fact that it is separate from Fairfax county's school system. We are moving from a very small district in Westchester, NY this summer and are a little weary of the giant county school districts. Thanks.
They are good schools. Falls Church city proper is very small, like a couple square miles. I used to live there, although before I had kids. It's a really great area and community wise it seems pretty cohesive from what I could tell. There's a really good farmers market.

One complaint I have heard is if your kids are in sports you're traveling very far for games, because the other schools in the same school district are not anywhere closeby unlike Fairfax or Loudoun schools.

Old 06-28-2016, 08:45 AM

2,282 posts, read 5,570,810 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yogamamaofboys View Post

FCC is unusual as it functions as an independent city in the Commonwealth of Virginia. (Most of the state does not have city political administration has only the State->County organization) This means fcc city has its own police dept, its own Manager/Board of Governance ans has its own (Crippling) taxes.

The schools have an excellent reputation due to the high income families that attend, the very low number of minorities/poor kids and high income parents who are very involved. There are few elementary schools a middle school and a high school. Due to a property swap with Ffx county, the school board is debating whether to rebuild or build new the HS/Middle school. FCC school have a problem retaining some teachers and they are generally paid lower than next door ffx county/arlington cty. (and its impossible for them to afford to live in fcc) Unlike FFX county FCC does not disclose their esol/test scores/ aap on their own site easily so you may need to rely on greatschools which I find completely inaccurate.

(I HIghly recommend reading up on *WHY* FCC when independent in 1948 and *WHY* they ceded off some of the Falls Church City neighborhood to the Falls Church neighborhood of Fairfax County)

FCC is 3 square miles and has the density of a New Jersey city. Its median income is over $120,000K (Think lobbyists/and govt contractors who are lawyers, Tech contractors etc. Also some local TV/radio/media personalities). Due to the State Dept contract with Oakwood apartments, it has many embassy workers (think mostly Western european employees so French/german/etc speakers) assigned here for short 3 year stays. FCC populated mostly high income whites with a smattering of hispanics Median house prices are just under $1 million. Its a very liberal town which has a dedication to LGBT causes due to its nationally famous resident/activist Nicholas Benton and his weekly https://fcnp.com/.

FCC is surrounded by the neighborhood of Falls Church in Fairfax County on one side and Arlington County on the other. Fcc is in the middle of a commercial building boom with a Harris Teeter and a Whole Foods incoming. Plus FFC has built Highrise condos and apts on Broad Street which is new to the town but they need the taxes.

Old 06-28-2016, 08:54 AM

2,282 posts, read 5,570,810 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dmh3 View Post
Great schools. Among the best public schools in the country. It broke away from Fairfax County back in the late 40's/early 50's to become one of the first integrated school districts. About 2,500 students total in the tiny town and for that reason real estate prices are very high. But you get what you pay for.

THAT IS ABSOLUTELY WRONG!!!!

The Southern Democrats in what is now FCC broke away because they DID NOT want blacks in their schools!!!!
They even dumped off parts of the neighborhood (South of Lee Highway hoods/ the corner of lee hy and West street) because they were black neighborhoods and FCC Did NOT want them in the school system

Wow! Got to be kidding me! Are you Trump rewriting history?! smh!

Old 06-28-2016, 08:57 AM

Very welcoming to new comers, although there is a small band of parents/former parents and a couple seniors who enjoy Real Housewives of Falls Church type drama. I guess all towns have them. They are pretty easy to spot. Outside of that group it is a great place to raise a family!

Old 06-28-2016, 09:15 AM

See what I mean? There's one now!

Mr./Ms. Leighland tries to confuse the post-1948 Falls Church with the Falls Church of the 1915.
TinnerHill

"Unlike FFX county FCC does not disclose their esol/test scores/ aap on their own site easily so you may need to rely on greatschools which I find completely inaccurate."
http://www.fccps.org/data

FCC school have a problem retaining some teachers and they are generally paid lower than next door ffx county/arlington cty.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/local...7_graphic.html

Old 06-28-2016, 10:41 AM

540 posts, read 638,763 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NOVA_guy View Post
Technically, Falls Church is a town, but it's not your typical town if that's what you're thinking.
Yeah, it is all about the administrative structure. There is no way to discern Falls Church City from Arlington or Fairfax County when you are passing through. It is just a wash of suburbia.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or