U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-01-2016, 08:56 AM

2,728 posts, read 7,369,547 times

Advertisements

Yesterday it was a little strange, I saw this guy, in the morning walking on (South) Reston Parkway, with an orange gun rights supporter T-shirt, and appears that he was disabled or something because his right arm was useless. He also was packing a firearm outside his left side pocket. It was kind of awkward. I've seen people wearing firearms in Walmart and various restaurants. OK I have no problem with firearms but it was a little weird. If anyone here is LEO, BOLO.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-01-2016, 09:27 AM

7,970 posts, read 9,735,332 times
What was weird? The fact that his firearm was visible?

Old 07-01-2016, 09:35 AM

540 posts, read 642,846 times
I feel like there is a difference in what you are describing and the open-carry advocates that you sometimes see in Texas or wherever carrying around their rifles with the sole intent of stirring things up.

Old 07-01-2016, 09:59 AM

3,916 posts, read 5,378,719 times
Virginia has open-carry laws so what's the big deal? Because it was in Fairfax and not Culpeper? Why should LEO BOLO?

Old 07-01-2016, 10:31 AM

1,597 posts, read 1,832,743 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LynchburgLover View Post
Virginia has open-carry laws so what's the big deal? Because it was in Fairfax and not Culpeper? Why should LEO BOLO?

Yes, normally one does not expect to see that sort of mindless behavior (not advocating for gun rights, but brandishing fireams) around Fairfax/ NoVa in general.

Old 07-01-2016, 10:59 AM

7,970 posts, read 9,735,332 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PK12 View Post
Yes, normally one does not expect to see that sort of mindless behavior (not advocating for gun rights, but brandishing fireams) around Fairfax/ NoVa in general.
From the description, he was not brandishing firearms. In VA, is not considered "brandishing" to simply show a holstered weapon. Open carry is legal and not brandishing (the definition of which involves waving or flourishing).

Old 07-01-2016, 12:50 PM

3,916 posts, read 5,378,719 times
Quote:
How is it "mindless"? The guy was walking down the street for God's sake.

And, granted you might not see open often but you never know who is in line behind you at Fresh Market carrying concealed; might be me.

OP is just stoking controversy.

Old 07-01-2016, 01:36 PM

8,122 posts, read 12,701,277 times
Quote:
Mindless?

Old 07-01-2016, 01:43 PM

8,122 posts, read 12,701,277 times
I teach VA Studies in an elementary school. Students learn about the Virginia Declaration of Rights, the US Constitution, etc. They learn about rights and responsibilities. Every year discussion comes up about open carry laws in addition to other topics. I try to make sure they understand the law so that they don't react negatively should they encounter someone who is carrying openly.

Old 07-01-2016, 02:24 PM

5,073 posts, read 8,649,213 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tgbwc View Post
I teach VA Studies in an elementary school. Students learn about the Virginia Declaration of Rights, the US Constitution, etc. They learn about rights and responsibilities. Every year discussion comes up about open carry laws in addition to other topics. I try to make sure they understand the law so that they don't react negatively should they encounter someone who is carrying openly.
It's great if you teach your students about what the law permits, so they understand that.

I don't know that you should be instructing them not to "react negatively" when they encounter someone who is carrying openly. Depending on the circumstances, it might make the difference between their staying alive and getting shot (far too many examples of mass shootings now in this country to bother citing examples). In any event, they have the right to express their disdain for the Virginia law.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or