Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-24-2014, 11:03 PM

1 posts, read 1,448 times

Advertisements

PCSing to fort belvoir. Want great schools, most value for money (home), and suburban lifestyle- golf and family friendly environment. Should I commute ?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-25-2014, 02:35 AM

7,670 posts, read 14,198,666 times
Depends on how well you tolerate long commutes. If you can get in as early as 6AM you should be ok. Any later and you'll be sitting in traffic for a long time everyday.

Old 12-25-2014, 04:27 AM

12,905 posts, read 15,614,527 times
It's a long ride on a good day. People do it but I would not. It's just a long drive. Then you will also need to contend with getting on and off the base, which I hear isn't great so that will add to your time.

Old 12-25-2014, 05:07 AM

9,865 posts, read 14,056,825 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChristineVA View Post
It's just a long drive.
Not exactly. I do a long commute (1.5 hours each way) and it is mostly just a long drive. It's not bad, just long. The commute the OP is talking about would be long and stuck in traffic, which compounds the pain drastically. Only contemplate this if you are working off-hours and will not be traveling during rush hour.

Old 12-25-2014, 05:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by spencgr View Post
Not exactly. I do a long commute (1.5 hours each way) and it is mostly just a long drive. It's not bad, just long. The commute the OP is talking about would be long and stuck in traffic, which compounds the pain drastically. Only contemplate this if you are working off-hours and will not be traveling during rush hour.
Is the trip from Haymarket to Quantico (I assume I66 to 234) really that trafficky? I have no idea but I assumed not. My son used to go to high school in Dumfries and students traveled from Haymarket to go there and, while a long drive, I never heard that they were in a backup.

Old 12-25-2014, 05:52 AM

9,865 posts, read 14,056,825 times
Quote:
Is the trip from Haymarket to Quantico (I assume I66 to 234) really that trafficky? I have no idea but I assumed not. My son used to go to high school in Dumfries and students traveled from Haymarket to go there and, while a long drive, I never heard that they were in a backup.
OK, I could be wrong, but isn't 66 always backed up during rush hour?

Old 12-25-2014, 05:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by spencgr View Post
OK, I could be wrong, but isn't 66 always backed up during rush hour?
Oh, that part, yes for SURE!! I just don't think that the portion that gets you from Haymarket to 234 is like the parts of 66 starting in Manassas. Again, I am making a lot of assumptions. I was also thinking that you could get to 234 from Haymarket without hitting I66 but, again, I'm just not sure. I guess I could pull out a map!!!

Anyway, OP, I am not sure that Haymarket schools are the be all to end all for that type of commute.

Old 12-25-2014, 06:41 AM

7,670 posts, read 14,198,666 times
Quote:
Big difference going to Dumfries from Haymarket compared to Ft. Belvoir. Taking 234 won't be much help getting to Belvoir.

Old 12-25-2014, 06:45 AM

9,512 posts, read 9,033,995 times
Quote:
Oh, that part, yes for SURE!! I just don't think that the portion that gets you from Haymarket to 234 is like the parts of 66 starting in Manassas. Again, I am making a lot of assumptions. I was also thinking that you could get to 234 from Haymarket without hitting I66 but, again, I'm just not sure. I guess I could pull out a map!!!

Anyway, OP, I am not sure that Haymarket schools are the be all to end all for that type of commute.
Agree with Christine on the school question. If it's high school, new South County high school in Fairfax county is three miles away from ft belvoir. Is the cost of housing pushing the OP to Haymarket? Five acre lots? There are lots of options for housing closer than haymarket for someone working on ft belvoir.

Old 12-25-2014, 09:41 AM

2,768 posts, read 3,516,694 times
Kingstowne has tons of golf and is very suburban with good schools. I'm sure Haymarket schools have much better test scores than kingstowne area but that has more to do with Haymarket being like the least diverse suburb in Northern Virginia. People really exaggerate the differences between schools in Nova. I went to an ethnically diverse HS that some called "ghetto" and it did not make me any stupider.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia