Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-05-2016, 05:05 AM

12,905 posts, read 15,660,053 times

Advertisements

If anyone has a reputable window replacement company they have used, please let me know the name of the company.

I need to replace approximately 15 windows (all non-standard) and I don't want to deal with one of the big companies like Thompson Creek because I have already heard the stories about the high pressure, upselling, 3 hour sales pitch, etc. I went through that a little bit on my roof and definitely want to stay away from those types of businesses.

On the other hand, I don't want some handyman operation either who doesn't have anything to show as far as product goes.

I've put out a request on Thumbtack and gotten several responses from what appears to be single operators which makes me nervous. I received one or two responses from larger companies that I haven't been able to check on yet.

But it would help tremendously if I could get some references to companies that locals have used.

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-05-2016, 05:26 AM

504 posts, read 1,212,753 times
We used Creative Windows at our old place (I'd give them 5 stars) but I heard they have gone out of business. Our new home have Andersen windows (installed by previous owner) and we have had great service from the local reps. Their showroom is near the Home Depot in Merrifield, across from the Mosaic District. I think they go by "Renewal by Andersen" or something like that.

Old 07-05-2016, 06:40 AM

9,879 posts, read 14,128,518 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lqda4 View Post
Our new home have Andersen windows (installed by previous owner) and we have had great service from the local reps. .
If the windows were in when you bought the house, why are you interacting with the reps? Just curious.

Old 07-05-2016, 06:53 AM

504 posts, read 1,212,753 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by spencgr View Post
If the windows were in when you bought the house, why are you interacting with the reps? Just curious.
Some windows needed adjustment and one needed a new cable. Also found out re-screening is free.

Old 07-05-2016, 10:06 AM

53 posts, read 81,805 times
We had our windows replaced a couple of years ago. We ended up working with Windows on Washington, but it was a difficult decision to make as all the vendors we spoke to seemed competitive to us. We also spoke with Hodges Windows and NOVA Installations, both of which we liked -- but we personally knew someone who had used used WoW and had been happy with the work, so we leaned in that direction.

Old 07-05-2016, 11:06 AM

9,879 posts, read 14,128,518 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wtdoor View Post
NOVA Installations, .
I used NOVA Installations, based on a friend's high recommendation. They were great. I have since recommended them to two others, both very happy customers.

Old 07-05-2016, 11:10 AM

Thanks for all of your suggestions.

Old 07-05-2016, 03:07 PM

57 posts, read 68,292 times
Sunshine Contracting, I think they're out of Woodbridge, replaced my bedroom windows and a sliding glass door in my condo. (They were 1 of 2 pre-approved contractors for my HOA - so I didn't really shop around or have a choice on window/door selection.) They were an absolute pleasure to deal with and the two men that were here were fantastic!

Good luck!

Old 07-05-2016, 03:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jess73 View Post
Sunshine Contracting, I think they're out of Woodbridge, replaced my bedroom windows and a sliding glass door in my condo. (They were 1 of 2 pre-approved contractors for my HOA - so I didn't really shop around or have a choice on window/door selection.) They were an absolute pleasure to deal with and the two men that were here were fantastic!

Good luck!
I think my parents have used them for various things and have been okay with them. I will add them to my list!

Old 07-05-2016, 06:48 PM

232 posts, read 361,711 times
I just having my windows replaced in my home. 14 windows in all. I did not want to deal with the big high pressure guys. I got multiple bids from companies with good reviews from multiple sources. Ended up going with Tri County Windows and Siding. They are a family owned company. Owner (Scott) came out to show me the options. Communication was clear. He was knowledgeable about the different brands and options. Didn't try to upsell me (the reverse in fact). No high pressure. Answered several different questions for a couple of weeks after the bid without loss of patience or pressure. They use their own crew which is also a major factor for me.

I definitely recommend including them in your bid process. I was pleased with the pricing, service and communication.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia