U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-10-2015, 09:50 PM

64 posts, read 65,304 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ninjajoey View Post
Jay,

I wonder the same, although it is possible. There are apartments in the area that have lower maximum salary caps - can make $40,000 or less a year. I just moved the area myself, for the good IT jobs, and it is a very nice area.

There are companies that pay great, especially to people right out of collage. There are variables that determine this though (ie the school you attended, degree, etc.) It would be safe to say a degree from MIT would land you at least $60,000 right out of collage, as an example. If I were you I would send a resume to all the large defense contractors - Lockheed, Northrop, etc. They have a lot of entry level IT positions, and are great companies to get in with.

Best of luck to you.

Joe
Isn't the average teacher salary up there around $60,000 per year?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-10-2015, 10:01 PM

64 posts, read 65,304 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flamingo13 View Post
Than you need to go to school and learn how to budget - nice that you registered to complain

Ha ha.

I am about to move from SC to NOVA and the gas is comparable to Charlotte, NC (near where I live) because SC doesn't have a gas tax (will be coming soon i believe). I have done the online grocery shopping with where we currently shop and the prices are the same as lets say Ashburn Harris Teeter. I have also talked to insurance agents and my car insurance will drop about $20-30 it seems (more people paying into the pool). Home insurance is also cheaper for the same reason and not as many natural disasters as where I am from I guess. I believe the the biggest cost of living difference that I am aware of is the housing which is about 100+ percent more up there from what I have seen homes listed at compared to my area.

I think NOVA like anywhere near a big city. You either like it or hate it. Charlotte is a big city but not as big as DC, NY or LA.

Old 02-11-2015, 04:35 AM

8,106 posts, read 12,657,381 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wumarshall82 View Post
Isn't the average teacher salary up there around $60,000 per year?
Recent articles about the FCPS budget put the average in the 60s. That's what a person with 12 years and a BA/BS makes, or 9 years with a MA.

Old 02-12-2015, 11:15 AM

1,167 posts, read 1,796,039 times
I could live well on 88k here. Maybe not in the newest, most fancy apartments in or just outside of DC, but how can you make more than 88k and say it's too hard? Like, what?

Old 02-14-2015, 06:56 AM

52 posts, read 39,812 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Megadell View Post
I could live well on 88k here. Maybe not in the newest, most fancy apartments in or just outside of DC, but how can you make more than 88k and say it's too hard? Like, what?
Sorry, but just because you don't think it's hard doesn't mean that it isn't hard. You must have all your finances lined up. No debt. Maxed out retirement accounts (401k and IRA). Six months of earnings just in case an emergency happens. Right. Easy?

$40k on the other hand, as the original poster asked, is not a whole lot of money. A studio in my apartment complex costs around $1200 a month--I live in Sterling! Fact is, it's a tight fit for $40k a month. I wouldn't move here for that because you can probably do the same where you're currently located.

Budget budget budget .... if you want to come here anyway. Get a girlfriend (or wife) and combine finances. Two income families make things significantly more ... affordable (in some senses). ;-)

Old 02-14-2015, 07:53 AM

8,106 posts, read 12,657,381 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluef250 View Post
Sorry, but just because you don't think it's hard doesn't mean that it isn't hard. You must have all your finances lined up. No debt. Maxed out retirement accounts (401k and IRA). Six months of earnings just in case an emergency happens. Right. Easy?
On $88k? I have to agree with Megadell.

Old 02-15-2015, 08:09 PM

246 posts, read 429,630 times
I dunno, we live on a combined ~88k and we're doing just fine. We have our finances lined up. We budget for everything. We have 1/4 of our combined incomes in savings, a sinking fund, and an emergency fund. We have money left over after we pay all of our bills, and I still put 3x more than my minimum towards student loan payment each month. Do we have big fancy cars or a huge mansion? No, but our cars are paid off, we have enough left over to do fun stuff and go on reasonable vacations once or twice a year. Granted, we don't have maxed out retirements, but we're each putting 10% into it now. I think a lot of people refuse to live within their means and that's more of a personal issue and the mentality of "keeping up with the Joneses" is pretty evident in Northern Virginia We don't have kids either, so I can't imagine how it changes when we get to that point, but we plugged our numbers in and could afford a kid once my loans are paid off in two years and the $1500 we have left over at the end of the month is freed up. It can be done because we do it.

Old 02-16-2015, 06:39 AM

13,044 posts, read 19,876,953 times
My family of 5 lives on much much less that $88K. I don't know how we make it. IN 2 years we will have to move somewhere less expensive. What is a 401K, or an IRA? We do have a 6 minute emergency fund though.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia