U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Unread 02-18-2008, 07:43 AM

96 posts, read 281,320 times
Default Are Taxes Really Much Higher In Va Than Md?

A friend of a friend who lives in Washington, DC said that VA's taxes are MUCH higher VA than in MD. Is this true?

I am relocating to the area and haven't totally decided on MD or VA...

All feedback is so appreciated.

Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Unread 02-18-2008, 08:41 AM

3,843 posts, read 5,667,495 times
Absolutely NOT true. Md taxes are much higher than Va.

When large corporations like Volkswagen relocate their HQ to this area, they almost always choose Va....there is a reason for that.

Unread 02-18-2008, 08:55 AM

1,874 posts, read 1,948,452 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PAFAMILIY View Post
A friend of a friend who lives in Washington, DC said that VA's taxes are MUCH higher VA than in MD. Is this true?

I am relocating to the area and haven't totally decided on MD or VA...

All feedback is so appreciated.

Thanks
I remember doing a lot of calculations (including DC) before buying a house here. Taxes include not only income tax but also property tax, car tax, etc. At the time, and I believe now, it depends on your income level, how many cars you have and whether they are luxury models (because of car tax in VA), whether you own a home, etc. To get the full story, you also have to look at fees (another word for tax!) on water and sewer, etc.

For example, some counties in Maryland update their real estate assessments every 3 years; some in VA do it every year. So some of us have been paying higher taxes on our houses as the market went up each year, while others have not. DC also has a cap on the % increase each year and this has been keeping some costs down for DC homeowners.

Unread 02-18-2008, 10:55 AM

825 posts, read 2,140,450 times
I haven't done a detailed analysis, but MD has a long-standing reputation for having higher taxes than VA. That said, I'm sure people have found ways to organize their lives to influence their tax bills at the margins one way or another who might disagree.

Unread 02-18-2008, 11:44 AM

Well, we have 2002 owned minivan and 98 mercury sable...we will try to find a house to buy if we feel the neighborhood and the school is right. Our jt income will be approx 125,000 initially...so that is my data in a nutshell...
My husband is working at DOJ in DC and we haven't decided on MD or VA

Unread 02-18-2008, 12:59 PM

6,520 posts, read 7,740,674 times
I don't have hard numbers, but I've lived in both states and didn't see much difference in my total tax bill. The only difference that stood out was not having to pay the "car tax" when moving to MD.

Unread 02-18-2008, 08:54 PM

Default what is the car tax?

Quote:
Originally Posted by dkf747 View Post
I don't have hard numbers, but I've lived in both states and didn't see much difference in my total tax bill. The only difference that stood out was not having to pay the "car tax" when moving to MD.
Can you explain what a car tax is?

Unread 02-19-2008, 06:36 AM

6,520 posts, read 7,740,674 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PAFAMILIY View Post
Can you explain what a car tax is?
Hopefully you can find your answers on this web page: Taxes and Revenue - Fairfax County, Virginia

or here: Vehicle Personal Property Tax Information : Commissioner of Revenue : Arlington, Virginia
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $74,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia