U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-11-2016, 08:25 PM

5,070 posts, read 8,607,594 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by FootballDadandSoccerMom View Post
Hello,
I have the chance to relocate and someone mentioned to me that Short Pump, VA isn't that much cheaper than living in Northern Virginia. I then decided to price the differences and Great Falls, is heaps more than Short Pump or Richmond in general. Is it worth it though, to pay 800k for a house? Because it seems Deep Run HS, here in Richmond is on par with Woodson or Langley. I guess what I am asking is overall is NoVA better than Richmond? Thanks in General
It all depends on what matters most to you. I think of Ashburn in Loudoun County as more similar to Short Pump than any place in Fairfax County. The main difference is that Ashburn is further from downtown DC than Short Pump is from downtown Richmond.

In terms of academics, both Langley and Woodson have higher test scores than Deep Run HS (average SATs at Langley and Woodson last year were 1815 and 1773, compared to 1639 at Deep Run). Langley and Woodson are also more diverse than Deep Run, which is about 75% white.

There's less going on in the Richmond area than in the DC suburbs, in terms of both jobs and cultural activities, but it's also considerably less congested. For a mid-size city, it's fairly nice, although the business community is a bit insular. Many of the local business leaders grew up in Richmond and returned there after graduating.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-12-2016, 10:06 AM

2,185 posts, read 2,639,819 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FootballDadandSoccerMom View Post
Hello,
I have the chance to relocate and someone mentioned to me that Short Pump, VA isn't that much cheaper than living in Northern Virginia. I then decided to price the differences and Great Falls, is heaps more than Short Pump or Richmond in general. Is it worth it though, to pay 800k for a house? Because it seems Deep Run HS, here in Richmond is on par with Woodson or Langley. I guess what I am asking is overall is NoVA better than Richmond? Thanks in General
Nobody can really tell you if it's better. That's just personal preference. The job market generally does support the high housing prices though. Generally people make a lot more here than in Richmond so it is worth it for alot of people. Same scenario that plays out in every major metro area.

Old 07-14-2016, 02:24 PM

45 posts, read 79,685 times
Short pump isn't in richmond city, it's in West end Henrico county..I currently commute from the innsbrook area of henrico to springfield 4 days a week (long story)

we are currently also searching for a new house and considering henrico,midlothian and western PWC

my logic is your going to pay either in time or in money.. My commute is roughly 90-97 mins each way for the 4 days a week a drive up

the house we would want in PWC would cost about 7-725k vs the 4-550k for short pump and if I go into chesterfield I can save another 50-75k

my commute is a trial so 6 more months and i'll make a choice

Old 07-14-2016, 02:42 PM

1,592 posts, read 1,815,164 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by quanva View Post
Short pump isn't in richmond city, it's in West end Henrico county..I currently commute from the innsbrook area of henrico to springfield 4 days a week (long story)

we are currently also searching for a new house and considering henrico,midlothian and western PWC

my logic is your going to pay either in time or in money.. My commute is roughly 90-97 mins each way for the 4 days a week a drive up

the house we would want in PWC would cost about 7-725k vs the 4-550k for short pump and if I go into chesterfield I can save another 50-75k

Sounds like a miserable commute. Do yourself and your family a favor and just find a job in Richmond.

Old 07-14-2016, 02:54 PM

1,676 posts, read 1,337,672 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by quanva View Post

I'm always fascinated when I hear stories like this and living here, you hear it all - people who commute from Richmond suburbs, Charlottesville, Winchester, West Virginia, etc.

If you have a DC/Northern Virginia based job... move to the area, that sort of thing long term can't be healthy.

When I used to work in Fairfax, a guy commuted from Culpeper 5 days a week and he said he could afford to move to the area but he refused to move his family to Northern Virginia which is fine, everyone has different preferences but why do that to yourself and your family?

Old 07-14-2016, 03:38 PM

11,345 posts, read 20,115,614 times
OP hasn't come back since that day of post(s)

Old 07-14-2016, 04:48 PM

8,107 posts, read 12,631,628 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flamingo13 View Post
OP hasn't come back since that day of post(s)
True, but I still have a thought and a question.

I'm always curious about salaries when people reference the price of homes in other areas vs. Northern VA counties. Do people keep salaries and save that much more money when they live in lower COL areas, or as quanva mentioned, are they commuting longer distances?

For example, if we moved to Henrico County our house would be less expensive but our HHI would drop about $85-90k. Is the housing that much cheaper that we would be ahead? (I'm not moving. )

Old 07-18-2016, 04:28 PM

30,077 posts, read 67,135,758 times
Northern Virginia (NoVA) is absolutely worth the price if you can comfortably afford it. I lived in NoVA from 2009-2010. I was making ~$40,000/year. My rent was ~$1,300/month for a 1-BR unit in the census designated place of Reston. Fresh out of college I had no desire to move to a new state and share a 2-BR apartment with a stranger from CraigsList, so I ended up truly struggling to live comfortably. I now live within walking distance of Downtown Pittsburgh and pay roughly half the rent I was paying in NoVA. I'm also earning ~$10,000/year less. When you factor in the fewer crowds here, the shorter lines, the less-congested roads, etc. I prefer living here, despite doing roughly the same socioeconomically here as I was back in NoVA.

If I was making ~$75,000+/year I may have felt differently living in a part of Fairfax County with a six-figure median household income. By your "we could certainly afford more than $800,000 for a house" comments I'm presuming you're a 1%'er. As such you'd likely much prefer life in McLean/Vienna (no need for Great Falls) over life in Short Pump, despite the higher price tag. $1,000,000 in Short Pump would get you a much nicer home than it would in NoVA no doubt; however, NoVA, being right on the cusp of the nation's capital, offers a tremendous array of amenities and opportunities.

I loved kayaking on the Potomac River; running a 5K race around the U.S. Capitol; getting dressed up and strolling the streets of Georgetown; drinking on U Street with colleagues; attending my first LGBT-friendly party ever in Logan Circle; and running the Washington & Old Dominion Trail. Maybe Metrorail has really gone downhill in recent years, but I loved the Orange Line when I lived in NoVA, and I'd presume the new Silver Line is even better. Old Town Alexandria is unparalleled for historic charm. I got chills when I'd see the Washington Monument or National Cathedral at night. Being a native Pennsylvanian who was accustomed to everywhere looking old/historic/scenic I felt like a fish out of water in a land of aesthetically unattractive suburban sprawl, but the quick drive to Winchester, which is a HIGHLY underrated historic city on the fringe of the metropolitan area, always cured my itch for a place that was Pennsylvania-like. Fredericksburg was great, too. Also Warrenton. Also Culpeper. And Middleburg!

On the downside I found many (not all) people in NoVA to be rather unfriendly. There's an aura of pretense/arrogance emanating from many of the more affluent suburbs there, including Reston, where I lived. I made some wonderful friendships at my church and via volunteering briefly with the local library, but I saw more spoiled middle-aged adults throwing temper tantrums in public places there than anywhere else I've lived. I also didn't like the lack of diversity. NoVA (outside the Beltway, anyways) largely felt 95% white, upper-middle-class, heterosexual, and socially conservative to me. I was surrounded by a sea of Priuses (Prii?) and BMW's. Sometimes I'd head to National Harbor (which isn't that dissimilar to Reston Town Ceter as a "fake downtown") over in Prince George's County just to see a bit more diversity.

Overall if I was as wealthy as you appear to be if you can afford an $800,000+ home, then I'd choose NoVA in a heartbeat. Public schools are largely excellent. Recreational opportunities are abundant. The region is replete with shopping/dining options galore. Violent crime is nearly non-existent. Potholes are a rarity. Despite the aura of pretense many people DO still volunteer, which I loved about living there. Also, since moving to Pittsburgh in 2010 we've barely had any snow here despite being up in the mountains whereas NoVA, which isn't very highly-elevated overall and is much further south, has had some good juicy snow storms. As a snow lover it bums me out that I moved to this city during a multi-year snow drought.

Old 07-19-2016, 02:27 PM

1,254 posts, read 1,084,092 times
NoVA is way better than Richmond...

Old 07-19-2016, 06:08 PM

1,592 posts, read 1,815,164 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelCityRising View Post

On the downside I found many (not all) people in NoVA to be rather unfriendly. There's an aura of pretense/arrogance emanating from many of the more affluent suburbs there, including Reston, where I lived. I made some wonderful friendships at my church and via volunteering briefly with the local library, but I saw more spoiled middle-aged adults throwing temper tantrums in public places there than anywhere else I've lived. I also didn't like the lack of diversity. NoVA (outside the Beltway, anyways) largely felt 95% white, upper-middle-class, heterosexual, and socially conservative to me. I was surrounded by a sea of Priuses (Prii?) and BMW's. Sometimes I'd head to National Harbor (which isn't that dissimilar to Reston Town Ceter as a "fake downtown") over in Prince George's County just to see a bit more diversity.

Not sure where you lived in Reston, but it appears to be heavily diverse - lots of Asians, South Asians, Latinos etc.

And Prius is anything BUT a luxury car.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or