U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-19-2016, 06:12 PM

30,177 posts, read 67,314,530 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by PK12 View Post
And Prius is anything BUT a luxury car.
Aren't they like $30,000?! Maybe we have a different definition of "expensive". My Honda Fit is killing me financially, and it's by no means luxurious.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-20-2016, 08:06 AM

1,597 posts, read 1,827,617 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelCityRising View Post
Aren't they like $30,000?! Maybe we have a different definition of "expensive". My Honda Fit is killing me financially, and it's by no means luxurious.

Most models range between $20K - $25K

Old 07-20-2016, 09:59 AM

8,113 posts, read 12,677,755 times
Quote:
I went back and read it again. Did you say the Prius is a luxury car?

Old 07-20-2016, 10:09 AM

8,113 posts, read 12,677,755 times
Quote:

On the downside I found many (not all) people in NoVA to be rather unfriendly. There's an aura of pretense/arrogance emanating from many of the more affluent suburbs there, including Reston, where I lived. I made some wonderful friendships at my church and via volunteering briefly with the local library, but I saw more spoiled middle-aged adults throwing temper tantrums in public places there than anywhere else I've lived. I also didn't like the lack of diversity. NoVA (outside the Beltway, anyways) largely felt 95% white, upper-middle-class, heterosexual, and socially conservative to me. I was surrounded by a sea of Priuses (Prii?) and BMW's. Sometimes I'd head to National Harbor (which isn't that dissimilar to Reston Town Ceter as a "fake downtown") over in Prince George's County just to see a bit more diversity.
Perhaps it's a difference in communities, or career fields, but I find the opposite where we live in West Springfield. Many of the people I talk with (parents of my students, families at the nearby pool, families with kids on sports teams, etc.) say this is one of the friendliest places they have lived.

In contrast, my wife's family lives in NW PA. I find that to be one of the least friendly places around to someone who wasn't born and didn't grow up there.

Old 07-20-2016, 11:18 AM

419 posts, read 363,031 times
Quote:
The average transaction price for a new car has been over $30k for a few years now. (I'd be more interested in the mean price, but I have not seen anything about that.)

Old 07-20-2016, 02:12 PM

19 posts, read 23,625 times
I know lots of people who work in technology, medicine and government contracting jobs that make really good money. They are highly skilled and do better in the DC area than they could almost anywhere else. Life is good for them.

But the majority of people who make less than $60K a year who do jobs that can be found in nearly every town, have no business living here. Example: The lady at Haircuttery who cuts my hair told me she makes $7.45 and hour plus tips. She would have a much better quality of life and could have a much higher standard of living in Richmond.

Old 07-20-2016, 05:37 PM

2,675 posts, read 4,533,545 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PK12 View Post
Most models range between $20K - $25K
That range includes their smallest econobox model (the C) and the top of your range is nowhere close to the price with the higher end trim and options packages. The Prius V wagon runs higher.

http://www.edmunds.com/toyota/prius/2016/

Old 07-20-2016, 05:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jobber123rd View Post
The average transaction price for a new car has been over $30k for a few years now. (I'd be more interested in the mean price, but I have not seen anything about that.)
The mean is the average. Maybe you meant the median?

Old 07-20-2016, 05:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by General Interest View Post
I know lots of people who work in technology, medicine and government contracting jobs that make really good money. They are highly skilled and do better in the DC area than they could almost anywhere else. Life is good for them.
I think this depends a lot on the industry and/or profession. In mine, salaries are about the same or a little higher than at comparable orgs in other cities. When I look at the locality adjustments for federal employees (I'm in the private sector), it appears to me that these are nowhere close to covering the cost of living differential. we also pay relatively low costs for health care here relative to our general cost of living and costs elsewhere, which suggests to me that HC professionals don't get paid a lot more than they would in other cities. A lot of people come here for reasons other than unique career opportunities or salaries that offset COL differences, such as dual career opportunities, cultural attractions, family nearby, etc.

Old 07-20-2016, 10:17 PM

419 posts, read 363,031 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ACWhite View Post
The mean is the average. Maybe you meant the median?
Yep. That's what I get for not reviewing my post before submitting it. I thought I had put median there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or