Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-11-2016, 07:56 PM

4 posts, read 9,089 times

Advertisements

My husband may be taking a job at the Pentagon so we are looking at Woodbridge as a location to purchase a home that's more in our price range. Does anyone commute either using the direct buses or slugging from Woodbridge to the Pentagon? What is your commute like? How long does it typically take you? Also what parts of Woodbridge would be the best to live in? We were also thinking of looking at a few of the communities off the Prince William parkway/234 that's technically considered Manassas, but right over the Woodbridge line. Are those areas too far out to get to the commuter lots?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-11-2016, 08:02 PM

2,262 posts, read 2,398,522 times
Lake Ridge (22192) is a good place to look. Lake Ridge also has the best schools in Woodbridge if that's important. The 234/Hoadly Rd part of Woodbridge is also nice, a lot of new construction and good schools as well.

The Horner Rd Commuter Lot (the largest commute lot in the state) is about 35-45 mins to Pentagon in the express lanes.

Old 07-12-2016, 04:11 AM

12,905 posts, read 15,656,633 times
I commute from Woodbridge to DC (I go past the Pentagon). I am in a 2 person carpool that leaves at 5:15AM for a 6AM arrival and I do that with absolutely no problem. I am at my desk at 6AM and that includes getting onto a base in DC and parking in the garage and walking across the street, so early is better.

If you are going in later, than public transportation is the way to go. My daughter was slugging from the Horner Road Lot to DC and she was getting into DC in 35 and getting home in the same amount of time. Very, very efficient way to go. I think the bus takes more time just because you have to wait at your stop and it might have a few stops (and goes slower than most drivers). Otherwise, it's not much more time.

The area you reference is very nice and very pretty; however, it will add probably 20 minutes on to your commute just to get down from that area to the commuter lots. I would recommend moving as close to 95 as you can get for ease of commute. That ride to and from the commuter lot (especially in the afternoon hours) can be a bear.

Old 07-12-2016, 09:16 AM

91 posts, read 111,438 times
I agree with what everyone else has said. When we lived in Lake Ridge one of us got off the bus nearby the Pentagon. Neighbor worked at the Pentagon, she was slugging. I definitely would stick with the 22192 area.

Old 07-13-2016, 06:03 PM

9,510 posts, read 9,083,933 times
The challenge is old bridge road gets busy during rush hour. If you live off Hoadley road vs. Woodbridge high school area, then that will add an extra 10 minutes.

Its common to catch the buses either at the horner commuter lot or Tackets mill commuter lot. That option is also open to slug to the pentagon too.

Time. If it takes 15 from your front door to drive and park at Tackets commuter lot, few minutes to wait, 35 min is approximate from bus to Pentagon, total is about an hour which results in most peoplpe being happy.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia