Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-26-2016, 06:50 PM

36 posts, read 48,653 times

Advertisements

Hello All: Just received a tentative offer to relocate to Fort Belvoir Community Hospital. Looking for a safe, family friendly neighborhood with a good high school. I'm looking for a 3 BR TH with a garage (preferably) under $2200. I also have a small dog who'd love a little outside space to chase butterflies. Also, what areas to stay away from would be helpful too.
Thx
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-27-2016, 12:48 AM

2,765 posts, read 8,318,372 times
Get your redfin or zillow app fired up and enter your requirements. I also highly suggest you look at the traffic, in google maps, during your exact commute times and gauge your commute.

Old 07-27-2016, 05:24 AM

526 posts, read 899,394 times
I would check 22152 (West Springfield). Lots of nice townhouses although not many with garages. Outstanding high school. Really nice place to live.

Old 07-27-2016, 08:24 AM

518 posts, read 923,454 times
You have lots of options, it all depends on how far you want to commute. There are several gems within 20 min. of Ft. Belvoir including Lake Ridge, West Springfield, Kingstowne, Lorton and Mt. Vernon. You will want to stay away from neighborhoods right along the Rte 1 corridor. And I mean right along the Rte 1 corridor. Just north of Ft Belvoir there are some not so nice neighborhoods but you go a few streets past and there are gems. As for high schools, there aren't any real bad ones in Northern Virginia in general. A poor school in this area is still top 20 percent in the country. I don't know how familiar you are with the area, so I will say that commute times can be significantly longer for the same distance than in other areas.

Last edited by roninsedge; 07-27-2016 at 08:25 AM.. Reason: Finishing a sentence.

Old 07-27-2016, 09:00 AM

In general, I'd like to keep the commute less than 30 minutes. I've only been to the area once and that was in Spotsylvania, which I know is too far of a commute. I like what I'm seeing in the W. Springfield and Lorton areas and will focus there. I've heard the HS in W. Springfield was/is undergoing renovations. Does anyone know if its complete yet?

This may seem trivial, but I'm coming from Florida and never really lived in an area that gets cold (except a 2 year stint in Germany many pants sizes ago). That is why I prefer a garage, so that my bun doesn't freeze in the car during the winter & I wouldn't have scape ice or dig it out of the snow before the morning commute. Is it something that you just get use to when you don't have a garage, or is it no big deal? IJS

Old 07-27-2016, 09:14 AM

526 posts, read 899,394 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Why-not-now View Post
In general, I'd like to keep the commute less than 30 minutes. I've only been to the area once and that was in Spotsylvania, which I know is too far of a commute. I like what I'm seeing in the W. Springfield and Lorton areas and will focus there. I've heard the HS in W. Springfield was/is undergoing renovations. Does anyone know if its complete yet?

This may seem trivial, but I'm coming from Florida and never really lived in an area that gets cold (except a 2 year stint in Germany many pants sizes ago). That is why I prefer a garage, so that my bun doesn't freeze in the car during the winter & I wouldn't have scape ice or dig it out of the snow before the morning commute. Is it something that you just get use to when you don't have a garage, or is it no big deal? IJS
West Springfield High School has just started its renovations. The school will be somewhat of a mess for the next three years, unfortunately. Honestly, though, I wouldn't make any decisions based on just that. It's still an excellent school even if the building is a mess! And I say that as a parent whose youngest child will graduation just as the renovations are complete.

Old 07-27-2016, 10:16 AM

798 posts, read 2,725,453 times
I suggest goggling TH for rent in zip code 22315 which is right outside of the Telegraph gate on Belvoir. You may have to go slightly higher that $2200 to find what you want but your commute would be perfect.

Old 07-27-2016, 04:43 PM

9,512 posts, read 9,057,826 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by irisheyes13 View Post
I suggest goggling TH for rent in zip code 22315 which is right outside of the Telegraph gate on Belvoir. You may have to go slightly higher that $2200 to find what you want but your commute would be perfect.
You could get a SFH (vs. Townhouse) with a garage in 22192 for that price. May have to search a bit but there are some in that price range. 20 min to ft Belvoir.

Old 07-27-2016, 04:56 PM

36 posts, read 34,447 times
That's a very nice hospital, I lived in the area for 3 years and my girls and I went there for our medical care.

I just moved away from the West Springfield area last year, and I'd love to come back but it's just too darn expensive! Regardless, that is my area of choice. Great schools, lots of nice neighborhoods (off of Keene Mill Rd. from Kings Towne to Burke). You will find some townhouses for that price, but you have to search for the ones with garages. My commute in the morning to Belvoir from that area was about 20 min. Against traffic that direction, so that helped. Lorton is close, but you are going with the traffic northbound. Still won't be too bad though. I agree with the other poster about looking right outside the Telegraph gate. Some really nice communities there too, and there are garages in a couple of the townhome neighborhoods. Don't be surprised if you have to go above your budget though. Kingstowne is very pricey, but close to all the shopping. You might also want to check militarybyowner.com because there are a lot of rentals listed on there with all the military families around the area! Good luck!

Old 07-27-2016, 08:14 PM

Great info! I appreciate everyone's input. CD needs a like button.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia