U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-13-2016, 11:34 AM

8,113 posts, read 12,677,755 times

Advertisements

Anybody been to this place? Pork Barrel BBQ

Barbecue. Barbeque. BBQ. No matter how you spell it, we've got it!

Thoughts? Reviews look okay.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-13-2016, 02:02 PM

956 posts, read 1,297,143 times
So far, I've tried a couple of the other posters' recommendations. Not what I was looking for so far. I'll try more when I am in a particular neighborhood.

Two more to add to the list - close by the Beltway

Smoke Shack - just off the Beltway, down 210 South, Livingston Rd Exit. Easy to find, just look for the smoke. It's a small family business that's only open Thu - Sun. They do the full gamut of meats - they use a drippy tomato-based sauce that's very vinegary. I opted for their "hot" sauce, which to me was very mild. They also sell a "NC BBQ" pulled pork with a vinegar nontomato sauce (oddly less vinegary than their tomato-based sauce). I can't say it's a standout though. It's a local working class joint without an urban trendinista in sight for at least a mile or three (a plus in my book).

The closest pretty good BBQ I have found is Uncle Fred's BBQ. The family sets up a parking lot smoker at a couple of the local Farmers Markets - Springfield Town Center, Huntington and Tysons. Fred knows what he's doing with meat - he cooks the very tender, somewhat fatty, falling off the bone kind. His sauce is very mild - the smoke flavor comes through but little else.

Old 08-13-2016, 02:55 PM

6,578 posts, read 10,883,663 times
So has anyone tried Shawn's in Culpeper or Warrenton?

Old 08-13-2016, 04:51 PM

4,338 posts, read 2,261,255 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by midlifeman View Post
bubba's bbq on lee highway in falls church has good NC BBQ, otherwise I like Docklands
Yes and yes. There is also a BBQ truck on route 15/50 that sells Ribs and Pulled Pork - my personal favorite.

Old 08-13-2016, 06:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vacanegro View Post
Yes and yes. There is also a BBQ truck on route 15/50 that sells Ribs and Pulled Pork - my personal favorite.

Yep, that's the Pit Stop at Gilberts Corner that Spencgr mentioned.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigfoot424 View Post
So has anyone tried Shawn's in Culpeper or Warrenton?
I head to Floyd twice a year (Thanksgiving and Christmas) and will check them out when I pass by that way. Thanks for the recommendation.

Old 08-13-2016, 08:56 PM

102 posts, read 486,774 times
Try Johnny Mac's North Carolina BBQ, at 8526 Richmond Hwy (Alexandria, VA 22309). It's just what you're looking for. You won't regret it!

Old 08-14-2016, 07:30 AM

15,779 posts, read 9,524,386 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlexandriaVa11 View Post
Try Johnny Mac's North Carolina BBQ, at 8526 Richmond Hwy (Alexandria, VA 22309). It's just what you're looking for. You won't regret it!
It's def NC pulled pork BBQ. Just ok IMO - sides so-so. The frozen custard is the bomb diggity - especially with a side of fries Plus, Johnny and the kids who work there are great. I like supporting locally owned places like johnnys.

Old 08-18-2016, 10:49 AM

5,333 posts, read 6,136,543 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tgbwc View Post
Anybody been to this place? Pork Barrel BBQ

Barbecue. Barbeque. BBQ. No matter how you spell it, we've got it!

Thoughts? Reviews look okay.
I am not a fan at all. I've been twice, and eaten it catered a few times. When it opened there was a lot of enthusiasm for such an establishment, and I went to the opening. Disappointed - and my subsequent times didn't change my opinion.

I used to go to the roadside smoker places in PG County, Maryland, and the one I most often visited later moved into Smokeshack Ribs on Livingston Rd, Fort Washington.

Old 08-19-2016, 07:54 AM

771 posts, read 1,208,112 times
I personally love Smokehouse Live in Leesburg, but I think that's Texas style bbq (which I personally like more than the NC style, but probably because I've spent a lot of time in Texas). I've always found it to be more or less similar to Rudy's, which is a Texas chain.

There's a BBQ food truck on Route 15 after Lucketts and before Point of Rocks that I think is pretty good and it's NC style bbq. I also love Carolina Brothers in Ashburn.

Finally, there's a place called Urban BBQ that is also in Ashburn that I really enjoy.

Dixie Bones is a very popular recommendation, but I have to say I don't personally like it very much. I absolutely can't stand Red, Hot and Blue, yet I end up going there more frequently than I'd like because my in-laws love it. Ugh.

Old 06-11-2017, 09:39 PM

I'm bumping last year's thread to let folks know about the Beer, Bourbon and Barbeque Festival at National Harbor June 16 - 17 2017 Fri and Sat. Menu | Beer, Bourbon and BBQ
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia