Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-05-2016, 07:32 AM

6 posts, read 6,370 times

Advertisements

Thank you all for the guidance, I will be going to court. I will also take "asshat" as a compliment. That one for me is new hahaha
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-05-2016, 07:44 AM

9,510 posts, read 9,087,690 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by boyd888 View Post
You were speeding and the cop saw you were speeding, but you are just salty that you weren't caught by actual radar. Getting caught by pacing is lame and yes it will be you vs. the officer and the officer usually wins, but you can beat it.

"Definitely do not admit to being over the limit in court though lol. "
So you're advice is to lie in court to a judge? Surely the judge may ask if the driver thought he was speeding because he overtook the police officer who was traveling the speed limit. And the police officer will provide the drivers comments about asking to see radar, do you have proof, etc.

If the driver insists that he did not speed and is adimit that he was not but somehow passed a police officer doing 30mph, I doubt this will work. Honesty is what the judge is trying to discern in the few seconds the driver is testifying.

Old 08-05-2016, 08:12 AM

7,670 posts, read 14,243,626 times
Quote:
You were speeding and the cop saw you were speeding, but you are just salty that you weren't caught by actual radar. Getting caught by pacing is lame and yes it will be you vs. the officer and the officer usually wins, but you can beat it. Definitely do not admit to being over the limit in court though lol.

So instead of arguing over whether the ticket is worth arguing over, why don't you check this article on beating these types of tickets:

How to beat a speeding ticket - Visual Estimate Testimony

Good luck.

Why do you think it's lame? Just curious. I never lost a pace UTS in my 30 years.

Old 08-05-2016, 08:32 AM

1,304 posts, read 2,426,603 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnsonkk View Post
If the driver insists that he did not speed and is adimit that he was not but somehow passed a police officer doing 30mph, I doubt this will work. Honesty is what the judge is trying to discern in the few seconds the driver is testifying.
The judge is discerning guilt based on the officer's evidence vs yours. This is not some fantasy world where being honest gets you out of breaking the law. If the officer's lane was merging towards the OP's road, then the OP would move ahead of the officer even if they were going the same speed because the officer is traveling the longer distance.

It is up to the commonwealth to prove their charges against you, not for you to admit you were driving over the limit. You are not allowed to go over the speed limit to pass someone. You admit that to a judge you are guilty. By your logic why not open every case ever with "Did you .... as you are charged?"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigfoot424 View Post
Why do you think it's lame? Just curious. I never lost a pace UTS in my 30 years.
Lame as in unlucky. People slow down for merging cops all the time and the cops let it go. Like OP is annoyed it was pace and not a marked car with a radar gun.

Old 08-08-2016, 08:35 AM

Quote:
You were speeding and the cop saw you were speeding, but you are just salty that you weren't caught by actual radar. Getting caught by pacing is lame and yes it will be you vs. the officer and the officer usually wins, but you can beat it. Definitely do not admit to being over the limit in court though lol.

So instead of arguing over whether the ticket is worth arguing over, why don't you check this article on beating these types of tickets:

How to beat a speeding ticket - Visual Estimate Testimony

Good luck.
Thank you for this link, I've looked at it and will be going to court!

Old 11-03-2016, 11:34 AM

All,

You'll be pleased to hear (or not) that I beat the ticket in court. Judge did not hold that the visual estimate was enough to give me a speeding ticket. Thank you all for your help and guidance (with links and comments), huge win for me.

Old 11-03-2016, 12:56 PM

5,162 posts, read 4,488,801 times
Quote:
Lame as in unlucky. People slow down for merging cops all the time and the cops let it go. Like OP is annoyed it was pace and not a marked car with a radar gun.
I was traveling in a a lane next to a police officer in heavy traffic on 50 in Arlington and flashed my lights to let him know it was clear to come over even though he did not have his signal on. It was near the Court House "exit" and I do that stuff all the time for trucks. He pulled me over and I could tell he was annoyed. I just told him I was letting him know it was clear to get over. I did not have to ask "do you have me on radar?". He did not give me a ticket but as I left I figured I should not do that to police as they probably have to check that out and in heavy traffic it is not the safest thing for them to do.

I think the OP knows they were doing something wrong and the smart ass answer just confirmed it.

Coworker: Hey, someone took my lunch from the fridge, did you take it?
Me: Do you have it on tape?

WTF?

Old 11-03-2016, 12:57 PM

5,162 posts, read 4,488,801 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 42camels View Post
All,

You'll be pleased to hear (or not) that I beat the ticket in court. Judge did not hold that the visual estimate was enough to give me a speeding ticket. Thank you all for your help and guidance (with links and comments), huge win for me.
If this is a huge win for you then you may wish to rethink "winning".

Old 11-17-2016, 01:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Guard View Post
You sound bitter, as if I should have gotten the ticket. Are you the cop I beat in court? hahaha

Old 11-17-2016, 06:00 PM

1,304 posts, read 2,426,603 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Guard View Post
It is a huge win as he beat the ticket. Perhaps I was wrong about who the salty one was. Try going 60mph on the beltway sometime and notice how many cars pass you - they are all technically guilty of speeding.

Congrats OP, nice work. Good to hear it worked out for you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
View detailed profiles of: