Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-05-2008, 10:31 AM

66 posts, read 246,941 times

Advertisements

we looked in Dominion Valley back in 2003. The houses looked beautiful but I didn't feel comfortable about buying there. At the time I didn't know why but my gut was right I guess. The few people I knew who bought there had issues, not terrible but they expected better buying a premium house..there were some issues with the quality.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-05-2008, 05:42 PM

67 posts, read 336,876 times
If you have time, go through a home under construction. You will see the quality of construction. Also, check different levels of construction. We notice that there is some omission of insulation in spots before the drywall went up. More importantly, check the finish work.

Overall, do you still love the floor plan? If so, maybe you can overlook some of the quality issues and just suck it up. Yes, it is a buyer's market and you should have more power as a buyer now than you did a couple of years ago.

Good luck. Visit more of the new home builders and see how they finish their homes. You might be surprised to find they are all the same.

Old 03-06-2008, 04:26 AM

2,765 posts, read 8,324,774 times
You people always want quality for the price you paid. The reality is that _____ are putting together these houses. The QA/QC is so-so and they dont do a "perfect" job. Buying a house is a challenge. There always is a need for improvements somewhere and replacement of something. Dont expect perfection.

Last edited by FindingZen; 03-06-2008 at 07:30 AM.. Reason: inappropriate remarks

Old 03-06-2008, 06:56 AM

621 posts, read 3,205,206 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VRE332 View Post
You people always want quality for the price you paid. The reality is that ______ are putting together these houses. The QA/QC is so-so and they dont do a "perfect" job. Buying a house is a challenge. There always is a need for improvements somewhere and replacement of something. Dont expect perfection.
Yes I do want quality for the price I paid. I didn't buy a "cheap" house. It's not the most expensive either, but I don't think anyone is expecting perfection. However, we do expect our homes to be built to code and that they should be FINISHED when going through the walk through. If anyone is expecting perfection than that's simple naivete.

Last edited by FindingZen; 03-06-2008 at 07:31 AM.. Reason: edited inappropriate remarks in quote

Old 09-08-2008, 08:37 AM

1 posts, read 3,998 times
Default Curious?

I am curious if you did buy a Toll Brothers home? My Mom owns one and is currently having her 2nd major problem. What did you decide? How was the experience? Problems?

Old 09-10-2008, 09:55 AM

55 posts, read 165,159 times
While I don't know anything about Toll Bros, I must admit, when I looked for a home to purchase I did NOT want new construction. In fact, I didn't want anything newer than mid-1930's.

The homes built long ago were built by true craftsmen. When I found my place, I knew that was it. Built around 1920, it is a true work of art & being a brick house, it's withstood 90 years of mother nature & still stands as she did years ago.

If there is one big passion of mine, that is it. I want to see where these new places will be in 90 years....in a landfill. So much for Green!

You can't beat the character of these old gems either!

Mo

EDIT: After I'd posted...I found this...
http://www.city-data.com/forum/northern-virginia/193378-how-backout-toll-brothers-contract.html

Think REAL hard before you sign!

Last edited by bungalowmo; 09-10-2008 at 11:05 AM.. Reason: link

Old 06-19-2009, 12:16 PM

1 posts, read 3,767 times
My son worked for Toll Brothers in Woodbridge, VA, and quit after two weeks. He said they cut too many corners and he would not work for them. He said their work was very poor quality. I also had a friend that bought a house in Spotsylvania a few years ago that Toll Brothers built and she said the workmanship was awful. She has been in the house 3 years and she still has 58 items on the punch list that still have not been fixed. They spilled paint on her floor and the backsplash has a bump in it. They told her to set something in front of it. She said it was her dreamhouse but the workmanship was so shoddy. She said all of her neighbors had complaints too. I would not buy a house that was built by Toll Brothers.

Old 06-21-2009, 01:26 AM

199 posts, read 902,297 times
Bought a Toll home in Michigan. The quality of the materials and the workmanship was not at all high end. My development was new at the time of purchase. Although the windows were by Anderson, the window screens are generic and some of my neighbor's screens have fallen out.

I have had repeated cracks in my kitchen tile grout and according to experts, grout should not crack. We had horrible cracks after two years. Our laundry tub was not anchored into studs and actually fell off the wall when filled with water. Had we not been watching, they would have left off the step up to the master bath tub. They put the wrong carpet in one room. The paint job and material quality was poor.

I loved the design and was sucked in by the model home and the design center, but probably would not buy another Toll new construction.

Old 03-10-2010, 02:44 PM

1 posts, read 3,305 times
Default Buying Toll Brothers home in Northern Virginia

We built a Toll home in Loudoun County 5 years ago and continue to be extremely happy with the quality of the construction, the way Toll maintains their communities and the great service we have received from the warranty department. This is the second Toll community we have lived in and I would definitely build another Toll home.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia