U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-11-2016, 10:19 AM

10 posts, read 7,901 times

Advertisements

Looks like a move to VA for work in Dahlgren is on the table. Hubby and I are looking at homes in King George. I am having a hard time finding updated info about the area on this forum.

We are currently living in southern CA and have been wanting to move east for a long time, so this prospect is one we are excited about.

Can anyone point me in a good direction to find info or give advice on this area. Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-11-2016, 12:22 PM

10,596 posts, read 12,088,527 times
I don't know much about King George but many people who work at Dahlgren live in Fredericksburg, VA and do the 28 miles commute (that I hear is rather pleasant--not sure though). That's for people who want to be living near shopping and other amenities.

Old 08-11-2016, 01:05 PM

2,282 posts, read 5,571,446 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bnb072002 View Post
Looks like a move to VA for work in Dahlgren is on the table. Hubby and I are looking at homes in King George. I am having a hard time finding updated info about the area on this forum.

We are currently living in southern CA and have been wanting to move east for a long time, so this prospect is one we are excited about.

Can anyone point me in a good direction to find info or give advice on this area. Thanks!
Its similar to Alpine or Viejas because its more small and rural than suburban/exurban.

Its more Tidewater Culture (see Wikipedia) than The gofast Northern Virginia culture

its quiet with cute main streets here and there

-Leighland fron La Mesa

Old 08-11-2016, 01:08 PM

33,834 posts, read 41,902,030 times
A fair number of Dahlgren workers also live in SoMD. The downside is crossing the very miserable Harry Nice bridge in addition to higher cost of living.

Old 08-11-2016, 01:42 PM

45 posts, read 62,953 times
A good friend of mine lives in King George. He and his family seem to really like it -- he grew up in rural Indiana, and it reminds him a lot of home. That being said, I gather there isn't much to King George. For example, I think they do most of their shopping in Fredericksburg, and I think we've never actually joined them for dinner at a restaurant in King George -- we've always done that in Fredericksburg, too. That seems to be about a 25 minute trip down Kings Highway, which isn't so bad. I can certainly see the appeal of the area.

Old 08-11-2016, 02:49 PM

Thank you for your replies. These are great insight.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChristineVA View Post
I don't know much about King George but many people who work at Dahlgren live in Fredericksburg, VA and do the 28 miles commute (that I hear is rather pleasant--not sure though). That's for people who want to be living near shopping and other amenities.
We checked out Fredericksburg too...and it is not out of consideration. I know we'd do runs there for shopping and entertainment.

Quote:
Originally Posted by leighland View Post
Its similar to Alpine or Viejas because its more small and rural than suburban/exurban.

Its more Tidewater Culture (see Wikipedia) than The gofast Northern Virginia culture

its quiet with cute main streets here and there

-Leighland fron La Mesa
Hi! I grew up in La Mesa! We live close to Alpine now...and love the open space. Just too much of a commute to downtown (where we both work) and I am trying to avoid that problem in VA.

Quote:
Originally Posted by North Beach Person View Post
A fair number of Dahlgren workers also live in SoMD. The downside is crossing the very miserable Harry Nice bridge in addition to higher cost of living.
Yeah, definitely want to avoid that one...and higher taxes, I've heard too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wtdoor View Post
A good friend of mine lives in King George. He and his family seem to really like it -- he grew up in rural Indiana, and it reminds him a lot of home. That being said, I gather there isn't much to King George. For example, I think they do most of their shopping in Fredericksburg, and I think we've never actually joined them for dinner at a restaurant in King George -- we've always done that in Fredericksburg, too. That seems to be about a 25 minute trip down Kings Highway, which isn't so bad. I can certainly see the appeal of the area.
I like what I see of the area but want to find out from folks who live there, which this helps address. We drive 25 minutes to almost everywhere here....so that is not a big deal.

Old 08-11-2016, 07:11 PM

2,282 posts, read 5,571,446 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bnb072002 View Post

Hi! I grew up in La Mesa! We live close to Alpine now...and love the open space. Just too much of a commute to downtown (where we both work) and I am trying to avoid that problem in VA.

Are you a Hiller? Hee Hee

Sounds like you will moving to a quiet peaceful spot-Perfect!

Its very very green here- lots of thick tree canopy and vines sprouting everywhere-very lush

Plus the schools are SO MUCH Better!

Welcome!

Old 08-11-2016, 10:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by leighland View Post
Are you a Hiller? Hee Hee

Sounds like you will moving to a quiet peaceful spot-Perfect!

Its very very green here- lots of thick tree canopy and vines sprouting everywhere-very lush

Plus the schools are SO MUCH Better!

Welcome!

Nope, a Highlander! LOL! Did you go to HS in La Mesa too?

We've been to VA before to visit (my youngest son was stationed in VA Beach) and we came out for a week. We drove to up to Bristow to visit friends who live there, while we were out....I LOVE all the green! Hubby has traveled to Dahlgren many times with work, so now the decision to move.

Old 08-12-2016, 04:48 AM

519 posts, read 698,331 times
We were stationed at Dahlgren in the mid 90s. Our kids were very young so weren't worried about schools (not sure if you have kids but they aren't great in KG county). We lived in the Presidential Lakes subdivision in King George (about 20 minutes from Dahlgren). It was and still is a really lovely subdivision -- very wooded, big lots, two lakes. Back then it meant we had to drive into Dahlgren or into Fredericksburg for groceries but since then they've built a Food Lion in King George. I believe Dahlgren now has a Walmart as well. It is definitely rural!

Old 08-12-2016, 07:49 AM

45 posts, read 62,953 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vectorhead View Post
We were stationed at Dahlgren in the mid 90s. Our kids were very young so weren't worried about schools (not sure if you have kids but they aren't great in KG county). We lived in the Presidential Lakes subdivision in King George (about 20 minutes from Dahlgren). It was and still is a really lovely subdivision -- very wooded, big lots, two lakes. Back then it meant we had to drive into Dahlgren or into Fredericksburg for groceries but since then they've built a Food Lion in King George. I believe Dahlgren now has a Walmart as well. It is definitely rural!
That's interesting -- my friend lives in Presidential Lakes, and works at Dahlgren. He loves that commute. There is a Food Lion in King George that they use when they have to, but there's a Wegmans in Fredericksburg where they do most of their grocery shopping. It is true that they don't necessarily love the school system -- but it seems like the kids still have plenty of activities to participate in; we've been down that way to watch their dance recitals, football games, and baseball games ...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or