U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-16-2016, 08:27 AM

230 posts, read 186,464 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by spencgr View Post
I don't want to use alternate routes, just to get stuck behind a bus that can cause a 20 minute delay.
I apologies if this comes across as snarky, but what do you mean by 'alternate' routes? Schools plan their buses to avoid commuter routes as much as possible. Perhaps you should try taking those. The most direct route from Loudoun is either 50 to 66 or 7/the Tollway.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-16-2016, 09:55 AM

7,926 posts, read 9,639,531 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blindside View Post
I apologies if this comes across as snarky, but what do you mean by 'alternate' routes? Schools plan their buses to avoid commuter routes as much as possible. Perhaps you should try taking those. The most direct route from Loudoun is either 50 to 66 or 7/the Tollway.

To avoid all of the busses, perhaps I should. But as long as the other ways are legal roads I can travel on, I will continue to do so.

Old 08-16-2016, 01:27 PM

4,711 posts, read 10,861,826 times
Quote:
...just to get stuck behind a bus that can cause a 20 minute delay...
I can't imagine a school bus holding anybody up for anywhere near 20 minutes! Most of our bus routes don't take much more than 20 minutes from start to finish.

While there are asses in every line of work, most all of the drivers I know do everything possible to not hold up traffic. The main reason is the longer you hold them up, the madder they get, and the more likely they'll hurt somebody. There are drivers out there that are absolutely INSANE. You just wouldn't believe the stunts I've seen. One day, a guy passed about 8 cars (double solid yellow line, on a curve!) and then ran my lights at about 50-60 mph (in a 35 zone). There is a God though....a couple miles up the road, this idiot ran off into the woods and overturned. He was VERY late for work that day! LOL

I drive in Clifton, so there are house stops where you have to hold people up (average 30 seconds or less), but there are many corner stops as well. Most have cut-ins for right turns onto side streets which we are required to pull into to load/unload students. I pick the kids up and then turn off the lights and sit there until all waiting cars have gone by. Lots of them honk and wave as they go by!

Old 08-16-2016, 05:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by car54 View Post
I can't imagine a school bus holding anybody up for anywhere near 20 minutes! Most of our bus routes don't take much more than 20 minutes from start to finish.

While there are asses in every line of work, most all of the drivers I know do everything possible to not hold up traffic. The main reason is the longer you hold them up, the madder they get, and the more likely they'll hurt somebody. There are drivers out there that are absolutely INSANE. You just wouldn't believe the stunts I've seen. One day, a guy passed about 8 cars (double solid yellow line, on a curve!) and then ran my lights at about 50-60 mph (in a 35 zone). There is a God though....a couple miles up the road, this idiot ran off into the woods and overturned. He was VERY late for work that day! LOL

I drive in Clifton, so there are house stops where you have to hold people up (average 30 seconds or less), but there are many corner stops as well. Most have cut-ins for right turns onto side streets which we are required to pull into to load/unload students. I pick the kids up and then turn off the lights and sit there until all waiting cars have gone by. Lots of them honk and wave as they go by!
You sound like a very thoughtful bus driver, and I assure you I am not one of the idiots. While annoyed at being stopped, I always slow and stop at the first sign of yellow lights, leave plenty of room, and it would never occur to me to pass a bus with its lights on. I don't speed through neighborhoods and don't use roads designated "No Through Traffic".

But, I have been held up close to 20 minutes on a rural Loudoun road that is almost 2 miles long. This route happens to have approximately 15 separate house stops; some are only 20 yards from the last one. And I am glad that your house stops only last 30 seconds, but these don't. The children aren't waiting outside for the bus. They are waiting in cars at the end of the driveway. Yet, they won't even crack the door to the car until the bus comes to a complete stop. Then they have to get out of the car, run around to hug the parent, head to the school bus and be fully seated before moving the 20 yards ahead to the next stop - where I can see those kids aren't our of the car yet, either. God forbid someone forgot their lunch box or the parent's car hasn't arrived (yet).

This may be this driver's only street on the route, or they have longer routes in Western Loudoun; I don't know. But I assure you, the delay can be 20 minutes.

Last edited by spencgr; 08-16-2016 at 07:14 PM..

Old 09-01-2016, 02:59 PM

2,136 posts, read 4,634,865 times
Loudoun screwed up lots of routes in ParentVue and had to make a lot of last-minute changes (they are short almost 100 bus drivers; they had to add second runs to many routes), so they gave up and posted them online: Transportation / About Us (use drop-down menu on left)

Old 09-01-2016, 06:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cdmurphy View Post
Loudoun screwed up lots of routes in ParentVue and had to make a lot of last-minute changes (they are short almost 100 bus drivers; they had to add second runs to many routes), so they gave up and posted them online: Transportation / About Us (use drop-down menu on left)
Thank you!

I stopped for a bus today (in DC) where the driver waited four minutes, then got out of the bus, walked up to the apartment building, rang the doorbell, waited another two minutes, and then walked the child back to the bus.

Nine minute delay for one child.

Old 09-02-2016, 05:14 AM

1,825 posts, read 2,584,125 times
Quote:
Thank you!

I stopped for a bus today (in DC) where the driver waited four minutes, then got out of the bus, walked up to the apartment building, rang the doorbell, waited another two minutes, and then walked the child back to the bus.

That nine minute delay, plus the drivers extra to go to the door and get the child, probably meant that child was in school for the day instead of sitting home. That child, depending on age, may have been getting him/herself up and doing it on their own. We never know what's happening behind the doors of homes. Yes, nine minutes can add up, but for that child, I'm glad the bus driver got him/her on the bus to school.

Old 09-07-2016, 07:32 PM

2,282 posts, read 5,570,810 times
So spence, I think I now know why you are getting very very stuck behind school buses.My elementary kid is taking an fcps bus for the first time here in Herndonia. The school bus is the normal size but it has only one stop- our stop. I kid you not, almost 40 kids get on the bus here and then it drives off straight to school. This bus includes SACC kids (Pre-K and K) so there are 5 year olds getting on the school bus. The driver makes them line up, the babies first and then the 6th graders last. Everyone is orderly but it takes 20 mins to load the bus to go straight to school.So i solved the mysterious 20 min bus stop for you.
Hope your commute improves-leigh

Old 09-07-2016, 07:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by leighland View Post
So spence, I think I now know why you are getting very very stuck behind school buses.My elementary kid is taking an fcps bus for the first time here in Herndonia. The school bus is the normal size but it has only one stop- our stop. I kid you not, almost 40 kids get on the bus here and then it drives off straight to school. This bus includes SACC kids (Pre-K and K) so there are 5 year olds getting on the school bus. The driver makes them line up, the babies first and then the 6th graders last. Everyone is orderly but it takes 20 mins to load the bus to go straight to school.So i solved the mysterious 20 min bus stop for you.
Hope your commute improves-leigh
yup...also been subjected to the "neighborhood" stop. Why is it that every parent must also go to the neighborhood bus stop these days? I rode the bus to school since age 7 and would have been appalled if a parent showed up. In super safe Loudoun neighborhoods, why not trust you kids to walk to the corner?

Old 09-07-2016, 08:31 PM

4,711 posts, read 10,861,826 times
Quote:
Thank you!

Must have been a special needs kid...DC does not provide general ed transportation, only special ed. With special ed you do what you have to do...like send the attendant to the door, especially drop offs where the kid must be met by a parent or guardian (which is most of them). Otherwise you have to take them back to school.

However, I wouldn't activate the warning lights (only the hazards) until the kid is about to board.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or