Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-14-2016, 06:16 PM

77 posts, read 201,576 times

Advertisements

What % of residential home sales in this area have the buying agent receiving less than 3%? Is 2.5% to the buying agent seen more and more often versus the full 3%?

Would you have any special concerns setting it at 2.5% for a basic TH sale at around a price of $300k?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-14-2016, 06:40 PM

1,304 posts, read 2,426,603 times
Many buyer's agents collect the standard cartel fee of 3%, but then refund back .5-1% to the buyer as an incentive for working with them (same for the sellers). So they are receiving less than 3% net, but the contract was still 3%.

Your house isn't going to get shown first at 2.5%, but you won't have any issues selling it otherwise. That's a pretty cheap townhouse for the area though.

Old 08-15-2016, 07:26 PM

2,765 posts, read 8,329,220 times
Yea and that is a very good thing to remember when you list, because IMO buyers agent's will never show a home to a client they cannot make money on. Ask your agent to list it at 3.5% or higher to lure the willing, and agree for a bigger kickback.

Old 08-16-2016, 04:39 PM

232 posts, read 361,657 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VRE332 View Post
Yea and that is a very good thing to remember when you list, because IMO buyers agent's will never show a home to a client they cannot make money on. Ask your agent to list it at 3.5% or higher to lure the willing, and agree for a bigger kickback.
Agree with this. My first home sale was in a desirable neighborhood but I had already closed on my new one when I listed the current. So for me I wanted to make sure that I had the most attention possible. We offered an additional 1%. I was under contract within days. Potentially may have anyway, but it was the most important to me to not have two mortgages.

Old 08-16-2016, 05:11 PM

9,879 posts, read 14,128,518 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by leavingwash View Post
Agree with this. My first home sale was in a desirable neighborhood but I had already closed on my new one when I listed the current. So for me I wanted to make sure that I had the most attention possible. We offered an additional 1%. I was under contract within days. Potentially may have anyway, but it was the most important to me to not have two mortgages.
1% of my home equals 2 mortgage payments. Personally, I'd wait before offerimg the extra.

Old 08-17-2016, 08:31 PM

232 posts, read 361,657 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by spencgr View Post
1% of my home equals 2 mortgage payments. Personally, I'd wait before offerimg the extra.
As I stated, for me it was a decision that the 1% was worth getting my home under contract quicker without the extra stress of a potential double mortgage, the fact that some insurance companies will not insure if place if vacant, the fact that I would (in my opinion) need to go back each night and get all lights turned off, then go back in the morning to turn lights back on for potential showings (my agent recommendation that lights always be on and not wait for a buyer's agent to arrive to do that). Didn't say it was worth it for everyone.

Aside from that, the point was simply confirming the previous statement that the additional commission generated more showings. My home was under contract within days, another one (same floor plan, same assoc and similar condition) listed a couple of days before mine and sat on the market for several weeks.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia