U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-17-2016, 07:20 AM

4 posts, read 7,714 times

Advertisements

Hello All,

My family and I are moving to the DC area, I will be working in the Dulles area and my wife most likely will be working closer to DC. I was wondering about which cities to look at, we have twins that will be starting PK soon. We have around a 500k-550k budget, we would like a area that has good schools, under an 1hr commute for either of us. we would like a single family house.

any suggestions would be great.

thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-17-2016, 07:36 AM

947 posts, read 673,621 times
City of Fairfax
Chantilly
Fairfax near Chantilly (22033)
Reston maybe

Of course it depends on the size of house but there are older homes in these areas that fit your budget and commute requirements.

Old 08-17-2016, 09:11 AM

13,103 posts, read 19,941,349 times
Reston sounds good. Fairfax City not as good, but still good. Commuting to both Dulles and DC from Reston can be reasonable.

Old 08-17-2016, 01:39 PM

2,005 posts, read 3,539,071 times
Reston would be a great place for your family. $500 - $550K is low for single family homes in Reston. There are plenty of townhouses in Reston at this price point.

Old 08-17-2016, 02:02 PM

10,606 posts, read 12,138,982 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dkf747 View Post
Reston sounds good. Fairfax City not as good, but still good. Commuting to both Dulles and DC from Reston can be reasonable.
I ask in all sincerity if this is true. My coworker just "ran" out of Reston because her DC commute from there was bad (and that was arriving early). Her husband worked in the Dulles area and it was fine for him, but not great at all for DC. They moved to Annandale and it seems to be a great compromise for both.

Old 08-17-2016, 02:14 PM

519 posts, read 702,374 times
Your money would go a little further in West Springfield/Burke and your commute into DC would be a little better. Your commute to Dulles would still be generally under an hour (I commute from West Springfield to very close to Dulles and my drive is 35 minutes if I leave very early, and more like 45-50 minutes at rush hour. The schools are outstanding and $550K is not completely unreasonable for a SFH.

Old 08-17-2016, 03:28 PM

1,703 posts, read 1,366,118 times
Agreed with the West Springfield, Burke and Annadale recommendations.

Chantilly (yikes) would not be pretty. Reston wouldn't be much better (or it would be better on the days metro decides to actually work). West Springfield is a good middle ground, you're close to 95 which is easy access to DC and it's a decent (not perfect) commute to Dulles.

Last edited by NOVA_guy; 08-17-2016 at 03:44 PM..

Old 08-18-2016, 11:00 AM

13,103 posts, read 19,941,349 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChristineVA View Post
I ask in all sincerity if this is true. My coworker just "ran" out of Reston because her DC commute from there was bad (and that was arriving early). Her husband worked in the Dulles area and it was fine for him, but not great at all for DC. They moved to Annandale and it seems to be a great compromise for both.
Well, I guess opinions vary. I used to commute to DC from Gaithersburg, and now sometimes from Ashburn. To me, it would be awesome to start in Reston versus either of those locations. There is a Metro Station in Reston which makes it pretty easy to commute to DC. I guess the driving commute sucks because you have to use the GW Parkway, the Clara Barton Parkway/Canal rd, 50, or some back roads to get to DC if you're driving solo. If you car pool or use 66 before it becomes HOV only, it might not be so bad.

Old 08-18-2016, 11:05 AM

10,606 posts, read 12,138,982 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dkf747 View Post
Well, I guess opinions vary. I used to commute to DC from Gaithersburg, and now sometimes from Ashburn. To me, it would be awesome to start in Reston versus either of those locations. There is a Metro Station in Reston which makes it pretty easy to commute to DC. I guess the driving commute sucks because you have to use the GW Parkway, the Clara Barton Parkway/Canal rd, 50, or some back roads to get to DC if you're driving solo. If you car pool or use 66 before it becomes HOV only, it might not be so bad.
Yes, she was driving solo and it was a tough commute for her. That was with a 6:30AM arrival in DC, but I think the worst commute was the one home. She talked about her expenses for the toll road so not sure where that comes into play but I know she was paying at some point to lessen her time.

She's been in Annandale for 6 months now and is MUCH happier.

Old 08-18-2016, 01:20 PM

718 posts, read 729,097 times
City of Fairfax
Chantilly
Fairfax near Chantilly (22033)
Reston maybe

I agree with this. Although i love Burke, the commute to Dulles will be long. Franklin Farm in Chantilly/Herndon is a beatiful neighborhood that falls into great schools if you stay longer. Penderbrook and Greenbriair in Fairfax off 50, Cabels Mill in Centreville just north of 29 and Stringfellow is a great neighborhood too. Im sure you can find homes in your range or just slightly over. Those would be my immediate suggestions. Oak Hill is a forgotton area in that same Fairfax/Chantilly/Oakton/S.Reston split where there are some nice homes in youre range too
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or