U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-18-2016, 07:30 PM

188 posts, read 115,965 times

Advertisements

should wmata run a bus line or two from Springfield to Lorton station and/or Woodbridge/ Potomac Mills? PRTC buses are a joke.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-18-2016, 07:51 PM

1,077 posts, read 1,436,004 times
Fairfax Connector already runs several lines between Springfield and the Lorton VRE. From a quick look at their map, looks like routes 371, 372, and 373. I take a Fairfax Connector bus every day to the Pentagon and I've also used route 333 which services the Franconia-Springfield Metro and the Saratoga Park and Ride just north of Lorton Station, and I've found the service to be pretty reliable.

Old 08-18-2016, 08:19 PM

2,770 posts, read 2,704,769 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris.A View Post
should wmata run a bus line or two from Springfield to Lorton station and/or Woodbridge/ Potomac Mills? PRTC buses are a joke.
No because WMATA only serves jurisdictions that pay into it. Prince William County doesn't pay into it which is why there are no WMATA buses.

Omniride sucks but still beats Stafford County's non-existent bus service.

Old 08-18-2016, 09:14 PM

1,706 posts, read 1,369,087 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gomason View Post
No because WMATA only serves jurisdictions that pay into it. Prince William County doesn't pay into it which is why there are no WMATA buses.

Omniride sucks but still beats Stafford County's non-existent bus service.
At one point Stafford had (I think it still runs?) the Fred bus which was a complete joke.

Old 08-18-2016, 10:04 PM

4,521 posts, read 5,237,700 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris.A View Post
During rush hours to and from Springfield and Lorton/Woodbridge, the VRE itself is an option. One zone difference would be less than the bus fare and more dependable. There are some that jump off at Springfield to get on the blue line and reverse in the afternoon. If you live in Stafford and work in Rosslyn, that would be a good option.

Old 08-19-2016, 04:16 AM

10,606 posts, read 12,146,850 times
Just curious: why is the PRTC a "joke?"

I live in Woodbridge but have never used them so I ask this with real curiosity. I know plenty of people who use PRTC and I've not heard them say too much about them.

Old 08-19-2016, 05:31 AM

The headways are trash, the buses are always late and it ends too early. I'm talking mostly about Omnilink, but some Omniride lines are bad too. I wish PRTC had more weekend service. Like have the Montclair line run on weekends as well as the Tysons Corner line. Lake Ridge too and better service to Springfield.

Old 08-19-2016, 05:32 AM

It is very true that Fairfax connector has pretty good service. Hell, it's even better then many of the northern va Metrobus routes.

Old 08-19-2016, 08:18 AM

734 posts, read 1,734,810 times
Part of the problem with PRTC is funding. They had to reduce service significantly this summer due to a gas tax related fund running dry. I will credit PRTC for acknowledging this issue a long time ago. I think it was in 2012 that I first noticed them raising an alarm about the draw-down on this fund and the need for local/state funds and/or legislation that stabilized the source. I, too, wish their service was more frequent/later, but they have to live within their means.

Also, they have improved in some areas, too. Before a few years ago, they had zero Metro Direct service up to Springfield on the weekends.

I don't take PRTC as much as I used to, and I hate their new box-style commuter buses with the stiff, short-backed seats, but overall, they do a pretty good job with limited means.

Old 08-19-2016, 08:35 AM

1,706 posts, read 1,369,087 times
Speak of transportation, according to a recent video Potomac Local put up with Corey Stewart, looks like PWC's efforts to bring Metro to the eastern side of the county are pretty much dead.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or