Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-07-2016, 09:55 PM

394 posts, read 435,261 times

Advertisements

Yea 112.5% sarcasm bro

This is actually a well known (former) NFL player posting on here for laughs bro
It was here or Vegas right?

Yea i don't think you're getting it
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-07-2016, 10:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TulipGrl View Post
So, if all sarcasm does that imply you're 42, drive a used, oops "pre-owned" beemer, make in the bottom 75% of Dallas incomes, get two very different metropolitan areas routinely confused, can't seem to pick up the distinctions between Myrtle Beach, Charlottesville and Williamsburg and think Uptown is swank. Please, do move here. Some of us need comic relief.
I see what you did there...derp

Williamsburg was in homage to W&M, Charlottesville to UVA

The beaches I will have to get right, but I had just heard of Myrtle Beach from a friend and i've never actually been to any of the East Coast beaches(yet) obviously

You forgot the part where I'm obese and have no degree... My only other question is: would you like fries with that?

Old 09-07-2016, 10:55 PM

3,754 posts, read 4,240,557 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Man74 View Post
You forgot the part where I'm obese and have no degree... My only other question is: would you like fries with that?
Sounds about right.

The only people who say they are... oh how did you put it...

Quote:
Few things about me:
I stay very fit and active, have ZERO trouble meeting people, have VERY VERY good luck with the ladies(no cocky)
...VERY lucky with the ladies are people who have all of the sexual prowess of Barney Fife.

Old 09-07-2016, 10:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katana49 View Post
Sounds about right.

The only people who say they are... oh how did you put it...

...VERY lucky with the ladies are people who have all of the sexual prowess of Barney Fife.
this thread has been good for laughs

Click image for larger version

Name:	369-pink-polo-collar-cool-story-bro-image.png
Views:	61
Size:	202.8 KB
ID:	174809

Old 09-08-2016, 12:31 AM

Forgot to mention my other large financial asset.. My trust fund (obviously)

Old 09-08-2016, 07:41 AM

3,754 posts, read 4,240,557 times
Quote:
this thread has been good for laughs
Sure has.

The best part though is that you don't understand that we're not laughing WITH you, we're laughing AT you.

Actually, you probably do understand that. You've had 28 years to get used to it.

Old 09-08-2016, 12:59 PM

i think you took my jokes too seriously LMAO

Old 09-08-2016, 01:51 PM

2,189 posts, read 3,316,912 times
It's hard to tell what's a joke and whats not in this thread. At this point I think everyone should just assume it's 100% a joke and stop posting advice?

Old 09-08-2016, 02:07 PM

1,736 posts, read 2,893,272 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FCNova View Post
It's hard to tell what's a joke and whats not in this thread. At this point I think everyone should just assume it's 100% a joke and stop posting advice?
this

Old 09-10-2016, 10:42 AM

832 posts, read 1,417,793 times

https://smartasset.com/taxes/virginia-tax-calculator

You're going to pay about $35k in taxes. Leaving $70k take home. $5800 a month.

-1700 one bed, remotely comparable to what you're used to in terms of size/appearance (low end)
-150 car insurance my insurance went up moving here even tho I reduced coverage)
- 101.85 for parking (4.85/day parking at metro lot, 21 days a month)
- 241.50 for metro (end to end, 5.75 each way for #11.50 a day, 21 days a month)
- ? if you opt to also use the train that runs up the coast. I forget what it's called.
- 200 for food. Food will nearly double. For a single male, I'm only guessing at this amount.
- 20 for laundry or 60 for dry cleaning
- 120 gas, just around town. Traffic idling gobbles it up.
- 60 for internet, maybe more
- 50 for gas or electric. Maybe more depending where you live. I paid $40 a month water in an apartment complex regardless of whether or not I actually used water. And $120 a month in electric for heat or cooling. I was new here and my options were limited.
-100 cell phone

Leaves about $3050 a month to play with on paper, given the best odds. Since you have no debts or kids, it's doable for a fairly decent life.

Subtract car taxes, water, clothing, car maintenance (which will significantly rise due to either traffic idling or your commute into PA), and eating out. A $12 martini is not too bad. The cheapest drink I've ever seen that wasn't in a can, tap or straight liquor are Sunday morning Mimosa's for $6. The average is $10 in Fairfax. A good meal like in Texas, a steak, will cost $50-100, not $30.

In my experience, being here the last 5+ years, the folks raising a family on $105k inherited a home, never had student loans and/or have family/friends providing things for them still. Even if it's just super cheap day care. I work with a woman who is over 6 figures with her husband and 3 kids. They live in Woodbridge in rinky-dink home, spilling out at the seams. That was when homes were $300k out there. I know a handful of locals who are in your age range with kids/fiances and despite having family roots here, there's no home to take over so they're looking to relocate to Norfolk and Baltimore to be able to afford what their parents had at their age.

In your age range, people seem to like the City of Arlington and Alexandria because of their proximity to DC and availability of public transport. But it seems that the market in DC might be turning for the cheaper. For you, it's going to be about downsizing if you want the same amount of free cash you have in TX. Regardless of the car you drive, you had better get used to having just one. One bedroom. One closet. One. One. One. And not because you can't afford more. But because it's too much of a PITA to have anything you don't need here.

I should be surprised at the hostility you've received on this forum. But I'm not. There are some friendly forums, like the car forum. But some forums on here can be quite pretentious and folks are possessive of their posting stats. Ce la vie. It's life on the net.

As far as not talking about your education or income... I would beg to differ. But I'm a civil servant. One guy, the first time I met him, his first words to me were, "You got the job that I wanted and I already HAD the experience!" And that was him being "friendly". When I meet new people here, that is the first thing we talk about. Where we work, our grade (how much we make), and whether or not there are openings. But also in my experience in this area, folks are too "well bred" to speak to you the way they do here, face to face. They hammer it into us that it might have a negative impact on our career because in the end, all industries get smaller the higher you go. Their true secret? Folks are really from Georgia or Louisiana or Ohio. They remain quit and when they must speak, they do it slowly and hide their accents to pass for the DC proper.

No one else seems to be giving you credit for hanging in this forum and addressing the hostile people here. But I will.

*golf clap*

You should relocate here for all the reasons already stated. When you're ready to settle down, I'm sure you won't have any problems finding someone who will settle with you. We have a number of Texans in the area and I have no doubt at least half of them are waiting for the right time or pay or person to go home with.

Or not.

You might find yourself liking it here and trying to make a go of it, despite the chaotic-expensive mess it first seems.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia