U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-01-2016, 11:06 PM

394 posts, read 288,397 times

Advertisements

Hello and thanks for reading this

So I am at a great point in life and making good money with my degree from a top tier private university in Dallas. I have worked 4+ years within a top well known government entity in downtown Dallas as an engineer.

I have recently been offered a position in the Fairfax area for around $105,000 which is slightly higher than what I would get in Dallas. Now this is a also a top corporation. For privacy reasons i won't post names.

So I would be making roughly ~10k more in VA... although I'm aware of the higher taxes in VA

Few things about me:
I stay very fit and active, have ZERO trouble meeting people, have VERY VERY good luck with the ladies(no cocky) and like to stay well read/traveled.
I am 28 and at the point in my life, and with the salary I have been offered, at the point where I would like to start a family and settle down by 30.... so I would like to enjoy myself and see/understand life a little more ~2 more years and maybe be settled down( i think that's fair)
I have always been a fan of the East Coast... and a lot of my former coworkers were east coast guys in VA, SC (so you could probably guess where my first job was now lol) but I am also a "Southern boy" at heart with conservative values, but i'm neither strong Republican or Democratic.
I am white and would potentially like to own a home within the next 2 years.

So my questions are:
1. What kind of living could i expect in VA for ~$105k?? Can I get a house?
2. What is the "scenery" like? beaches(i'm aware of Myrtle beach), lakes, rivers (lol)
3. I am a fan of BMW and would like to keep my current M series and so how are the driving conditions in Fairfax? I've heard roads are tighter in VA than TX but the drivers are better...(?) lol
4. What is the nightlife like?
5. Are the women attractive? Honest question lol
6. If not Fairfax, would Arlington or DC be reasonable and a decent commute? Any time estimates would be greatly appreciated

Thanks
Quick reply to this message

Old 09-02-2016, 05:33 AM

7,925 posts, read 9,636,584 times
Have you checked cost of living calculators? You would need to make over $150k in Fairfax to match $100k in Dallas. Essentially, you'd be taking a major pay cut.

So, if you truly want to get to the East Coast (perhaps your "no cocky" head swelled too much to fit in the 10-gallon hat?), I would suggest less expensive areas.

Old 09-02-2016, 05:43 AM

1,825 posts, read 2,583,607 times
Where in Fairfax? While it won't seem like a big county to big Texans it is crowded and a traffic nightmare. Rule of thumb is live as near to work as you can afford. Definitely look at a COL calculator. Also, spend time searching and reading the NoVa forum. There's a lot of good in this area, a lot to do, but come with eyes open. Also, from your post on the Virginia forum, NYC can be a very long, long day trip and anything above it is longer. Also read up on the traffic on the I-95 corridor.

Old 09-02-2016, 05:45 AM

1,686 posts, read 1,345,049 times
I'd probably stay where you are. Like spencergr said, in Fairfax, to live comfortably you would need to make much more than $105k and to match what you're making in Dallas. I wouldn't bother looking into DC/Arlington.

You could look into Prince William County which is somewhat cheaper but the schools are hit or miss and aren't as good as Fairfax as you said you would like to settle down eventually and own a home. Stafford County would work with $105k but your commute would be pretty long and tiresome.

Also, just a piece of advice, a large percentage of people here go to top universities and make six-figures so there's no need to constantly reference it, it doesn't impress people here much because it's sort of become part of the norm. Doing that, in the DC area, will only make you look pompous and make you standout.

Old 09-02-2016, 05:56 AM

945 posts, read 663,019 times
A few things.

Women hate being called "the ladies."
Women here are often gorgeous and wonderfully dressed. They also don't take **** from anyone and generally don't think of settling down until after 30. I don't know of a single friend who got married in his or her twenties. Women take their careers seriously as do most young men in the area.
This is generally not a place where young people go to settle down. Often, people will come to this area to get experience and move back to their hometown or state to settle down as costs are so high to live.
There is some car culture here, however roads, congestion at all hours, and high penalties for speeding leave a lot of lead-footed gear-heads frustrated.
Dallas (and Houston) drivers are some of the worst, scariest and most aggressive I've ever experienced so yes, drivers are better here. You will stick out like a bad apple if you drive like a typical Dallas driver.
Many young people reverse commute from Arlington so that they are closer to the action on nights and weekends. Some people split the difference and live in Merrifield. Most people don't commute from DC proper out.

You won't be making enough for a single family detached home. If you are looking for a change and don't care about a pay cut then go for it. Expect a different culture here. I was at a party the other day and was introduced to another Texas expat and knew he was from Dallas before he even opened his mouth. Point being- you will probably stick out.

There are exceptions to every generalization. I'm an exception to many things said above, but this is what I see in Fairfax area and larger metro region.

Old 09-02-2016, 06:26 AM

4,774 posts, read 2,924,486 times
You're better off in Texas. If you're making 95 k and are single in dallas, you are doing great. And your attitude emanates pure Dallas. Nobody cares about your "top tier private university" here. I would say dime a dozen, but there are many Ivy league grads here. Along with UVA, UNC, Michigan, etc. SMU isn't going to raise any eyebrows here unless it's in the "where is that?"

Last edited by Gaylord_Focker; 09-02-2016 at 06:42 AM..

Old 09-02-2016, 06:49 AM

4,774 posts, read 2,924,486 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ffxdata View Post
A few things.

. Expect a different culture here. I was at a party the other day and was introduced to another Texas expat and knew he was from Dallas before he even opened his mouth. Point being- you will probably stick out.

Is this a good or bad thing?

Old 09-02-2016, 07:11 AM

7,925 posts, read 9,636,584 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gaylord_Focker View Post
You're better off in Texas. If you're making 95 k and are single in dallas, you are doing great. And your attitude emanates pure Dallas. Nobody cares about your "top tier private university" here. I would say dime a dozen, but there are many Ivy league grads here. Along with UVA, UNC, Michigan, etc. SMU isn't going to raise any eyebrows here unless it's in the "where is that?"

Yeah, I agree with this, completely. I just checked US News and World Report and my alma mater is ranked over 20 places higher than SMU and I would never dream about describing it as "top tier".

Old 09-02-2016, 07:56 AM

945 posts, read 663,019 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gaylord_Focker View Post
Is this a good or bad thing?
Neither. Just different. Dallas people are their own breed. I think you're getting a taste of it in the OP. I bet your words on SMU just blew his mind.

Old 09-02-2016, 08:24 AM

9,635 posts, read 4,895,696 times
I've got news for you OP, everything about your post (including your username) positively REEKS of cocky.

For all the reasons stated above, I would agree that the move is not a good idea.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or