U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-22-2008, 04:08 PM

7 posts, read 10,844 times

Advertisements

Presently, I live in Pasadena, CA and work in downtown LA. I enjoy theatre and dancing, as well as gardening. Since I have become a grandmother, with my daughter's family in Haymarket, VA, I've placed my house for sale in Pasadena with the thought of moving there to be near them.

My problem centers on my age and the fact that I have a very good job here, in LA, and in three years, I will be at my retirement age. If I move now, I'd be looking for a job at age 62. As a legal assistant, I do have specific skills, but I'm concerned whether I would have difficulty finding a good a position in VA to pay for the new and less expensive (and larger home I'm contemplating buying) in VA.

I've followed the Northern Virginia housing market for over 5 years and certainly have seen the bargains available. I have a VA realtor and have visited the Bristow patio homes (over 55), the Lennar Lovettsville patio homes (over 55) and the Ashburn patio homes (over 55). I guess Bristow is my favorite, but Lovettsville has the best monthly payment. None of it makes any sense if I can't get a job, or find something with a much lower salary --- then my social security amount will be lower.

My daughter is sending me mixed signals about my moving. If I move to Lovettsville, she tells me that she won't be able to visit that often (whatever that means) and if I buy the house a few blocks away, she says that she's afraid that I will be too dependent on her, and if I move to Bristow, it's so conjested with traffic that her husband won't want to drive there from Haymarket.

At this point, I think it's wise to ride the 2 more months left on my contract with my realtor in LA and not move, not sell and stay here.

But then I wake up thinking that I'm missing out on some great housing opportunities in VA and maybe in 3 or 4 years the prices will be too high and unafordable.

Any thoughts? Any recommendations on Bristow/Dunbarton, Lovettsville, Ashburn?

Thanks for reading.

Young at Heart
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-22-2008, 04:20 PM

1,950 posts, read 5,304,227 times
Honey, it doesn't sound like your daughter is too excited about you coming. I would keep your job and wait until your retire before making any moves. You might be missing out on some good housing opportunities, but you might also be out of luck with a job. I would start thinking about exactly what YOU want. You may not be able to find a good paying job like the one you have now at 62. Please don't take that as an insult because that's not what I mean. Unless you can come here and line up an acceptable job first, I would not move. Don't forget the property taxes are going to be higher than you are probably paying and their is also the personal property tax for your car.

Old 02-22-2008, 04:46 PM

7 posts, read 10,844 times
Default CA Girl want to be VA Girl

Dear Tamitrail,

Thank you so much for your honest impression of my situation. It really doesn't seem like my daughter really wants me there when she makes her "comments" that I discribed earlier. Even though she bullied me into putting my house on the market by saying, "if you were serious about moving here, you'd put your house on the market", and then said she didn't want to hear about any more house hunting, unless I was serious. I placed my house for sale in November and, at this point, I'm happy that I've had no offers.

I was getting caught up with having a larger, newer home in VA. I live in a 1924 Spanish (one bedroom) but it has privacy and a large beautiful garden!

Thank you for your sincere and honest thoughts. Maybe this CA girl will remain here.

Old 02-22-2008, 05:49 PM

1,261 posts, read 5,044,629 times
Conjested traffic in Bristow? I can't help but laugh. That couldn't be further from the truth. I know exactly where Dunbarton in Braemar is. They could take Vint Hill Road to Sudley Manor and bypass ANY traffic.

Ashburn is a bit of a drive from Haymarket. Even further than Bristow. I'm not sure where Lovettsville is. Time to get out a map.

Why don't you consider moving after you have retired?

Old 02-22-2008, 06:11 PM

1,148 posts, read 3,363,007 times
Lovettsville is in northeast Loudoun County, about 20 minutes NW of Leesburg. I know which community you're talking about and I think Lovettsville will take a few more years to develop enough to even have a grocery store. But it is pretty there! I have no clue of the other areas you mentioned.

Having moved here from Nor Cal my first impression was "What, why would she want to leave Pasadena if she owns a house there??". But I'm completely biased, I DREAM of that small spanish style cottage/house with a big garden and lots of sun all year round for gardening (especially now in the winter). I would switch this NoVa living to that any day, LOL.

Could you wait until retirement? Whatever you decide - good luck!!

Old 02-22-2008, 06:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by youngatheart View Post
Dear Tamitrail,

Thank you so much for your honest impression of my situation. It really doesn't seem like my daughter really wants me there when she makes her "comments" that I discribed earlier. Even though she bullied me into putting my house on the market by saying, "if you were serious about moving here, you'd put your house on the market", and then said she didn't want to hear about any more house hunting, unless I was serious. I placed my house for sale in November and, at this point, I'm happy that I've had no offers.

I was getting caught up with having a larger, newer home in VA. I live in a 1924 Spanish (one bedroom) but it has privacy and a large beautiful garden!

Thank you for your sincere and honest thoughts. Maybe this CA girl will remain here.
I made some stupid typos when I was writing to you and I feel like my post looked dumb..but I recognize the difference between there and their and the other stuff, so sorry about that.

On another note, I have been asking my parents to move here to VA for years from NJ and there is always an excuse so I am in the same position as you on the flip side. My mother is 63 (both my parents do not work). Do you want to move to VA and be my mother and my kids' grandmother? LOL

Old 02-22-2008, 06:38 PM

PS: Seriously, stay where you are and live your life for you and enjoy your home and garden!!

Old 02-22-2008, 06:43 PM

15,400 posts, read 25,782,683 times
If you are selling a house in Pasadena and using the proceeds to finance a new house, you can certainly afford a similar house in VA.

But that should be the least of your concerns. You need to consult a financial advisor and you need to do a lot more thinking about the details of your work situation, your retirement situation, and your family situation before worrying about buying a new house.

Here are few things to think about:

It's very unlikely that a 62-year-old can move to a new state on a whim, and hope to find a job after making the move that has the same salary and retirement benefits of the job you quit.

You've already put the house on sale? Without having worked out major details such as what you will do for a job, or where you will move? Because of a remark made by your daughter? Really???? Selling a house is a big decision, not something to be done lightly. If your daughter's comment was so influential, why didn't you discuss the matter thoroughly with her? And as you've already alluded nobody needs to tell you that it's not a smart move to sell a house in this market. Why not wait for retirement and a better housing market--and waiting will give you some time to think things through.

If this move is really all about being with your daughter, have you asked her how long she intends to live here? Many people move here, but don't live in Virginia forever. This is a very transitional place. Moving gets more expensive and more difficult the older you get. Your daughter may want to move around to a few more places after this--do you?

Just food for thought...

Last edited by normie; 02-22-2008 at 06:56 PM..

Old 02-22-2008, 10:20 PM

7,288 posts, read 13,448,128 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by youngatheart View Post
Presently, I live in Pasadena, CA and work in downtown LA. I enjoy theatre and dancing, as well as gardening. Since I have become a grandmother, with my daughter's family in Haymarket, VA, I've placed my house for sale in Pasadena with the thought of moving there to be near them.

My problem centers on my age and the fact that I have a very good job here, in LA, and in three years, I will be at my retirement age. If I move now, I'd be looking for a job at age 62. As a legal assistant, I do have specific skills, but I'm concerned whether I would have difficulty finding a good a position in VA to pay for the new and less expensive (and larger home I'm contemplating buying) in VA.

I've followed the Northern Virginia housing market for over 5 years and certainly have seen the bargains available. I have a VA realtor and have visited the Bristow patio homes (over 55), the Lennar Lovettsville patio homes (over 55) and the Ashburn patio homes (over 55). I guess Bristow is my favorite, but Lovettsville has the best monthly payment. None of it makes any sense if I can't get a job, or find something with a much lower salary --- then my social security amount will be lower.

My daughter is sending me mixed signals about my moving. If I move to Lovettsville, she tells me that she won't be able to visit that often (whatever that means) and if I buy the house a few blocks away, she says that she's afraid that I will be too dependent on her, and if I move to Bristow, it's so conjested with traffic that her husband won't want to drive there from Haymarket.

At this point, I think it's wise to ride the 2 more months left on my contract with my realtor in LA and not move, not sell and stay here.

But then I wake up thinking that I'm missing out on some great housing opportunities in VA and maybe in 3 or 4 years the prices will be too high and unafordable.

Any thoughts? Any recommendations on Bristow/Dunbarton, Lovettsville, Ashburn?

Thanks for reading.

Young at Heart
My opinion: Three years and you can retire? Stay where you are. You're in your highest earning years, you already own a house, and you're in a down market for selling. Keep your job, save as much as you can in these years, and then move when you can live where you want, without worrying about finding a job, or living near work, or any of that business.

All signs that you have given, point to staying put.

Also, you're not "missing" anything now, that you won't find in the future. I wouldn't sell a property now, given the choice to wait for three years, because people are freaking out about the market and holding out for the boom they think (read: hope) is going to come back in a few months.

Old 02-23-2008, 06:36 AM

2,010 posts, read 2,701,818 times
If I were in your shoes (and I wouldn't mind that--I grew up in California), I would stay in Pasadena. You can enjoy your home there, work until you retire from your current job, and avoid the upheaval/stress/adjustment. Flying from LAX to Dulles for visits is far simpler than moving.

Your Pasadena home sounds lovely!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia