Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-23-2008, 09:19 AM

1 posts, read 3,410 times

Advertisements

Hello, About a month ago I was charge with reckless driving on I-495 - 77/50. However, I am an Illinois resident with an Illinois driver's license (I'm visiting my mom here in Virginia for a few weeks). Anyway, this is my first driving offense/ticket, and I need to go to court in March. I was doing 77/50 and know I am guilty (I ALWAYS drive at the speed limit now), but here is my question: I heard that if you take a driver improvement class before you're appointed to do so by the court, you can get a 5-point reduction. However, if I am an Illinois resident and take the VA driver improvement class, does that still count? I want to do everything I can to lower my charges (financial and otherwise). Does anyone know for sure what the rules are on that? Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-23-2008, 06:07 PM

82 posts, read 317,853 times
I would talk to a lawyer who possibly might get it reduced and who certainly could advise you better. 77 in a 50 is a lot over-so you might have to take what you get, however.

Old 02-23-2008, 07:36 PM

15,143 posts, read 27,776,049 times
IF you have an otherwise good driving record, I would just show up, be polite - that means alot. Husband had a high speed (therefore reckless) - they reduced it to a fine and he got no points. Don't waste the money on a lawyer. JMO

Old 02-24-2008, 04:22 PM

5 posts, read 25,173 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by spidersister1122 View Post
Hello, About a month ago I was charge with reckless driving on I-495 - 77/50. However, I am an Illinois resident with an Illinois driver's license (I'm visiting my mom here in Virginia for a few weeks). Anyway, this is my first driving offense/ticket, and I need to go to court in March. I was doing 77/50 and know I am guilty (I ALWAYS drive at the speed limit now), but here is my question: I heard that if you take a driver improvement class before you're appointed to do so by the court, you can get a 5-point reduction. However, if I am an Illinois resident and take the VA driver improvement class, does that still count? I want to do everything I can to lower my charges (financial and otherwise). Does anyone know for sure what the rules are on that? Thanks.
I think, you do the driver improvement course from the state that you are licensed to drive. The driving certificate will be mailed to the DMV to add +5 points to yoru driving record. So I would think that would be Illinois. You can do the online driver improvement course like safe2drive.com, etc. That one's about 40 bucks, 32 if you can find online coupons. That's if you want to do it, because I don't know that VA is going to be able to pull a copy of your Illinois driving record.

Where is the courthouse for your summons? District, Circuit? Which county?

...no offense to the person telling you just to show up and be polite...b/c her husband got it reduced...that's a gamble and it's not the norm in Northern VA.
Some judges will reduce it, and some are very strict, but Northern VA courts are notoriously strict on reckless by speeding charges. Your husband got lucky. I know another case where an out of state Delaware driver, had a decent record and hired an attorney in Fairfax court and they convicted him and gave him a 1000 fine. They've since repealed civil penalities, so you might be looking at $250 fine.

Personally, I was looking at "No Jail" and that was as far as the prosecution was willing to go, he was going to prosecute for reckless by speed, on a pace 80/55 on the beltway.. This was my first speeding ticket and I already had a +2 on my VA driving record, because VA gives +1 points for every year you have no speeding tickets, accidents for up to 5 years. With driver school I got +5. Prior to that my MD record had 00 points.

I was lucky the judge was giving people a chance to have it dismissed for driver's school, though it's not the norm for that court and that was a substitute judge. The one that is there is very hard and pro-prosecution. We got it dismissed b/c my attorney challenged the officer if his speedometer's calibration certificate was current and it had expired and it was an old vehicle. The prosecution had to drop my charge. That's how aggressive they are.

You might get it reduced to simple speeding because you're out of town, but realize the gamble you're taking is that you're convicted of a class 1 misdemeanor that will stay on your record, permanently. Though you are an out of state resident, so I would consult with an attorney over the phone for free and find out what state you should do driver improvement school, VA or Illinois.

Good luck.

Old 03-03-2008, 01:37 PM

414 posts, read 2,280,680 times
There's a 99% chance that the offense will not be recorded on your out of state driver's license. Unless NoVa has implemented policies to more aggressively ensure that violations are report to the DMV's of Non-Va license holders.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia