Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-20-2009, 08:53 AM

50 posts, read 202,044 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by VRE332 View Post
I've been riding the VRE for about 3 years, and it is super convenient. I still know a lot of people driving into DC and it is a shame. I even got my boss to pay for a monthly pass and give me a Metro allowance.

Any VRE Riders here? I ride the 332 in the morning from Broad Run (Manassas Line) . And maybe 327 or 333 on the way back depending on the day. You have to admit, VRE is the way to go in this traffic mess.
Good Morning all.

I rode the VRE for the first time today, fed up with elbowing my way onto orange line cars at rosslyn, jerky and slow trains in manual mode, etc.

As a new rider are there any tips you guys have or VRE specific etiquette, dos and donts? I inadvertantly boarded the quiet train because I just stood by the cluster forming at the Burke station this morning, which was very very quiet. Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-20-2009, 09:20 AM

2,765 posts, read 8,298,394 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by duckz View Post
Good Morning all.

I rode the VRE for the first time today, fed up with elbowing my way onto orange line cars at rosslyn, jerky and slow trains in manual mode, etc.

As a new rider are there any tips you guys have or VRE specific etiquette, dos and donts? I inadvertantly boarded the quiet train because I just stood by the cluster forming at the Burke station this morning, which was very very quiet. Thanks!
Yea the VRE has a bunch of etiquette slogans around the stations and on their website, and they also play them on the P.A system. The funniest etiquette is the one about smoking at the station.

The quiet cars attract some interesting charters. One time a fight broke out on the quiet car, train 327, and the cops had to board the train at Alexandria. Also people complain on the monthly forums about shuffling papers.

Old 07-20-2009, 09:56 AM

159 posts, read 373,106 times
Default Thnx fo the info

Thanks for the info VRE332, my husband is considering using that for commute from Gainesville to DC. So I believe the closest will be Broad Run (Manassas)?

Old 07-20-2009, 09:57 AM

33 posts, read 134,858 times
The "shuffling papers" comment is HILARIOUS! Though I haven't rode on the VRE since circa '01, I remember how infuriating it would be to have someone sitting next to me with a Washington Post open the paper WIIIIDE open with their freckled fist right in my cheekbone and not have a CLUE or care that they had totally invaded my required six inches of personal space.
So, LOL at that one.

Old 07-20-2009, 10:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dod236 View Post
Thanks for the info VRE332, my husband is considering using that for commute from Gainesville to DC. So I believe the closest will be Broad Run (Manassas)?
Yes, Broad Run is the station he needs to go to.

Old 07-20-2009, 10:27 AM

8,142 posts, read 13,198,297 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nova10 View Post
The "shuffling papers" comment is HILARIOUS! Though I haven't rode on the VRE since circa '01, I remember how infuriating it would be to have someone sitting next to me with a Washington Post open the paper WIIIIDE open with their freckled fist right in my cheekbone and not have a CLUE or care that they had totally invaded my required six inches of personal space.
So, LOL at that one.

LOL.. i do not ride the VRE but I ride its cousin.. MARC and cannot count how many "quiet riots" that have almost occurred in the quiet car.. People in the quiet car HATE noise.. any noise. "shuffling" papers.. loud ipods..the repeaters who cough loudly every five seconds and the list goes on and on.....Some of these folks get on in Perryville almost 90miles from DC and their commute begins early.. so they need their daily dose of "quiet".. and that assumes they dont drive to Perryville from Delaware or nearby PA. I have raised my cell phone to check voice mail and the mere motion of a cell phone moving towards ones head.. draws an observing and very measured stare....

BWI is on the Penn Line so you inevidably have someone get on that doesnt know the "rules"..either on a cell phone or chatting with a fellow passenger. They get on and within seconds you hear them apologizing or debating the intent of the quiet car.. since the posted sign says "no loud conversations". So you get occasional congressional style debate of; "I can talk just not loud"... passenger number two says "well I can hear you.. so you are too loud"...eventually a conductor is called in to referee the conflict and the offender usually moves on to another car..Another funny thing is when does the quiet car officially become the "un quiet car" as usually officially announced by the conductor???? Usually, when the car becomes over crowded and people begin to chat or complain about it being croweded or the train that broke down that forced them on to this train... Some obscure character will bellow from the interior of the car "this is the QUIET CAR" and another obscure character bellows.. "Well not anymore".. the volume of humanity between the two keeps them away from one another.. as if the two really would come to blows if they could get close to one another .........." Hey pal.... what's your stop.. we'll settle this on the platform...some kid is not going to see their dad tonight because he doesnt know how to keep his big mouth shut".....lol so much for civility.

Interesting world on commuter trains.

Last edited by Woodlands; 07-20-2009 at 11:17 AM..

Old 07-20-2009, 11:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Woodlands View Post
LOL.. i do not ride the VRE but I ride its cousin.. MARC and cannot count how many "quiet riots" that have almost occurred in the quiet car.. People in the quiet car HATE noise.. any noise. "shuffling" papers.. loud ipods..the repeaters who cough loudly every five seconds and the list goes on and on.....Some of these folks get on in Perryville almost 90miles from DC and their commute begins early.. so they need their daily dose of "quiet".. and that assumes they dont drive to Perryville from Delaware or nearby PA. I have raised my cell phone to check voice mail and the mere motion of a cell phone moving towards ones head.. draws an observing and very measured stare....

BWI is on the Penn Line so you inevidably have someone get on that doesnt know the "rules"..either on a cell phone or chatting with a fellow passenger. They get on and within seconds you hear them apologizing or debating the intent of the quiet car.. since the posted sign says "no loud conversations". So you get occasional congressional style debate of; "I can talk just not loud"... passenger number two says "well I can hear you.. so you are too loud"...eventually a conductor is called in to referee the conflict and the offender usually moves on to another car..Another funny thing is when does the quiet car officially become the "un quiet car" as usually officially announced by the conductor???? Usually, when the car becomes over crowded and people begin to chat or complain about it being croweded or the train that broke down that forced them on to this train... Some obscure character will bellow from the interior of the car "this is the QUIET CAR" and another obscure character bellows.. "Well not anymore".. the volume of humanity between the two keeps them away from one another.. as if the two really would come to blows if they could get close to one another .........." Hey pal.... what's your stop.. we'll settle this on the platform...some kid is not going to see their dad tonight because he doesnt know how to keep his big mouth shut".....lol so much for civility.

Interesting world on commuter trains.
Oh yea, commuting on the VRE or MARC definitely has its cast of characters. We have a few working professionals who get on the train drunk, but nothing beats the MARC reputation of "MARC Train 534 BarCar" . I heard they have Margarita mixers plugged into the 110v power, and get their booze from Union Station

Old 07-20-2009, 12:11 PM

428 posts, read 1,109,934 times
Question:

I've been thinking about VREing into DC to take the little dude to the zoo/museums/etc. We'd be going from Broad Run to Union Station, where we could hop on the Metro to get to our final destination.

The little dude is not quite two years old, and I'd be traveling with an easily collapsible stroller. We'd be taking one of the later morning trains.

This whole idea makes me unreasonably nervous, as I'm totally unfamiliar with the world of the VRE. Are people going to give me the side-eye big time if I show up with a baby and a stroller? Where in the car should I aim to sit? What do I do with the stroller? Anything else I should know (even if it's, "Don't do it!")?

Thanks!

Old 07-20-2009, 01:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by themommy View Post
Question:

I've been thinking about VREing into DC to take the little dude to the zoo/museums/etc. We'd be going from Broad Run to Union Station, where we could hop on the Metro to get to our final destination.

The little dude is not quite two years old, and I'd be traveling with an easily collapsible stroller. We'd be taking one of the later morning trains.

This whole idea makes me unreasonably nervous, as I'm totally unfamiliar with the world of the VRE. Are people going to give me the side-eye big time if I show up with a baby and a stroller? Where in the car should I aim to sit? What do I do with the stroller? Anything else I should know (even if it's, "Don't do it!")?

Thanks!
Don't be nervous..lots of people ride with babies and toddlers. The conductors are very friendly, and they will help you load your stuff into the train.

There's no preference where to sit for families, but you probably want to be in a car that has a bathroom. You will find the VRE is surprisingly family friendly. Most likely even fellow riders will help you board the train!

Believe me, you will have an enjoyable experience ..... minus the baby :c rying:

Old 07-20-2009, 01:40 PM

50 posts, read 202,044 times
Are there bathrooms on every car or just a few of them? Also are you allowed to walk between cars? Thanks
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia