Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-28-2008, 04:11 PM

449 posts, read 1,394,131 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by tamitrail View Post
The job would be in Council Bluffs.

Before I would purchase something in a new area I would scout the place out. Do you know anyone who lives out there?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-29-2008, 09:22 AM

1,949 posts, read 5,984,353 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 5stones View Post
same reasons you have for wanting to buy versus renting. 3 kids, a dog, a cat etc... (at least that what you said on why you wanted to buy.

I wasn't inferring ANYTHING... just trying to offer some advice from someone who just recently had a house on the market in NOVA.

AS for renting, I didn't mean rent a apt or anything. There are TONS of very nice SFH homes for rent in the NOVA area. 4 bedrooms etc... so saying your stuff wouldn't fir in a rental isn't correct.

I am just saying be wary... if you know you'll be there over 5 years you'll be fine.

As far as realtors go, not indending to OFFEND those who post here. BUT....... really find one by recommendations from friends or neighbors who have sold recently. During a buyer market some selling AGENTS tend to get very lazy. 3 years ago in the NOVA area houses were selling BEFORE the sign was put in hte yard. NOW 90 days is considered good. (we used the smae "GREAT realtor who sold us our house...we was great then BUT... he was the worst when it came to selling, he considered the advertising was just money out of his pocket and down hte drian because "NOTHING is moving". HE NEVER held 1 showing!)

Yes we want to buy not rent, that's the bottom line. Thanks for the advice about the realtors. But one more thing....what I said about furniture not fitting (and having to move it all twice) IS CORRECT. We have a big house and a TON of stuff....You can't say that unless you know the size of our house and the things we have. Paying rent for a size house to match what we need would be expensive and foolish for us.

Old 02-29-2008, 09:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by scimitar12 View Post
Before I would purchase something in a new area I would scout the place out. Do you know anyone who lives out there?

Nope, not a one. I have "spoken" to other moms via message boards and asking questions. They said they were happy there. That's as far as it goes. I think dh is leaning towards staying right here, so I'm not getting panicky yet. It is a joint decision for sure, but ultimately, he needs to decide if this is the career move he wants to make...and then we decide if we want to move or not.

Old 02-29-2008, 10:50 AM

847 posts, read 3,353,898 times
Quote:
Yes we want to buy not rent, that's the bottom line. Thanks for the advice about the realtors. But one more thing....what I said about furniture not fitting (and having to move it all twice) IS CORRECT. We have a big house and a TON of stuff....You can't say that unless you know the size of our house and the things we have. Paying rent for a size house to match what we need would be expensive and foolish for us.
You could always get rid of some of your stuff.

Old 02-29-2008, 04:10 PM

3,041 posts, read 11,888,220 times
well since you need such a big house many despirate NOVA homewoners will be happy to sell you thier mcmansion. The market is way flooded...

oh yea, you have to sell a BIG house in Winchester. GOOD LUCK, I am sure it's perfectly beautiful and will sell quickly.

I see you don't need or want my advice, have a wonderful day.

Old 02-29-2008, 04:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5stones View Post
well since you need such a big house many despirate NOVA homewoners will be happy to sell you thier mcmansion. The market is way flooded...

oh yea, you have to sell a BIG house in Winchester. GOOD LUCK, I am sure it's perfectly beautiful and will sell quickly.

I see you don't need or want my advice, have a wonderful day.
I thanked you for the advice you gave me that was useful. Some of the comments you made were based on you not knowing my situation. I merely tried to explain them to you so you would understand why they were not good for me. I obviously know my house will not sell quickly or I wouldn't have even posted this thread in the first place. Don't be insulted because I did not think your idea of renting was a good one for me...it's just won't work for me.

I clearly said in my first thread, I want to sell. Not rent. Have a wonderful evening.

Old 02-29-2008, 04:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vanyali View Post
You could always get rid of some of your stuff.
To buy a permanent house, yes. To rent, NO.

Old 03-01-2008, 10:03 AM

847 posts, read 3,353,898 times
Quote:
To buy a permanent house, yes. To rent, NO.
Sounds like it's costing you a lot of money to hold on to all this stuff, whether in rent or mortgage payments or storage. Do what you want, just understand that you have other options.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia