Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-26-2008, 03:07 PM

32 posts, read 72,642 times

Advertisements

My husband and I are moving to the area. We were originally looking in Centreville, but I have found much nicer townhouses for rent in Bristow. Is this because it is further away, or is it not a good area? My husband will be working in the McLean area, I know that is a much longer commute than Centreville, but he says he is okay with it. So I guess my question is, if it is nicer in Bristow, is it worth the commute? Also, what is the crime like in Bristow?
Thanks so much!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-26-2008, 05:12 PM

66 posts, read 246,941 times
I lived in Braemar in Bristow off Linton Hall Road. Moved in 2006.

I loved the community you can get a nice townhome there or a carriage home for in the 300 to 400k range. Braemar is emmaculately kept and the people generally are real nice. I'd take that over centerville but..

the not so good. If you're communiting from Bristow to McLean be prepared for a commute! I worked from home but the traffic leaving braemar would back up to the entrance of braemar getting to 28. That's about a mile. I know they built a shopping center and did some work on the road but getting out still has to be a bear! My wife left the house at 5am to beat the traffic. At 5am it took here 40-45 minutes to work. After 6 am sometimes it could take close to 2 hours. I'm assuming that has gotten better over the last 2 years with all the construction and i believe Wellington is now open through Manassas. So it might not be nearly as bad.

I tell you this so you'll check. We moved because of my wife's commute. Our family still lives in the NOVA area so we weren't thrilled at first. If she worked in Warrenton we'd probably would have stayed in Bristow and the Braemar community, may have gotten a bigger house.

I will also say there was your bad element in braemar. We had our bouts of vandalism and break ins. I wouldn't say any worse than other areas but enough to mention. Wouldn't leave my car unlocked or the door unlocked.

With all that I'd say give it a good look. You may even be better off in Haymarket or near the 29/66 interchange. The commute would be similar and may even be a little cheaper. We looked there before buying in Bristow, and yes we knew the commute would be bad!

good luck

Old 02-26-2008, 05:32 PM

32 posts, read 165,422 times
I live in Braemar. The commute has gotten EXTREMELY better. We are talking cutting at least 30 minutes off prior commute time due to the opening of the Sudley Manor Drive extension.

Braemar is a great community.

Old 02-26-2008, 08:09 PM

32 posts, read 72,642 times
Thank you so much! My mind is a bit more at ease.

Old 02-26-2008, 11:01 PM

66 posts, read 246,941 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dgtlsunshine View Post
I live in Braemar. The commute has gotten EXTREMELY better. We are talking cutting at least 30 minutes off prior commute time due to the opening of the Sudley Manor Drive extension.

Braemar is a great community.

that's good to hear! MAybe we'll move back!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia