Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-27-2016, 10:23 AM

8,826 posts, read 15,320,564 times

Advertisements

I don't really go to bars often, but we have been to the Philadelphia Tavern in Manassas a few times and liked it.

The Philadelphia Tavern
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-27-2016, 01:31 PM

5,162 posts, read 4,488,801 times
I am not sure why this would be hard to find?

But the question probably is what do you want to go to a bar for? To drink? To meet people? To just get out of the house?

And general area is not PII.

Falls Church has several, Clare and Don's Beach Shack, Mad Fox Brewing Company, Doghead Fish Ale house, Pistone's, JV's....

Then we have PJ Skidoos, Fast Eddie's, Grevey's, bars at restaurant's such as Great American Restaurant's, Probably a dozen places in Old Town like Rock It Grill, Cowboy Cafe's in several locations, pretty much all of the Irish bars....

You really would be better off being a little more specific.

Old 11-27-2016, 02:59 PM

2,825 posts, read 6,893,133 times
This thread is confusing. In my definition, a bar closes after midnite on the weekends and has less that 30% in food sales. In many cases, it also has an adjacent stage for late nite music.

DC definitely has bars. I'm guessing Old Town Alexandria has bars but Idk. Virginia has weird liquor laws. Independent cities like those in Hampton Roads have many bars everywhere but their city charter has diff rules than the Commonwealth

Virginia? very few- can't name one. Jimmies Old Town, like the Cheesecake Factory, Grevies and Sweetwater tavern, have a bar in the restaurant that serves all sorts of alcoholic drinks.But they function as restaurants and make most of their cash with foodsales.

Probably the most nite life hoppin' joint does not sell any liquor at all; [url=http://www.jamminjava.com/]Jammin Java[/url]

Old 11-27-2016, 05:50 PM

313 posts, read 551,800 times
lake ann brewery

Old 11-27-2016, 06:06 PM

9,879 posts, read 14,128,518 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by leighland View Post
This thread is confusing. In my definition, a bar closes after midnite on the weekends and has less that 30% in food sales.
Yes, I can see how it can be confusing. But, all must understand that, in Virginia, the law states that ALL establishments obtaining mixed-beverage licenses (serving beer, wine and liquor) must have food sales of at least 45% of their total sales.

So, by state laws, there cannot be a bar by your definition.

Old 11-27-2016, 07:18 PM

Quote:
Probably the most nite life hoppin' joint does not sell any liquor at all; Jammin Java
Clarendon has more hopping places. Mr. Days, Clarendon Ballroom, Whitlow's On Wilson to name three off the top of my head.

I am not sure of your confusion as I have been to bars, clubs, events all through the DMV and have no confusion on this. I used to attend quite a few all night events in DC back in the good old days before Anthony Williams when you could get away with those kinds of things.

Old 11-28-2016, 08:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by spencgr View Post
Yes, I can see how it can be confusing. But, all must understand that, in Virginia, the law states that ALL establishments obtaining mixed-beverage licenses (serving beer, wine and liquor) must have food sales of at least 45% of their total sales.

So, by state laws, there cannot be a bar by your definition.
Exactly!

But I've lived in many cities in many states and most of the country thinks of a bar as a bar, not a food establishment. And almost half of sales are food is not a traditional commonly understood bar. Thats Uncle Julios

Old 11-28-2016, 08:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Guard View Post

I am not sure of your confusion as I have been to bars, clubs, events all through the DMV and have no confusion on this.s.
930 was a bar back in the day. idk what its like now. 930 could never open in the Commonwealth due to the foodsales mandate

I would suggest you do a bar tour of the independent cities in the Commonwealth, Norfolk for example, and see what a real bar is like.

Old 11-29-2016, 06:29 AM

Quote:
930 was a bar back in the day. idk what its like now. 930 could never open in the Commonwealth due to the foodsales mandate

I would suggest you do a bar tour of the independent cities in the Commonwealth, Norfolk for example, and see what a real bar is like.
Does 9:30 club meet your "also any that have a little of a quieter sound volume footprint?" statement? And if people wish to get into a pointless war of semantics is the 9:30 Club a bar, club, music venue or something else? If you want a club the best places in this area will be downtown.

Dude, I have been to bars all over this country and some others to boot. I have been to club events long after legal bar close and into the next day, I have gotten up and gone to a club because one of my friends was playing the end of an event, I have been to club events on US Navy ships (Not DC), I used to go to Red when it was the only legal after hours place in DC. I have been on lists to get in and had VIP access. I have been to fetish nights and word of mouth only events.

But almost all of those were clubs and none would be what you or the other poster would consider a bar.

A lot has changed in DC in the last 20 or so years. IMHO the club scene is not as good as it was back then, but I am older so how can I judge? One good thing about DC though is it does have clubs and is not that far from NY and even Philly if you want to go to some of the bigger events.

And I have been to bars in Norfolk and they are pathetic compared to the selection and offerings in DC.

"I would suggest you do a bar tour of the independent cities in the Commonwealth, Norfolk for example, and see what a real bar is like."

Old 11-29-2016, 04:13 PM

Idk what clubs are like. I've never been to a club on purpose- Im old! But I'm from Chicago and our dive bars Leinies andOld Style on tap, have not changed in 80 years. Those are real bars! Ah memories of Innertown Pub. Freeflowin liquor, cigg vending machine 3 pooltables, darts and open till 4 on weekends! Those were the days! And no food!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia