U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-02-2008, 07:09 AM

2 posts, read 3,012 times

Advertisements

Have you looked at any of the old houses in Gar-Field Estates? It is a small community of maybe 100 or so older houses, nestled in among newer developments, and is situated between Rte 1 and I-95. There are three streets of modest, basic brick rambler 3-brdms from the 1950s and two-streets of houses from the 1960s. Originally, they all basically looked the same, but down through the decades each individual house has developed its own personality it seems. Big wooded yards. There ought to be a few fixer-uppers you could get there for 150,000, if not cheaper. It is a quiet area. Some renters, but also families and older people. In fact, some of the original & long-time owner-residents still there. My family, for example.

Dale City is just across 95. You can enter Gar-Field Estates at Rte 1 & Cardinal Drive by police station and county buildings, where there is a bus stop, or farther down Rte 1 at Crest Drive. VRE Rippon station is about 2 miles away, and the Woodbridge Station about 4-5 miles. Leesylvania Park and Potomac River at your feet. Lots of woods and creeks around to explore.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-02-2008, 06:43 PM

30 posts, read 73,295 times
I agree walkingnelle,
My husband and I first look online to find out the prices for homes, and the basic information. Second I talk to you nice people for an insiders pov. Last, we visit the towns and house we are intrested in.

Today we checked out Manassas Park and it seems safer the further west you go. However it is very cluttered and I don't like all the one-way streets. Reminds me of old town alexandria, the way the streets are. I don't think we will be buying a house in Manassas Park.

I think I am going to check out Triangle and Dumfrise next.

Old 03-02-2008, 06:46 PM

Carrol Ave,
Thank you so much for all your very helpful advice, I will talk it threw with my husband tonight, here is to more house hunting.

Old 03-02-2008, 08:08 PM

7,720 posts, read 18,488,232 times
Both communities are blue collar, hard working areas of the county. I recently made such a move from my mid-county "good zip code" to a townhouse community with a similar work ethic, that is multi-cultural and filled with 2 income couples, much like DC and MP.

What is sad....in the first month I was here, I had more neighbors looking out for me than I ever had in the entire 20 years in my last home.

I recently handled a purchase transaction for a couple in the "P-dale " area of Dale City, and the final purchase price was 200K w/ 10K help in closing. The home appraised well above contract price and was a split foyer - not a small home.

I agree w/ the prior poster that stated he thought values were headed down further - I think we will see round 2 hit us soon as other means of credit dry up. We were a nation that used our homes as ATMs.

Old 03-03-2008, 12:08 PM

34 posts, read 140,825 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Morrigans Mum View Post
Well We visited Dale City today and it was not as bad as some people make it out to be. The Areas We looked at were clean and welcoming.
Wait till you live there for a while, I lived there for 20 years and recently moved. Take it from me; it is as bad as they say...Check with the Prince William police dept..Gangs and Drugs are rampant..Just letting you know,
in the end it is your decision..

Old 03-03-2008, 02:45 PM

352 posts, read 1,439,530 times
Quote:
Well We visited Dale City today and it was not as bad as some people make it out to be. The Areas We looked at were clean and welcoming.
I would take a look at Dale City over Manassas Park. The properties in Manassas Park that would be in your price range are in a sketchy part of town, West of Route 28 off Manassas Drive. They're typically late 1950's ramblers that haven't been maintained very well.

Dale City, on the other hand, can be quite nice. If you've got kids, keep them out of any district that includes Beville MS and you'll be fine.

Old 03-05-2008, 07:08 PM

My Realtor told me to check out a house in upper Manassas near rt 66 and we loved it. It is in a better part of town near splash down, I met some locals and they were quite kind. We placed a bid on the house and we have our fingers crossed. And the time it takes for me to drive my husband to metro is the same as it is for me to drive him from Alexandria. We have hopes.

Old 03-05-2008, 08:31 PM

67 posts, read 204,756 times
Quote:
Carrol Ave,
Thank you so much for all your very helpful advice, I will talk it threw with my husband tonight, here is to more house hunting.
I liked Dale City when I lived there. I never had a problem. My husband was raised there..his parents still live in Dale City..I think its nice.

Old 03-05-2008, 08:49 PM

3,503 posts, read 7,911,051 times
There is a good part of town near Splash Down? The neighborhood just surrounding Splash Down kinda looks like gang territory - old brick houses with junk cars on the lawn with guys with bandanas hanging around.

Old 03-05-2008, 09:18 PM

67 posts, read 204,756 times
Where is "Splash Down?"
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia