Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-22-2017, 03:14 PM

274 posts, read 703,531 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by finalmove View Post
No. Two adults = $120K min; + 2-kids $40K = $160K total minimum. Less is not realistic. Sorry.
Right here city-data we can browse the map for neighborhood household income. In many blocks, of course, the median income is $200k. If you want to live in one of those blocks, yeah, not realistic under $160k. But there are a bunch of areas in NOVA with a lighter color (i.e., lower income). Don't ignore them.
You sound like, "sorry you can't come to live in NOVA." That's ridiculous.

To OP, you will have a better idea once you browse the income map, but still in many areas considered "low income," it seems like the median income is around 100k. But I do know that the average income of workers in NOVA is not 100k. This tells me that in many households here, both spouses work to make ends meet. Something to consider.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-23-2017, 11:33 AM

14 posts, read 48,615 times
Depending on your housing needs, there are 3 bedroom townhomes for rent in Fairfax or Centreville for under $1,800. One thing to keep in mind if you rent a property listed in the MLS (vs. for rent by owner or an apartment complex) is that the general income requirement is 40 times the monthly rent. So at $1,800 you're looking at a minimum income of $72,000. At $65K, you will likely be able to find a property that will make an exception.

Good luck with your potential move!

Old 01-23-2017, 11:47 AM

18,630 posts, read 19,379,893 times
Quote:
No. Two adults = $120K min; + 2-kids $40K = $160K total minimum. Less is not realistic. Sorry.
Ridiculous.

Old 01-23-2017, 11:53 AM

Assuming your kids can double up in a room. You can find 2BR on the west end of Alexandria for under $1700, several measuring around 800-900sq ft can be had under $1500. I'm sure similar deals are available further out in Woodbridge and along Route 1.

People on here would have you believe everyone in the area makes 6 figures. Yes the median income is high but half of the people living here make less and they have to live somewhere or they wouldn't be counted. One good thing about Northern Virginia is that since their low income areas are dominated by immigrants they aren't really dangerous. Now they may pose something of a nuisance but whatever.

Rental Listings in Alexandria VA - 45 Rentals | Zillow

Old 01-23-2017, 11:56 AM

Quote:
OK, I'll try again. The OP wanted to know if it's possible for a family of four to survive in Northern Virginia on $65K before taxes.

Fairfax County or Arlington County, absolutely not. Loudoun County, unlikely.
Long commutes in this region are notoriously hateful.

Even with the lower rent in the remote boonies of Southern Prince Williaim, it's not realistic.
Our cost of living rivals Seattle or NYC. They would struggle and risk financial ruin.

I'm sure someone could do it. I just wouldn't advise it.
There are several reasonably priced apartments along Route 1 which is Fairfax County. Arlington is admittedly dicey but I bet they could find some older, smaller apartments in the southern part of the county.

Old 01-23-2017, 12:40 PM

1,527 posts, read 2,254,236 times
I wouldn't do it, especially as you have a car payment and a student loan. One major expense could hit your family hard and you would be living very tight in NoVa. I would consider this area again when loans are paid off and you have some cushion.

Old 01-23-2017, 04:55 PM

2,825 posts, read 6,874,525 times
This is the Motley Fool list for 2015 by county. Keep on mind these are medians that show how elevated household incomes are in DMV

[url=http://www.fool.com/investing/general/2015/09/20/the-top-10-richest-counties-in-the-united-states.aspx]The 10 Richest Counties in the United States -- The Motley Fool[/url]

Old 01-24-2017, 09:17 AM

979 posts, read 1,771,200 times
Yikes. We had 2 kids and lived in Sterling on a gross income of about $115k, and I felt like we were living pretty tight. We didn't have cable, I cut my husband's hair at home (only get my haircut 1-2 times a year myself), no vacations, no credit card debt, no real school/activity expenses for the kids (they were very young - my husband was a SAHD, so no daycare expense, either). We did have two cars, but one was paid off. I also contribute 10% to 401k. Our monthly housing payment was about $1900, but we were owners, not renters, so you won't have to worry about the extra expenses we had (oops, need a new water heater! Uh-oh, a/c needs to be repaired! The joys of homeownership.).

I'm sure you could survive, but I personally wouldn't WANT to have to live like that, especially since it sounds like you're not foreseeing any major upcoming promotions/raises.

How old are your kids?
Will you have any flexibility to work off-peak hours? I used to commute from Lake Ridge to Fairfax or Herndon, but I would work 6/7am-3pm.

Old 01-24-2017, 02:23 PM

707 posts, read 1,402,516 times
My family of four took a big gamble and moved to Nova 26 years ago on a combined salary of less then $50k.
It was very tight, we lived paycheck to paycheck and had to be very creative to have christmas every year and
take vacations every year. The gamble paid off for us as we now make a very high 6 figure income.
I would not recommend doing that these days, as it is 10 times harder than it was back in the early 90's.

Old 01-24-2017, 09:49 PM

9,267 posts, read 5,098,829 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EdwardA View Post
Ridiculous.
You seem to want to argue about the cost of living in a nice NoVa area. Pretty sure the OP has no desire to live in some sketchy Manassas Park, or Dale City neighborhood. I could be wrong.

I'll play along and reduce the household income for four to $120K/yr. They would have a crappy existence, no vacations, and always fighting about money. If thats your idea of living, I give up.

It's math---you have to be realistic.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia