Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-05-2017, 09:59 AM

64 posts, read 121,288 times

Advertisements

Hey all,

I currently live in Hampton Roads with my wife, 3 year old and 1 year old and we intend on having a third and final child in another year or so. We currently live in Virginia Beach and are very happy with the area itself but both of our families are from up North and the wife would really like to be closer to family.

I currently make $105k~ down here but with that said, if I want any chance of promotion I likely would need to move to the Northern VA/D.C. area anyways. What would I need to make to live a comparable lifestyle in the Northern VA area? We currently live in a 3 BR SFH that is about ~1200 sqft and cost about $230k. I know housing up there is much more expensive, what would a 4 BR house run up there in a decent area, which has low crime and good schooling since my kids will be in school soon enough?

What is the quality of life like up there? I know the counties are among some of the wealthiest in the country but I have this image of life in the Northern VA area being constant traffic, stress and being on top of each other. Are you able to run to the local grocery store without being in a traffic jam at all times? Can you go to the gym without being on top of each other?

I apologize if my perception of the area is off, this is just what I have picked up on from others who have or currently do live up there..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-05-2017, 10:28 AM

8,821 posts, read 15,271,302 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zxbane View Post
Hey all,

I currently live in Hampton Roads with my wife, 3 year old and 1 year old and we intend on having a third and final child in another year or so. We currently live in Virginia Beach and are very happy with the area itself but both of our families are from up North and the wife would really like to be closer to family.

I currently make $105k~ down here but with that said, if I want any chance of promotion I likely would need to move to the Northern VA/D.C. area anyways. What would I need to make to live a comparable lifestyle in the Northern VA area? We currently live in a 3 BR SFH that is about ~1200 sqft and cost about $230k. I know housing up there is much more expensive, what would a 4 BR house run up there in a decent area, which has low crime and good schooling since my kids will be in school soon enough?

What is the quality of life like up there? I know the counties are among some of the wealthiest in the country but I have this image of life in the Northern VA area being constant traffic, stress and being on top of each other. Are you able to run to the local grocery store without being in a traffic jam at all times? Can you go to the gym without being on top of each other?

I apologize if my perception of the area is off, this is just what I have picked up on from others who have or currently do live up there..
So just as an example, I am in zip 22152 which I consider to be pretty "middle of the road". In my neighborhood the houses are probably slightly larger than what you have now and were built in the late 60s. There is low crime (as can be found in most of NoVA), and people consider the schools to be good. People are very friendly. Recent nearby home sales have been in the $500-550k range and those are homes that have been updated fairly recently.

As far as traffic I think that depends on where your job site is in relation to your home. I almost never have to deal with traffic jams or slow traffic, but I don't drive very far for work and stay within the local neighborhood. I honestly forget how bad it can be for some. Daily errands like running to the grocery store are no issue.

Old 02-06-2017, 03:19 PM

2,189 posts, read 3,306,096 times
Quote:
Hey all,

Life is what you make of it. Being stressed out over traffic really is a personal decision. I understand it can be stressful when there's a bad accident or something and your commute doubles but if you know you can't handle an hour commute don't take a job that would require an hour commute. My last job averaged about 45-50 minutes each way, good day was a little less bad day was a little more. It did not stress me out because I expected it. I've grown up here my whole life though so maybe it's easier for me to deal with than people who move here from much smaller towns.

Going to the grocery store or running errands is not a hassle at all, unless you do it during peak rush hour using roads that are major commuter routes.

Old 02-06-2017, 03:48 PM

2,257 posts, read 2,379,984 times
Like FCNova, I grew up here and yes, the counties here are wealthy but the culture isn't as grandiose as it sounds.

This area is no different from any other metropolitan area outside of a major city. Everything is about what you make of it. There are a lot of high paying jobs, if you seize the opportunities, save your money, live below your means, make strategic moves, you have a chance to really set yourself up for success.

The traffic is a nightmare but oh well, I've come to accept it. It doesn't rattle me nearly as much as it used to. I will say, if you do move here, don't be naive, don't take a job in DC and move to Stafford or Gainesville and assume that it can't be that bad. This is a pretty big region so in terms of low crime that's pretty easy to find, when it comes to schools and the other things you named, that all is contingent upon your budget, your commute, etc. Maybe you should research some cities/towns and narrow your search down to a few places in particular that you're interested in.

Good luck.

Old 02-07-2017, 08:30 AM

795 posts, read 1,003,591 times
Quote:
Hey all,

I grew up in Northern VA and had a long work career in the DC area. Lived in a nice area, kids went to very good schools. We now live in VAB (Retired). So I'm in a very different place in life than you.

Northern VA is very much different than HR. Yes, great job market. As far as the rest:

1/ Very expensive housing.

2/ The culture is much different.You will be constantly interacting with people from all over the world.

3/ Traffic is 100 times worse than HR.

My personal observation is that people in HR are nicer and friendlier than in Northern VA. I'm pretty sure of that after being here 3 years and living in Northern VA 55+ years.

Without knowing everything about you or your job its hard to give solid advice. From what you posted so far I'm not sure you will be able to have the same quality of life as you do now. Even with the bump in salary and future promotions. Especially with a family of 4 or 5. Unless you are willing to rough it for a while in Northern VA. If you were single or couple it would be a no brainier.

I'm not saying don't do it, just take your time and carefully evaluate the pros and cons.

Good Luck to you

Old 02-07-2017, 12:13 PM

26,689 posts, read 41,617,124 times
Quote:
Hey all,

I grew up in Hampton but have lived in Northern VA for 10 years.

1. Traffic is far worse in Northern VA than HR. A trip for groceries is more frustrating than HR.
2. People are far more Type A here than HR which is more laid-back.
3. The area is pretty congested honestly. North Arlington where I live isn't awful. Alexandria and a lot of Fairfax County, different story.
4. No bones about it, life will probably be more stressful here than Virginia Beach.
5. Schools are more competitive but are better quality than HR.

I'm cool with the area as is being a single guy and childfree. I would say if you are financially getting by in Virginia Beach I'd stay there unless the actual promotion makes up for the cost of living difference.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia