Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-07-2017, 05:05 AM

526 posts, read 900,914 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by GravelAdgitator View Post
JD984,

Agreed, every child has a different experience. We're looking for that school that has some transient student body population. It usually, not always, but usually helps those students coming in when the staff as well as the student body are used to seeing new faces every year versus the school where kids have been together since elementary. We also want a diverse school not cookie cutter as our son is used to the funky monkey ice cream vs plain vanilla or chocolate.
We're retired military so I definitely understand what you mean. Rest assured that the schools here have a lot of military kids and there is a constant influx of new students so your kids won't be breaking into cliques that have been unchanged since kindergarten.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-19-2017, 03:27 PM

11 posts, read 80,038 times
South Lakes high school in Reston. Amazing teachers and students. Out business used to get the lovely high schoolers around 4 pm and I adored them. Yes, I actually said that. I ADORED HIGH SCHOOLERS. I was amazed at the maturity and respect these kids had. I spent a lot of time connecting with some of the locals and had a chance to know parents as well. Again, nothing but positive comments coming from the parents. The schools here are very active in soccer and drama. Im cant say anything regarding academics unfortunately so hopefully others here can assist with that.

Old 03-20-2017, 12:58 AM

30 posts, read 30,393 times
Thank you jill, this is one of the top high schools on our list. We're coming back to the U.S. from all IB based schools so we want that option for our son. Have narrowed the list down to 4, which we'll try and visit prior to actually moving in. Not sure if it was this thread or another but someone suggested actually going to each school, during 1st bell and then at the end of the day and see hat the kids are like going into a new day and coming out after a day of school. Makes sense to me but I remember years ago going into school grudgingly and then running out of school at the end of the day

Reston looks like a nice area and there seems to be some townhomes and condos that fit our price range and needs. I have Yorktown, Robinson, Marshal, and believe Falls Church high schools rounding out our top picks. Of course there are others just as good if not better from reviews I've read but they don't offer IB and the housing is out of our price range.

Old 03-20-2017, 01:26 PM

5,125 posts, read 10,090,101 times
Quote:
Thank you jill, this is one of the top high schools on our list. We're coming back to the U.S. from all IB based schools so we want that option for our son. Have narrowed the list down to 4, which we'll try and visit prior to actually moving in. Not sure if it was this thread or another but someone suggested actually going to each school, during 1st bell and then at the end of the day and see hat the kids are like going into a new day and coming out after a day of school. Makes sense to me but I remember years ago going into school grudgingly and then running out of school at the end of the day

Reston looks like a nice area and there seems to be some townhomes and condos that fit our price range and needs. I have Yorktown, Robinson, Marshal, and believe Falls Church high schools rounding out our top picks. Of course there are others just as good if not better from reviews I've read but they don't offer IB and the housing is out of our price range.
Yorktown and Falls Church HS do not offer IB. They each offer about 30 AP courses.

George Mason in Falls Church City (as opposed to Falls Church HS in Fairfax County) is an IB school. South Lakes (in Reston), Robinson and Marshall are also IB schools.

Old 03-21-2017, 03:06 AM

Oh, ok thanks. I think I'm way down the rabbit hole on this and getting confused on what school had/does what and where to live. Think its time to start the spreadsheet.

Old 04-29-2017, 02:33 PM

Ok folks just wanted to touch base on where we're at on homes and schools. We've narrowed the schools down to South Lakes IN Reston, Robinson is Burke. The other 2 G Mason and Marshall do not have housing we can afford or want to spend the monies on.

I'm actually going to DC end of May for a seminar and taking a week to do some recon of these schools and areas. Going to do like one person said and get to the school as the kids come in. Actually have appts to meet with 2 of the schools so we should get a better idea of what we're stepping into.

Again as usual thank you very much for the great information and suggestions. Love this site!!

Old 05-03-2017, 01:44 AM

Dang!! I lied we haven't narrowed our choices down. Just got pinged to add Ashburn to the list. Folks are telling me I could get more house for my monies and schools are decent. True??

Also as I stated we're trying to do the one car family thing, if we were by chance to add Ashburn what are my commute options? Would we need that 2nd car?

thanks

Old 05-03-2017, 04:33 AM

2,189 posts, read 3,316,562 times
If your job is downtown DC then Ashburn will be a horrible commute. There's a major reason it costs less and you get more for you money in Ashburn vs Reston/Vienna/Falls Church/etc. It's much further away from the city.

Old 05-03-2017, 04:42 AM

12,905 posts, read 15,658,187 times
Do not move to Ashburn if you have a job in DC. Sure, people do it, but it's tough. I have one coworker that does it but he has no kids and he gets to work at 6AM. Otherwise the traffic/commute is not manageable. Ashburn is very nice but I would only recommend living there if you work out that way.

Old 05-03-2017, 07:16 AM

9,879 posts, read 14,125,760 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FCNova View Post
If your job is downtown DC then Ashburn will be a horrible commute..
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChristineVA View Post
Do not move to Ashburn if you have a job in DC. .
I agree that one should not drive from Ashburn to downtown DC. That commute will drive you insane quickly. But, Loudoun County does have a commuter bus system that has multiple Ashburn pick-up points, and downtown drop offs that may be convenient to some. While still a long commute, this is not a bad commute.

Quote:

Also as I stated we're trying to do the one car family thing, if we were by chance to add Ashburn what are my commute options? Would we need that 2nd car?

thanks
If you take the commuter bus, you can get by with one car if you live within walking distance to a bus stop (very much limiting your housing selection) or having your spouse drive you and pick you up from the bus station.

https://www.loudoun.gov/bus
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia