Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-11-2017, 04:05 AM

406 posts, read 625,263 times

Advertisements

We're thinking about home-schooling our kids. Really I'm thinking about it and my wife is coming along for the process.

Anyone else home-schooling their kids in Northern Virginia? What are the options? Is there a strong network or community of other like-minded individuals?

We're at the research phase of the process. We may make a decision for next school year.

My major concern is the time needed to execute this idea. Most people we know that home school their children have stay at home spouse. We choose to keep our jobs (inside the business we own) and explore this option.

Anyone know of working parents that home-school their children.

Thanks in advance for you responses.

Onward,

AW
Attached Thumbnails
Home Schooling In NOVA-20151028_074617.jpg  
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-11-2017, 05:52 AM

4,899 posts, read 7,447,740 times
They're adorable. Forget homeschooling -- just sign them with a modeling agency and use the funds for private school!

Old 02-11-2017, 07:37 AM

2,090 posts, read 4,247,503 times
I have family and friends that home school and it takes lots of time to do it right. I don't see how two working parents can take on a third full-time job.

Old 02-11-2017, 10:56 AM

406 posts, read 625,263 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LynchburgLover View Post
They're adorable. Forget homeschooling -- just sign them with a modeling agency and use the funds for private school!
Thanks for the compliment. They are a pleasure to be around.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JfromReston View Post
I have family and friends that home school and it takes lots of time to do it right. I don't see how two working parents can take on a third full-time job.
I see. They see it as a full-time job. That would make sense. That's why so many people I've spoken with have one stay-at-home parent executing this role.

Old 02-11-2017, 11:35 AM

3,167 posts, read 4,002,048 times
I'm not sure you can successfully homeschool and work. Where would they be all day? Most VA homeschoolers are evangelical Christians. If you can fit in with that crowd, you can find some people to get together with. If not, you'll be somewhat isolated. And if you can't attend activities during the day, you will likely be completely isolated. It doesn't sound like a great idea to me. If you don't like your school, maybe there are other alternatives.

Old 02-11-2017, 12:06 PM

2,825 posts, read 6,893,133 times
St Veronicas in Chantilly has a lot of Homeschooling families

[url=http://www.stveronica.net/Pages/Education-and-Evangelization/Homeschool-Group.aspx]St Veronica | Homeschool Group[/url]

Old 02-11-2017, 11:25 PM

3,252 posts, read 2,337,656 times
There are lots of families in Loudoun who home school for many different reasons, most often because the schools don't meet the needs of their children. Many use Classical Conversations and it's amazing what the kids learn! They are far advanced of the public school children.

Old 02-12-2017, 01:13 PM

1,159 posts, read 1,289,811 times
There are a ton of secular and religious homeschool groups and resources in Northern Virginia. Facebook groups and list Serbs are the best option for gathering info.

There are also many people who work and homeschool, especially if they have flexible or unpredictable hours.

Old 02-13-2017, 04:35 AM

1,110 posts, read 896,439 times
I know several families who homeschool, primarily because they are minorities with smart kids, and who are also religious. There are lesson plans available out there, etc.

Not to be flippant, I googled "Homeschooling in VA" and got these results:

https://tinyurl.com/j4f46ta

I know that my homeschool friends have regularly scheduled sports and educational events with other children, so they are not isolated.

You may want to consider Catholic Schools, even though you may not be Catholic. They have an excellent reputation for learning and discipline (Not that your kids are unruly).

Catholic Schools Office
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
View detailed profiles of: