U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 02-19-2017, 06:47 AM
 
Location: Virginia-Shenandoah Valley
6,555 posts, read 10,842,297 times
Reputation: 5563

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carlingtonian View Post
We're going to buy a dishwasher this weekend. Can anyone share their experience (cost, technical competence, punctuality, general quality of service) with using the installation offered by Home Depot, Lowes, Best Buy, Bray/Scarff, etc., versus just having it delivered and paying a plumber to come install it?

I can't find any info on what the installation charges, other than Bray, which charges $180. I think it would be more convenient to have the store do the install, so long as it's not a huge price difference.

Thanks for any tips.
Why don't you quit being so NOVA lazy and wash your dishes by hand? Or are your hands soft and lovely?












LOL. Sorry, nothing for you that will be of much help.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 02-19-2017, 06:50 AM
 
Location: Virginia-Shenandoah Valley
6,555 posts, read 10,842,297 times
Reputation: 5563
Actually I forgot all about Appliance Connection in Woodbridge. We did use them several years ago and we were more than happy. Their reputation is apparently excellent in their field. Or it was back then when we were doing some research.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-19-2017, 09:56 AM
 
631 posts, read 521,531 times
Reputation: 880
Why don't you install it yourself? Its like one of the easiest appliance installs for a DIYer. Just changed one out a few months ago.
One water line, one drain line and one electrical connection. All new should match to your existing connections without any modifications.

You could go out to a nice dinner with the money you saved! Or put it in retirement, kids college fund etc...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-19-2017, 10:19 AM
 
Location: New-Dentist Colony
5,738 posts, read 8,940,261 times
Reputation: 3857
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigfoot424 View Post
Why don't you quit being so NOVA lazy and wash your dishes by hand? Or are your hands soft and lovely?
My hands--indeed, paragons of rugged-yet-gentle manliness--are busy doing CPR on stray kittens, giving free haircuts to the homeless, sculpting butter busts of the romantic poets, and planting sequoias to bother with such plebian undertakings.

Actually, our old dishwasher bit the dust a couple of weeks ago, and we've been hand-washing ever since (in expectation of the big sales this weekend, as Washington and Lincoln would've wanted it).

Thanks for the additional recc on Appliance Connection. We'll see if they'll come up this far and how their sale prices stack up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lovnova View Post
Why don't you install it yourself? Its like one of the easiest appliance installs for a DIYer. Just changed one out a few months ago.
One water line, one drain line and one electrical connection. All new should match to your existing connections without any modifications.

You could go out to a nice dinner with the money you saved! Or put it in retirement, kids college fund etc...
Too much disaster potential for me. Plugging it in I could do, but it's the joining to the drain line that would worry me. That and securing it to the counter.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-20-2017, 04:58 PM
 
Location: NOVA
4,521 posts, read 5,213,628 times
Reputation: 1926
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovnova View Post
Why don't you install it yourself? Its like one of the easiest appliance installs for a DIYer. Just changed one out a few months ago.
One water line, one drain line and one electrical connection. All new should match to your existing connections without any modifications.

You could go out to a nice dinner with the money you saved! Or put it in retirement, kids college fund etc...
I'd echo this too. But I've redone kitchens so those "new install" dishwashers were more challenging. If it's a replacement, changing connection on drain hose and water line. Usually only two or four screws are holding in place under the counter top. Dishwashers almost always have their own fuse to turn off too.

It's nearly identical to swapping out a top loader clothes washer. If $200 is the going rate, then I may have figured out my retirement job.

Should be able to you tube the basics just to gauge complexity. Recently youtubed how to swap out rear wiper on a highlander- yes, I know but it's tricky.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-20-2017, 05:42 PM
 
Location: New-Dentist Colony
5,738 posts, read 8,940,261 times
Reputation: 3857
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnsonkk View Post
I'd echo this too. But I've redone kitchens so those "new install" dishwashers were more challenging. If it's a replacement, changing connection on drain hose and water line. Usually only two or four screws are holding in place under the counter top. Dishwashers almost always have their own fuse to turn off too.
I changed my own oil--in the lawnmower. That's about as handy as I get, other than those butter/cheese sculptures I mentioned above. ("William Curdsworth" looks great! "Coleridge Cheese," not so much. I wanted to do a "Percy Bysshe Smelly" made out of Linberger, but the wife put her foot down. Next I'm going to do "brie brie cummings.")

We just pulled the trigger on a new Bosch; less than $500 installed from Best Buy. This weekend it was free install on the Bosch stuff. They even cart away the old one. (Hopefully they won't screw it up.)

Thanks to all for the suggestions.

Last edited by Carlingtonian; 02-20-2017 at 06:09 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-20-2017, 08:56 PM
 
2,670 posts, read 4,519,607 times
Reputation: 2117
Thanks for the update. Glad it worked out and hope the installation goes smoothly.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-21-2017, 03:33 AM
 
Location: Virginia-Shenandoah Valley
6,555 posts, read 10,842,297 times
Reputation: 5563
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carlingtonian View Post
I changed my own oil--in the lawnmower. That's about as handy as I get, other than those butter/cheese sculptures I mentioned above. ("William Curdsworth" looks great! "Coleridge Cheese," not so much. I wanted to do a "Percy Bysshe Smelly" made out of Linberger, but the wife put her foot down. Next I'm going to do "brie brie cummings.")

We just pulled the trigger on a new Bosch; less than $500 installed from Best Buy. This weekend it was free install on the Bosch stuff. They even cart away the old one. (Hopefully they won't screw it up.)

Thanks to all for the suggestions.


Glad my butt-chewing was of help.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram


Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
View detailed profiles of:
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top