U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-22-2017, 11:06 AM

78 posts, read 107,692 times

Advertisements

Single male in the I.T. field.
I lived in Herndon and worked in Reston, then suddently my job moved to Arlington. And it no longer made sense to stay in Herndon.

Although I am currently renting a nice place in Herndon - splitting a house with somebody - I get the entire lower level of a house (basement) for $850, all utils included. Probably 800 sq ft or more.

I couldn't find such a nice deal in Arlington, the best I could find in Arlington was about the same sq ft for $1000, also a walk-out basement in a SFH. Sq-ft-wise, seems to be about 600 sq ft.

Thinking about going forward with that deal, advice?

Herndon is not cheap but Arlington seems to be more expensive, is that true? Is this price in line with what else is out there? I see single rooms all the time for $900 per room, that's crazy expensive. The closest metro is Ballston and not all that close.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-22-2017, 11:20 AM

7,906 posts, read 9,603,572 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dictum9 View Post
I lived in Herndon and worked in Reston, then suddently my job moved to Arlington. And it no longer made sense to stay in Herndon.

Although I am currently renting a nice place in Herndon - splitting a house with somebody - I get the entire lower level of a house (basement) for $850, all utils included. Probably 800 sq ft or more.

I couldn't find such a nice deal in Arlington, the best I could find in Arlington was about the same sq ft for $1000, also a walk-out basement in a SFH. Sq-ft-wise, seems to be about 600 sq ft.

Herndon is not cheap but Arlington seems to be more expensive, is that true? Is this price in line with what else is out there? I see single rooms all the time for $900 per room, that's crazy expensive. The closest metro is Ballston and not all that close.
Arlington is certainly more expensive than Herndon; due to the proximity to DC. The $1000/mo deal sems pretty good to me.

Old 02-22-2017, 11:27 AM

23,509 posts, read 33,218,075 times
Quote:

$1000 is a bargain for a walkout basement anywhere near a metro. I almost pay that much for a 2nd floor master bedroom with a private bath which is a 10-15 minute walk to Ballston's metro. The basement in my house rents for $1100.

I'd go for the $1k basement without hesitation.

Old 02-22-2017, 11:40 AM

It's about 20 minutes from Ballston,where Highway 50 intersects with South George Mason drive.

I can walk to work in about 10 minutes, no more driving involved.

from reston, takes me about 35 minutes if I leave at 5AM and more like 1.5 hours if I leave at a normal time like 7-8AM.

so its anywhere between 1 and 3 hours of commuting per day.

The place in Reston is $200 cheaper but I burn about about the same in gas every month. Not including the toll road costs.

Last edited by dictum9; 02-22-2017 at 12:07 PM..

Old 02-22-2017, 12:13 PM

943 posts, read 529,856 times
Quote:
It's about 20 minutes from Ballston,where Highway 50 intersects with South George Mason drive.

I can walk to work in about 10 minutes, no more driving involved.

from reston, takes me about 35 minutes if I leave at 5AM and more like 1.5 hours if I leave at a normal time like 7-8AM.

so its anywhere between 1 and 3 hours of commuting per day.

The place in Reston is $200 cheaper but I burn about about the same in gas every month. Not including the toll road costs.
Look at the Arlington place as a $200 price for improved quality of life.

Old 02-22-2017, 12:28 PM

My vehicle is not great on MPG, I easly burn $200 in gas monthly going from Reston to Arlington. I sometimes pay the toll also, so it's somewhere between 200-300 per month in gas/toll - and doesn't even include vehicle wear and tear. Or personal wear/tear.

Old 02-22-2017, 12:31 PM

23,509 posts, read 33,218,075 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rmm0484 View Post
Look at the Arlington place as a $200 price for improved quality of life.
I think $200 to get back two hours a day in commuting is a good deal. I've taken similar deals in the past.

Old 02-22-2017, 12:35 PM

You are certainly correct in that. Its' not just any two hours but the worst two hours in the morning and early evening or afternoon. You have to plan your entire life around traffic.

Go to bed at 9pm, wake up at 0-dark thirty, leave the residence at 4:45 to 5AM..

but financially, it works out about the same it seems. 850+200 or 1050 basically.

Old 02-22-2017, 01:27 PM

2,185 posts, read 2,637,670 times
Quote:
You are certainly correct in that. Its' not just any two hours but the worst two hours in the morning and early evening or afternoon. You have to plan your entire life around traffic.

Go to bed at 9pm, wake up at 0-dark thirty, leave the residence at 4:45 to 5AM..

but financially, it works out about the same it seems. 850+200 or 1050 basically.
You should move, because you're single and Arlington is more fun, and it's closer to your work. Seems like a no-brainer.

With that said Herndon to Arlington isn't that bad of a commute. I'm assuming you're exaggerating the bolded.

Old 02-22-2017, 05:14 PM

It can get bad at prime time. To get on 267, I take exit 11 and things get stopped right there often enough, yes, the whole toll road gets shut down or at least in the condition yellow. The fastest route for me is 66 East to exit 120 south and 66 is a minor nightmare beginning at 6AM and definitely by 6:30 or 7AM. Combined with stoplights around Arlington, that's an hour right there.

Or take 267 and get off 495 South, then 50 east - has its own set of problems. 495 is not that bad but 50 east is even worse than 66 East. Traffic jams and half a gazillion stoplights. Also over an hour easily.

You have to leave Herndon/Reston area no later than 5:30AM to get a comfortable cruise under 45 minutes, 5:15AM is even better. 6AM is way too late. To leave at 5:30AM latest, you have to be up at an ungodly 4-something AM.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia