U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-03-2008, 07:27 PM

104 posts, read 297,967 times

Advertisements

Hello,
We are relocating to NoVa in May due to a job relocation. Does anybody have any experience with living in this area? It seems like a nicely planned community, but am wondering of the accessibility to shopping and medical care. By the community website, it states the community isn't quite finished yet.
Your input is appreciated. And my office is located in Chantilly, so South Riding seemed like a good fit, because we have 2 small children. Suggestions of other areas would be welcome too.
Thank you,
Kevin
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-04-2008, 07:38 AM

407 posts, read 1,629,059 times
It's a very nice planned community and great place for raising a family. There are tons of smaller planned communities throughout NoVa that are nice and excellent for raising a family too. If you prefer the larger/newer communities for starters consider the likes of: Belmont Country Club, Brookside, Brambleton, Broadlands, Stone Ridge, Loudoun Vally Villages, Landsdown, Victory Lakes, Dominion Valley, Ladysmith Village, Morris Farm, McNair Farms. Keep in mind that some of the smaller communities will probably offer cheaper HOA fees than the larger/new communities. There are also tons of very/safe older communities that aren't part of HOA so you can save some money with them. Check out Search New Homes Guide to locate New Homes for Sale in Maryland, Northern Virginia, Washington DC, including New Home Builders, Planned Communities, Active Adult Communties in MD, VA, DC for more information on new developments in NoVa/DC Metro.

Good Luck

Old 03-04-2008, 10:59 AM

847 posts, read 2,426,873 times
We lived in South Riding for two years and liked it. It is a very large community, even larger now then when we lived there. We both worked in Chantilly as well so the commute was wonderful. There are plenty of shopping/dining options in and around South Riding and that is only going to grow. You are close to Leesburg and not too far from Fair Oaks, Fairfax Town Square and even Tysons. It is a very cookie cutter like community so if you do not like the idea of 'Pleasantville' then it is not for you.
There are a lot of families, a tone of kids, great activities and good schools.

Old 03-04-2008, 11:59 AM

4,619 posts, read 3,856,364 times
I agree. There are a LOT OF KIDS in South Riding. I think there is something in the water. I am living in my third house in South Riding and love it. It is the nicest new home communty you can get that is closest to Fairfax County and still be in Loudoun. The shopping is expanding all the time. The new Home Depot opens on March 20 and there will be a Lowe's & Target shopping center coming in 2009.

Old 03-04-2008, 12:29 PM

47 posts, read 221,963 times
No one has mentioned the traffic around South Riding yet but I've heard before that it is terrible around that area. Any comments? We kind of discounted it as a place to look based on that. My husband will be working in Chantilly off Lee Road and kids going to a preschool in Centreville off Braddock Road. Would we encounter much traffic getting to those areas from South Riding? Maybe we need to give it a second look.

Old 03-05-2008, 12:48 PM

847 posts, read 2,426,873 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by emarsh6719 View Post
No one has mentioned the traffic around South Riding yet but I've heard before that it is terrible around that area. Any comments? We kind of discounted it as a place to look based on that. My husband will be working in Chantilly off Lee Road and kids going to a preschool in Centreville off Braddock Road. Would we encounter much traffic getting to those areas from South Riding? Maybe we need to give it a second look.
The traffic everywhere is bad in Nova, I would not use that as a considration anywhere. If your husband is working on Lee Road, he could take the back road, Braddock, up to the road by Westfield High School and get to Lee Road that way. There is usually traffic on that road as well, especially close to the time that school starts but it id not that bad.
You will be fine.

Old 03-05-2008, 02:53 PM

I depends on what time you leave in the morning. As long as you get out before 7:00am or after 9:00am you will be fine.

Old 03-05-2008, 03:29 PM

104 posts, read 297,967 times
Thank you everyone! I will be flying to Chantilly on Monday so I will definitely check out South Riding. Can I ask how long the drive is to D.C. on Saturdays/Sundays? We would really like to take the kids to the museums and other attractions that the city has to offer, and am wondering if the traffic is slightly less on Saturday/Sunday mornings. So, we would like to be fairly close to the city for this reason. Thank you again for the great info!
Kevin

Old 03-05-2008, 03:34 PM

64 posts, read 427,778 times
Traffic to DC is definitely lighter over the weekends... Saturday nights can get a little busy, but for the most part driving into the District over the weekend has always been an easy drive for us.

Thanks!

Old 03-05-2008, 05:23 PM

The drive from South Riding to DC is less than an hour on weekends.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia