U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-23-2017, 05:00 PM

17 posts, read 14,312 times

Advertisements

I appreciate this communities honesty and bluntness towards questions. I thank you ahead of time.

I currently reside in the WNY area and my wife and I are looking to relocate to the DC area. I just received an offer from a company and I am wondering if I am underselling myself. One year of experience from graduation with my BSME and I have a $75k offer. Is that enough to start with around the DC area? We are doing well here and we do not want to go from ok to struggling.

I would have a commute to Manassas and I don't mind a long commute. I have a 30 min commute now and it doesn't stress me out at all.

Thoughts?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-23-2017, 06:05 PM

23,581 posts, read 33,317,596 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by k0hart View Post
I appreciate this communities honesty and bluntness towards questions. I thank you ahead of time.

I currently reside in the WNY area and my wife and I are looking to relocate to the DC area. I just received an offer from a company and I am wondering if I am underselling myself. One year of experience from graduation with my BSME and I have a $75k offer. Is that enough to start with around the DC area? We are doing well here and we do not want to go from ok to struggling.

I would have a commute to Manassas and I don't mind a long commute. I have a 30 min commute now and it doesn't stress me out at all.

Thoughts?
$75k is a very doable salary here. Will your wife be working?

Old 02-23-2017, 06:13 PM

7,929 posts, read 9,653,228 times
Welcome! Your salary is essentially irrelevant to this discussion as only you know what bills/ debt you have and what is considered "comfortable" for you. What you should do is create a budget on that salary and let us know what you feel comfortable spending on housing.

The good news, for you, is that Manassas is where people commute FROM and not TO. So, you will find your most affordable housing out in this area, or even further west, should you like a more rural environment. But, should you choose to live in Manassas, and then decide to switch jobs, you may find a commute heading closer to DC to be untenable.

Old 02-23-2017, 06:32 PM

313 posts, read 459,397 times
You will have an aggravating commute at night (probably at least an hour and half) and a somewhat tolerable (40 minutesish for typical 9-5 job) in the morning. 75k is not much in Alexandria area and while you will not struggle you will see a difference in how much you're able to spend on things you probably didn't bat an eyelash at previously.

If the job offers quick promotional ability and you're ok with not having as much discretionary spending as you probably do in WNY, then take it. I notice you said "we". If you're planning on 75k being enough for two people (or more) things obviously get a lot tighter.

Old 02-23-2017, 06:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Dissenter View Post
$75k is a very doable salary here. Will your wife be working?
Yes. She will be working. We estimate about $50k minimum for job within the area.

Old 02-23-2017, 06:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by spencgr View Post
Welcome! Your salary is essentially irrelevant to this discussion as only you know what bills/ debt you have and what is considered "comfortable" for you. What you should do is create a budget on that salary and let us know what you feel comfortable spending on housing.

The good news, for you, is that Manassas is where people commute FROM and not TO. So, you will find your most affordable housing out in this area, or even further west, should you like a more rural environment. But, should you choose to live in Manassas, and then decide to switch jobs, you may find a commute heading closer to DC to be untenable.
You are right. Expense is important.

I have about $60 k in school debt. $6k left in car payments and besides utilities and $2k in credit debt, that's it.

I would like to budget around $1800 for rent. $2000 is doable as I am not the only source of income bit I like to save wherenI can. A safe area between DC and Manassas is satisfactory. We don't need or look for much besides easy access to nightlife and airports as we enjoy traveling.

Any tips?

Old 02-23-2017, 06:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Badger21 View Post
You will have an aggravating commute at night (probably at least an hour and half) and a somewhat tolerable (40 minutesish for typical 9-5 job) in the morning. 75k is not much in Alexandria area and while you will not struggle you will see a difference in how much you're able to spend on things you probably didn't bat an eyelash at previously.

If the job offers quick promotional ability and you're ok with not having as much discretionary spending as you probably do in WNY, then take it. I notice you said "we". If you're planning on 75k being enough for two people (or more) things obviously get a lot tighter.
She will start working after graduation. We expect a total income of $120k after all is said and done.

As far as the commute, I don't see an issue right now. I probably won't be saying that 6-months in, but I'm willing to take it.

1-1/2 hours for an evening commute? Why is their such a difference between morning and evening commutes?

I was worried about the my salary and Alexandria, that's exactly why I created this post. Can you suggest any communities in-between those two cities that might be a great starting place to start looking at?

Outside of that, how is the economy and company outlook for the area? Just in case things fall apart.

Old 02-23-2017, 07:10 PM

7,929 posts, read 9,653,228 times
Why were you targeting Alexandria to live, if your job is in Manassas? The answer might help us guide you to other areas that make sense.

Old 02-23-2017, 07:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by spencgr View Post
Why were you targeting Alexandria to live, if your job is in Manassas? The answer might help us guide you to other areas that make sense.
We would like to stay closer to an urban setting. Right now in WNY we are in a fairly rural area. As two people growing up in NYC, it's become very distasteful. Opportunities for her will be in abundance closer to DC. Around Alexandria seems like a strong starting place as country life doesn't suit us.

Navigation results don't show the two cities being that far apart, hence why somewhere in the middle would be an ideal goal for settling.

Old 02-23-2017, 08:32 PM

313 posts, read 459,397 times
2000 will definitely get you a 1BR near Mosaic District which is up and coming and still gives you relatively easy access to 66. Arlington is probably where you want to be tho, specifically looking in the Clarendon neighborhood. Your budget should ok there as well depending on how much space you want and how close you want to get to the Orange Line.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or