Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-18-2017, 07:21 AM

2 posts, read 3,828 times

Advertisements

Hi - my wife and I live in Northern Virginia and are looking to move to Reston. We are around 30, Jewish and, while we don't expect the Jewish community to be as robust as Rockville, we also don't want our children to be the only Jewish kids at school or the only Jewish family in any nearby cluster. We are looking at townhomes as SF homes are out of our price range. Right now, we are very excited by Sunrise Valley ES but are also considering Hunters Woods and Terraset. We could also look north of the Toll Road along the Wiehle Avenue corridor.

We know there are other Jews in Reston - with synagogues at Wiehle/Baron Cameron and Lawyers/West Ox and a Chabad in Plaza America - we just don't know where they live. Does anyone have any ideas where the more Jewish populated clusters might be? Does anyone know if there are Jewish students at Sunrise Valley ES and at Hughes MS? Any other thoughts? We really like Reston and hope we can make this work. Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-18-2017, 07:35 AM

4,892 posts, read 7,380,838 times
Not being snarky, but why not ask people at your Temple?

Old 02-18-2017, 07:46 AM

2 posts, read 3,828 times
Fair question: we don't live out there yet and have not joined a synagogue. We're living closer in now. We are planning to visit some synagogues at some point but that might or might not give us a good cross-sample depending on who we meet. This is another source is all.

Old 02-18-2017, 01:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jewish_in_NoVA View Post
Fair question: we don't live out there yet and have not joined a synagogue. We're living closer in now. We are planning to visit some synagogues at some point but that might or might not give us a good cross-sample depending on who we meet. This is another source is all.
I'm not Jewish so I don't know how synagogues work but is there a "fellowship" committee, a governing committee with chairman (for lack of better words) or something similar that you could ask for ideas? How about the Rabbi?

You're right, though, lots more Jewish families in Montgomery County.

Best of luck.

Old 02-18-2017, 06:58 PM

946 posts, read 1,391,931 times
As far as I know, there are no "Jewish clusters" per se in Reston or anywhere near Reston -- just like there are no Italian clusters, Irish clusters, Polish clusters, etc. anywhere in NoVa. (This isn't New York, you know!). I wouldn't worry about it, though. My former next door neighbor was Jewish and active in his synagogue, and he didn't seem to have any problems meeting those who shared his faith. And his was the only Jewish family on our cul-de-sac of 15 houses, and that was absolutely no problem for him or anyone else. Reston is a pretty accepting place.

Old 02-18-2017, 07:38 PM

49 posts, read 150,895 times
The larger synagogue in Reston is nvhc. There are Jews, just much more spread out here. I would call and ask to speak to the religious school director. Our synagogue (closer in) religious school keeps a list of how many kids attend each area school.

Old 02-18-2017, 09:04 PM

9,762 posts, read 15,691,264 times
Hi, I moved out of NoVa (Vienna) 5 years ago, but will throw in my three cents anyway. The Jewish people in Northern Virginia are really pretty scattered. The only somewhat clustered area seems to be in or near Mantua/the JCC. We went to schools in Vienna and my daughter was one of two Jewish kids in her grade, although there was a nice smattering of lots of kids from different backgrounds so it's not like 99% of the kids look the same and all went to the same church, while she was left out. There were Muslim, Catholic, Mormon, Hispanic, Middle-Eastern students, etc. My younger daughter's grade had a few more Jewish kids or kids who were "half" Jewish but still no more than 5 or 6. Now I know Vienna is not Reston, but I'm going to guess that it's fairly similar, although Reston does have a synagogue, so there may be more there.

I do think the best idea is to call NVHC and Beth Emeth and see if you can talk to someone who can help you. The membership director at those congregations should be able to give you some insight as to whether there are some schools with a greater Jewish presence than others. They might even get you in contact with a member. I do know that at our current synagogue, our membership director gets calls like that, and I've talked to potential members about the area.

Lastly, it won't be anything like Rockville! I lived there for 10 years before NoVA, and it's definitely different, but not worse. Best of luck to you!

Old 02-21-2017, 08:03 PM

2,090 posts, read 4,223,139 times
I know many Jews in Reston. They are pretty much scattered about. I am friends with three Jewish families on my street. One family even helped me decorate my Christmas tree this year.

Old 02-21-2017, 08:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JfromReston View Post
I know many Jews in Reston. They are pretty much scattered about. I am friends with three Jewish families on my street. One family even helped me decorate my Christmas tree this year.
Sounds like my old neighborhood in Montgomery County. They helped with Christmas trees and I learned to love kugel! I also found out quickly that the nuns at my Catholic school did not find it amusing when I called my uniform beanie a yarmulke!

OP: If time is on your side, could you talk to people at the JCC and ask for suggestions? If you were looking in Montgomery County, I could give you all kinds of help. Lol. Hope you find a good area!

Old 02-23-2017, 09:40 PM

53 posts, read 84,727 times
As others here have noted the Jewish Community in Northern Virginia is smaller and more spread out compared to say Montgomery County or the Baltimore area.

That said, I don't think your kids will feel awkward or anything even if they are the only Jewish students in their class. Fairfax and Loudoun schools are both very diverse.

I grew up in both school systems and from elementary to middle and high school I was in with students of virtually every background-from old school Episcopalian WASPS, to Catholics, Jews, Mormons, Middle Eastern/Muslims, Latino, Asian, Hindu, Buddist, ultra-rich, lower-income etc.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia