Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-11-2017, 04:31 PM

5,340 posts, read 4,427,425 times

Advertisements

Please resume. Do NOT engage trolls.
Frequently Asked Questions
Do NOT reply to moderator posts that are in RED.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-12-2017, 06:34 AM

3,109 posts, read 2,970,654 times
A soccer team might be a good start. Girl Scouts, Brownies? YAF? Seen a number of classes, where not having friends in class would be a credit. The suburban kids are often very cliquey (like their parents)..girls even more so. Kids can be outcasts for anything from being smart to being white. Thirty plus kids in the class, teacher might be simply holding on for dear life, but you would think they would provide an environment that nurtures social development.

Old 03-12-2017, 05:23 PM

15,431 posts, read 25,807,497 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mlv311 View Post
Dkf747: I am not the OP, but have a child with APD. Hearing is normal but he has difficulty understanding speech and distinguishing between similar sounds, particularly in noisy environments.
Thanks! That's interesting because, although I had a mild hearing loss then, I had similar issues. My hearing loss is much greater than that now, so it's probably not the same thing, but you could describe my experience similar to what you said above.

Old 03-12-2017, 06:08 PM

15,143 posts, read 27,776,049 times
OP hasn't bothered to come back - another one-time poster.

Old 03-12-2017, 07:52 PM

2,867 posts, read 3,555,678 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flamingo13 View Post
OP hasn't bothered to come back - another one-time poster.
Sadly I think you're right. OP, if you're reading this, please come back. Problem has been fixed and would like to try and be more helpful than before.

Old 03-13-2017, 10:16 AM

9 posts, read 5,058 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dkf747 View Post
Thanks! That's interesting because, although I had a mild hearing loss then, I had similar issues. My hearing loss is much greater than that now, so it's probably not the same thing, but you could describe my experience similar to what you said above.

Thanks everyone. Seems like she has a hard time comprehending what we are saying, she also struggles with expressing herself. For example, she would read a sentence fine but if you ask her what she'd just read she has no clue. She doesn't answer questions but instead goes on rambling about random things. Teachers would tell me that they would have to repeat themselves multiple times. Right now she's in girl scout and still doesn't say much and we did swimming but she prefers private lessons. Even with private lessons her coach would get frustrated with her because "she doesn't listen".

Old 03-13-2017, 10:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vectorhead View Post
You would probably get a lot more advice if you posted this in the Parenting forum.
thanks I will, I'm new to this

Old 03-13-2017, 10:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnsonkk View Post
One angle is to go to birthday parties. Usually on weekends, there is opportunities for impromptu friend networks.

Also a couple other locations to make quick friends that may pan out for other events is first meeting kids at one of the following places: big playgrounds where dozens of kids are playing. The big ones that are really nice have way more kids.

Daycare at the gym. Lots of kids there that may be more apt to play vs at school where there already might be cliques.

The pizza place that has LOTS of games. Not sure at 7 but still might be option.

Last idea is to sign up for extra classes at the engineering school, gymnastics, or other school learning centers; there is even one for art and drawing which highly likely be open to new " students".

wow, thank you. I've signed her up for girls scout and swimming. Hope I'm not pushing her too much. I wouldn't have posted anything if she didn't come up to me crying last week. I appreciate your advice.

Old 03-13-2017, 10:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NC211 View Post
Oh man, that must be very frustrating for you and especially the child. Kind of like maybe living in a place that speaks a different language than you?

OP, if you're in Leesburg, we have a great and safe neighborhood where your daughter would be warmly welcomed to come play with the kids! We have a squadron of 15 within a 4-house radius of us.

Best!
thanks for your kind words. This is my first time reaching out to the public and boy I tell you there are some really mean people out there. I'm way in Woodbridge

Old 03-13-2017, 10:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by choff5 View Post
I would start by talking with her school counselor. He/she may be able to give you some insight plus the counselor may have some friendship groups or lunch bunches where she could practice social skills. Or the counselor could give you various resources to read or referrals to various private agencies that offer groups and on social skills.
Thank you! I will reach out to her.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia