Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-09-2017, 09:45 AM

9 posts, read 5,058 times

Advertisements

Hi everyone,

My child is 7 and she has a learning disability (Auditorial processing disability). She's super shy and quiet but at home she's a fun happy bubbly kid. She came to me yesterday crying telling me that no one will play or talk to her in class. Her teacher tells me that she's always by herself during recess and she cannot participate in group activities because she's unable to do so and no one would be her partner. Please help! is there a program out there for kids like this or is there something I can do to help her or say to her? thank you for any advice.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-09-2017, 10:25 AM

15,143 posts, read 27,776,049 times
This thread might be helpful: http://www.city-data.com/forum/special-needs-children/

Old 03-09-2017, 11:18 AM

2,076 posts, read 3,430,427 times
I would start by talking with her school counselor. He/she may be able to give you some insight plus the counselor may have some friendship groups or lunch bunches where she could practice social skills. Or the counselor could give you various resources to read or referrals to various private agencies that offer groups and on social skills.

Old 03-09-2017, 11:57 AM

526 posts, read 900,793 times
You would probably get a lot more advice if you posted this in the Parenting forum.

Old 03-09-2017, 07:58 PM

9,510 posts, read 9,083,933 times
One angle is to go to birthday parties. Usually on weekends, there is opportunities for impromptu friend networks.

Also a couple other locations to make quick friends that may pan out for other events is first meeting kids at one of the following places: big playgrounds where dozens of kids are playing. The big ones that are really nice have way more kids.

Daycare at the gym. Lots of kids there that may be more apt to play vs at school where there already might be cliques.

The pizza place that has LOTS of games. Not sure at 7 but still might be option.

Last idea is to sign up for extra classes at the engineering school, gymnastics, or other school learning centers; there is even one for art and drawing which highly likely be open to new " students".

Old 03-09-2017, 08:29 PM

1,261 posts, read 6,105,295 times
Agree with the recommendation of seeking advice from the school counselor. Also, if she receives speech therapy at school or privately, they can help her role play social situations to initiate play or participate in groups.

Old 03-09-2017, 09:04 PM

2,136 posts, read 5,310,561 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by choff5 View Post
I would start by talking with her school counselor. He/she may be able to give you some insight plus the counselor may have some friendship groups or lunch bunches where she could practice social skills. Or the counselor could give you various resources to read or referrals to various private agencies that offer groups and on social skills.
These are great ideas. My kids' school has weekly "lunch bunch" groups with the counselors on different topics (stress, making friends, etc.). Each group is small and meets throughout a set number of weeks. Both of my kids have done them and have enjoyed them. Their school is large and the cafeteria is so noisy and intimidating...it is nice even just for one day to have a quiet small-group lunch with other kids who may be dealing with the same kinds of social anxiety.

Old 03-10-2017, 05:35 AM

15,431 posts, read 25,807,497 times
What is Auditorial Processing Disability? Naturally, I wonder because I'm Deaf. Does she have problems communicating with other kids ebecauseeveryone she can't hear or is this something else?

Last edited by Ibginnie; 03-11-2017 at 04:29 PM.. Reason: off topic

Old 03-10-2017, 11:50 AM

1,261 posts, read 6,105,295 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dkf747 View Post
What is Auditorial Processing Disability? Naturally, I wonder because I'm Deaf. Does she have problems communicating with other kids ebecauseeveryone she can't hear or is this something else?

Dkf747: I am not the OP, but have a child with APD. Hearing is normal but he has difficulty understanding speech and distinguishing between similar sounds, particularly in noisy environments.

Last edited by Ibginnie; 03-11-2017 at 04:29 PM.. Reason: edited quoted post

Old 03-10-2017, 12:53 PM

2,867 posts, read 3,555,678 times
Oh man, that must be very frustrating for you and especially the child. Kind of like maybe living in a place that speaks a different language than you?

OP, if you're in Leesburg, we have a great and safe neighborhood where your daughter would be warmly welcomed to come play with the kids! We have a squadron of 15 within a 4-house radius of us.

Best!

Last edited by Ibginnie; 03-11-2017 at 04:30 PM.. Reason: off topic
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia