U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-27-2017, 10:54 AM

5,331 posts, read 6,128,474 times

Advertisements

I live near Del Ray and I wouldn't like commuting to Herndon, though I have to say I'm spoiled with a close commute. As regards Fair Oaks, one of my co-workers moved there after living in Crystal City, Arlington and he really missed Crystal City. Del Ray certainly is lively with popular hangouts and social activities but not a college or partying atmosphere.

I work in Alexandria and have co-workers who come in from Chantilly, Herndon, Fair Oaks, etc, so people do that commute. I realize this is reverse direction from what you're contemplating - you'd get some benefit of a reverse commute. Since there is the possibility of your work location changing to DC or the inner NoVA burbs, why not choose the place you'll most enjoy living in? If your job were always going to be in Herndon, I'd probably recommend Herndon or Reston to live in out of sheer practicality, but that changes with the fact that your job is liable to be in various places.

I lived in Fairfax City and nearby burbs for part of my 20s and thought it was terribly dull, then moved to Arlington and later DC and that was the environment I preferred. And not foremost for a partying aspect, but for the walkability and the overall more lively, urban nature of it. But if you're happy with being in a more suburban location and now and then heading out to further-away places for dining/entertainment, then that "down side" doesn't factor for you as it would for me.

The suggestion of Westover is good, too. Quicker in getting to Herndon. Good for getting to other locations if your job moves. Has fewer hang-out options in the immediate vicinity than Del Ray, but is very close to the popular North Arlington spots from Ballston to Rosslyn.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-27-2017, 11:29 AM

4 posts, read 2,736 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by robbobobbo View Post

I lived in Fairfax City and nearby burbs for part of my 20s and thought it was terribly dull, then moved to Arlington and later DC and that was the environment I preferred. And not foremost for a partying aspect, but for the walkability and the overall more lively, urban nature of it. But if you're happy with being in a more suburban location and now and then heading out to further-away places for dining/entertainment, then that "down side" doesn't factor for you as it would for me.

Yes - for the short time I was in Reston further out it was a little boring. That was my hesitation in moving out further to begin with.

I guess I need to decide if loving where I live is worth the drive that everyone says is so terrible. I'm going to look into the others as well.

Old 03-27-2017, 11:58 AM

1,283 posts, read 1,730,763 times
Take a look at google maps and adjust the times. A lot can depend on exactly where. Keep in mind the costs of the toll rd or using the hot lanes when traffic is really bad (often)

Also, Alexandria really leans older as far as nightlife is concerned. I'm considerably older than you, but when I lived in Alexandria as a single person.... I didn't like it much, especially since I moved from Arlington. At the time, Arlington was no great shakes, but you couldn't beat the proximity to DC.

I must not be up on rental prices, but $1400 sounds really low for proximity to metro and even Del Ray. I have a friend that lives in Potomac Yard apartment which is pretty basic for $1600 and considers herself really fortunate.

Old 03-28-2017, 02:33 PM

2,284 posts, read 5,576,292 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NOVA_guy View Post
Mosaic is generic and sterile and I hate to say that because I feel like people easily overuse those words when it comes to certain NoVa suburbs but in the case of Mosaic it's definitely true. I will say, it does have metro nearby which is an advantage but I'd look elsewhere.
Mosaic is full of Millie aged cohabitators with dogs and beer plus Lots of Saudi Nationals and their families (Culture Embassy is there). Good variety of apts/townhomes and sfh.

Herndon is family family family

Reston skews younger with a bit more to do but 1400 is too cheap

Mosaic is also the intersection of 495 (The Beltway) 66 (hell-soon to be all tollroad at that end), Hwys 50 and 29 (both business roads), Dunn Loring Orange Line subway station so easier to get all over DC metro

See if anything is for rent at Langford Condos (New Providence Rd 22042)

Old 03-28-2017, 04:19 PM

5,739 posts, read 8,953,458 times
First of all--and maybe I glossed over this--but you definitely want to rent first. I'd pay the piper and do a 6-month lease at first.

I think you should focus on Reston or perhaps Tysons. Both are very urban, sleek, and safe and will have lots of single folks around your age. Maybe also the area near the Metro in Vienna; I know you're gonna be driving, but near the Metro is where the young singles are.

If cost is no object, Clarendon should be at the top of your list; it's a long haul to Herndon, but it's a reverse commute. It's uber-affluent and commercialized, but it's safe and has a lot of restaurants. There's an Apple Store and a LuLu Lemon--need I say more? Court House (a stone's throw west) is also ideal for you. East Falls Church (that's another Metro stop on the Orange Line) is similar. The only downsides to those areas (other than higher cost) are that you will pay extra for parking.

As to your other contenders: Fairfax is middle-aged unhip suburbia; think Hank Hill with money. Del Ray is middle-aged hipster suburbia pretending it's Brooklyn. It's basically watered-down Portlandia. Old Town is for empty nesters, old gays, and cranky 40-something DINKS like me who just want some peace and quiet and don't want to see anything built after the 1920s when they look out the window of their rowhouse.

Westover (Arlington) might be OK for you; it's mostly middle-aged parents, but right there along Washington Boulevard are some rent-controlled historic apartments and some new condos that look pretty swank. Also consider the apartment complexes along Lee Highway in Arlington, west of Quincy and east of George Mason Drive.

Good luck and you're welcome.

Old 03-28-2017, 04:27 PM

2,284 posts, read 5,576,292 times
Here is the directory for Mosaic

There is an Angelica Theatre, SweetGreen and TrueFood plus various shops such as BlueMercury, lululemon,Timothy Paul and Stellogix.

We don't have Bars per se in Fairfax County. Instead the bars are in restaurants/hotels like Cyclone Amaya, Matchbox and the Hilton

Directory | Mosaic

Plus in Merrifield you have a reasonable chance for a 1 bed at 1400$ month a mile and 1/2 walk to the Metro Station.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or